Donít want to do it (colonoscopy) - GI-related Diagnostic Tests - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Donít want to do it (colonoscopy)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DebDeb

DebDeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

Advertisement
I have within the last week gotten under control a 2-month flare of IBS triggered by antibiotics. In the middle of the flare, my GI doctor scheduled a colonoscopy - which is tomorrow - to see where the inflammation is located. This was the earliest possible date. From the beginning, nothing helped this flare, no dx of anything else, hence colonoscopy. I began my colonoscopy prep a couple hours ago, and I feel sick: cramping and gas, shaky - and I realized I not only didnt want a colonoscopy, but that the prep was making me sick. I dont think I can - or should - continue the prep. It has only been in the last few days that I have felt normal. And so now I am going to deliberately cause the same sx I just got rid of?
I am not due for a colonoscopy until next year. This one was scheduled because at the end of March, I was pretty sick. Then slowly, over many weeks, my system began to settle down until today. I cant bring myself to continue the colonoscopy prep to undo what was approaching normalcy, Right now I plan to cancel in the morning and risk whatever penalties they might charge me for canceling the day of.
Anyone have an opinion and/or an experience/reaction like mine?
Hello, by the way - I am new.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13141 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:53 AM

so sorry you're having problems.

there are low dose colonoscopy preps available.  might want to try one of those next time.

good luck.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:32 PM

I completely understand how you feel. It's a delicate balance, and when I am just coming out of a flare up I don't want anything hurting my gut even more.

But in the end -you are in charge. YOU make the decisions and it is YOUR body, no-one else's. So if you pulled out of the prep/colonoscopy that is your own choice.

Now....what you could do is explain to your GI doctor/primary care doctor/GP why you didn't want to do it, how you were feeling (much sicker in lots of ways) and ask for some stool tests instead. A lot can be found in simple non-invasive stool testing.

I feel maybe they should have done these first to be honest. Only if they had found any red flags, THEN refer you for a colonoscopy.

Inflammation -even slight, can be found; any bleeding -even slight, can be found (anywhere in the GI tract) There is a long list of possible suspected conditions that can be almost 100% written off from the results of a stool test.
The tests are for Calprotectin, Lactoferrin, and traces of blood.

I don't feel the gung-ho, invasive approach ought to be  the first line of investigation, but only if advisable after stool test results.

Kind wishes.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here