Sound Therapy, anyone? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Sound Therapy, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 22 September 2000 - 12:58 PM

Advertisement
Going out on a "dangerous" limb here.....Anybody here tried Dr. A. Weil's (or any other) CDs for healing? I bought some a few weeks ago. I try to listen most days, but I haven't lately and miss my sessions. The theory is that certain arrangements of various types of sounds may help in the healing process by evoking different brainwaves. Interesting. Who knows..... But, for now, I know that the music is restful -- so I'll continue! If anyone wants any more explanation, I can get it for you. The theory is kinda sorta similar to the hynotherapy theory -- with some differences.[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 09-22-2000).]

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6922 posts

Posted 22 September 2000 - 03:16 PM

Hi HipJan:I don't have any idea, but music sure can be restful and relaxing. I have a tape of Tibetan bells that I listen to now and then and it sure is soothing.JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 22 September 2000 - 03:47 PM

Jean, I believe that Tibetan bells (and some other non-Western instruments) are supposed to help evoke certain brainwaves associated with the subconscious at a deep, restful level.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2562 posts

Posted 22 September 2000 - 04:12 PM

I used to have a friend who got a job doing music therapy in hospital schools. HipJan, I'd love some more information about it if you can suggest some good info! I am sure that music is beneficial even though I don't know why. It is something to do with helping the brain work as well. That is why listening to baroque music or some classical music is great - it is in a 4/4 rhythm and apparently this is what the brain works like too. Listening to 4/4 music can help with concentration and memory. It is being used in some schools! Anyway, that's a detour... susan

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 24 September 2000 - 06:28 PM

hi, wanderingstar. how neat to have a job in sound therapy! I'm in a bit of a rush now, but I'll try to type in some info. later; the only info. I have, though, is from the booklet that comes with the CDs. It would be great to learn more, though, I agree!

#6 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts

Posted 24 September 2000 - 09:09 PM

I feel better listening to some slow, rhythmic piano music (not classical) like David Lanz. His song "Desert Rain" seems to help me relax and move things along in my inert, bloated abdomen.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 26 September 2000 - 07:35 PM

AD -- I'll have to check out that music.Wanderingstar -- Some info. from the book with the CD:"The selection of music on this album was guided by the priciples of psychoacoustics, the new scientific field that studies the effects of sound on consciousness...The technology that makes this recording unique is the use of beat frequencies to influence brainwaves, allowing you to enter states of consciousness different from your normal waking state. In these states, close to unconsciousness but focused and still retaining connections to thought, beneficial changes can take place... Based on my knowledge of the research in brainwave biofeedback that has occurred over the past 30 years, I beleive that we can now identify patterns of brain activity and use technology to help people experience these patterns to further their growth and development, including their natural potential for healing... It's not a matter of wishing oneself well or thinking positive thoughts; rather I think the problem is to keep the mind from intefering with the healing system." etc.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2562 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 04:17 PM

"the use of beat frequencies to influence brainwaves"this is really interesting HipJan, thanks for the info. This kind of ties in with hypnotherapy and meditation I think, in terms of going to a different state of consciousness that can promote physical and emotional healing and well-being. I know with transcendential meditation ™ the brainwaves are affected - during meditation you get more Alpha waves *I think*, any way, it's one of the brainwaves. TM also has an ordering effect on the brain function, which can be indicated by EEG (electro - enchephelo) changes during TM. I wonder if this is what is also happening with the sound therapy?? Very interesting! I know that certain activities can promote more ordered brain function, particularly things with a constant rhythm, like doing the same stich in needlework over and over, or playing some Bach, or some scales on the piano. I think we should all conduct a study on brain waves during these kinds of activities whilst we're hooked up to an EEG!!thanks again for the info,susanp.s I sent you an email about how ME/CFS is diagnosed.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 05:14 PM

got your message...thanks!yes, interesting stuff, isn't it?

#10 junozinger

junozinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:30 AM

I am also using sound therapy to improve my life, I have put them into a collection and can be enjoyed at https://dzwonkinatel...lepsze-dzwonki/

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here