Can't pass gas! - Page 2 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can't pass gas!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

I find enteric coated peppermint capules are very helpful at relieving my trapped gas (which used to be really bad).

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 03:10 PM

Me too - about the beans. A couple years ago, I was trying to tell my nutritionist that beans actually seemed to make me feel better, but he didn't believe me. Beans have a lot of fiber in them.I think what flux may be trying to get across, though not terribly clearly, is that apparent problems with gas may (or may not) stem from other more serious problems, such as pancreatitis, as one example. I believe he is not saying that "trapped gas" doesn't exist. ?? So we shouldn't always tell ourselves, "it's just gas," - as I often tell myself - because the core problem could be something else. In my own case, since we believe we've ruled out the pancreas, my core problem has to do with either my gallbladder or my stomach or my body's tendency to spasm (or all of those).

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 03:44 PM

I have exactly the problem you have and it has been 19 years with the same problem. This will work but it is strange. I don't even remember how I ever came to do this but it works. I use my fist or a roll of toilet paper and I put it on my lower abdomen while sitting on the toilet and then lean forward and push down I find the trapped gas and push it down through my intestines until it comes out. Believe it or not I have done this for as long as I can remember and if I didn't I might as well be dead, because it has been the only way to get it out and revieve the pain. I feel like a human whoopie cushion but when you have place to go and money to make, and a life to live, you do what you have to do. It works, and nothing else ever has.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 05:32 PM

I'll try again; my monitor popped and my Internet connection went out on me when I was finishing up my last post here.I take it back for the time being...about Flux admitting there is such a thing as "trapped gas." :( I thought he'd kinda sorta admitted to painful trapped gas (or our difficulty in regularly releasing gas in a normal way), but a fellow BB poster who frequents this forum more than I do has assured me otherwise. Whatever, I was just trying to be open and neutral here!Meanwhile, I believe all of us, as best we can, need to search for a root cause to our painful gas problems - which, of course, is what we're trying to do here! For example, since in my case we believe we've ruled out the pancreas (whew!), we're left with the gallbladder and/or stomach once again. Right now, regular heavy doses of ranitidine (Zantac generic) have helped a fair amount; antispasmodics also appeared to help, but I began having bad side-effects.I seriously doubt most of us here on this GI-related BB board, feel like we're pumped full of gas due to simply regularly swallowing too much air - though that is the basic "textbook" answer and could certainly be a possibility for some that also should not be overlooked.

#25 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10398 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 10:49 PM

quote:
feel like we're pumped full of gas due to simply regularly swallowing too much air - though that is the basic "textbook" answer
Don't think I've ever seen that in any textbook.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#26 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:09 PM

:(

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:45 AM

What kink of text books do you read flux? I'm a registered nurse. What background do you have? Just curious!!

#28 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10398 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 03:59 AM

quote:
What kink of text books do you read flux?
For physiology, Berne and Levy,For general med, Merck Manual and Harrison's.For general GI, Yamada.There are too many specific GI motility books to list and of course, the major GI journals: Gastroenterology, AJG, Gut, etc.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8831 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:27 PM

Interesting point about swallowing air and textbooks.. Way back in 85 that was the first thing they asked when I said I had gas-, "Do you swallow air?" I have read in many places the connection of swallowing air to gas since then- Can't recall if it was in journals. It is surprising that textbooks like Yamada don't mention it.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:27 AM

there is such a thing as swallowing air and causing gas, think about babies!!!! when they drink from bottles as opposed to breast feeding they have alot more gi problems. this is a known fact!!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 03:54 AM

Eversince I started taking Lomotil for my IBS-D, I haveb't had a gas problem, aand I used to live my life in fear that It was going to come out and out and out. Before, when I was bloated and couldn't get rid of it I used Baby Gripe water, and then put a heating pad on my belly. It really worked for me.Luilu

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 02:25 PM

This might sound strange, but I have a "corn"pack that I heat up in the microwave that is my gas releaser! I just lay down and put it on the lower left side of my tummy and it really helps me get rid of the gas! I make the corn packs for myself and I think they are great. My doc just switched me to Zelnorm and it seems to help some too.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:55 PM

For trapped gas:Exercise works wonders. After my third c-section I had horrible, horrible trapped gas. Mylicon wouldn't touch it. So I walked the corridors dragging my IV pole around with me. It took a while, but it finally all came out. Now when I have that problem if I walk around or do some sort of exercise it works. About swallowing air-I'm an air swallower. Usually it just makes me belch (charming, I know)but I also get the trapped gas too. Not quite sure how to fix that problem...I don't even realize when I'm doing it...the air swallowing, I mean. :(

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:33 PM

fleet glycerin suppository

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:36 PM

Re. walking, lots of luck, I've tried walking for 3 hours, when the gas is trapped, it is trapped. I have a treadmill I use every day for 30 minutes, still lol

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:41 PM

Re. beans suggestion. Beans won't digest on me. Try to come out in exactly the same format as they went in, little hard balls,

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 04:46 PM

i have these symptoms too.Alone

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:35 AM

Hello fellow sufferers,I suffer with IBS-C occasional D. Sometimes, the build up of gas seems to be in my lower bowel, at other times in my intestinal tract, causing me huge discomfort and great distress. Like many of you, I also have various coping mechanisms. The doctor suggested not mixing carbs and protein and this really works when I stick to it religiously. I have found that being physically active really helps me to feel good in general and this controls my symptoms. I walk as much as possible, swim twice a week, yoga once a week and I have a sauna when I swim. Saunas are wonderful and make me really feel relaxed. I also sleep like a baby afterward (without colic). I have also discovered 'Colpermin'. It is an over the counter medication, 'Relieves the painful spasm and bloating of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.' This is available in UK, but I cannot speak for elsewhere. If I go abroad, I stock up! It contains peppermint oil and is designed to work in the lower bowel. This really works wonders for me and when the gas feels like it is trapped and can't escape, this relaxes the bowel and lets it out discreetly. A wonderful Relief Posted Image Good luck everyone

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:10 PM

Cindy from Texas, I think your list is helpful. For me, the most helpful is the self-talk. For the last three weeks I have been constanly asking "why me?" My boyfriend said I need to start taking things day by day. Ask myself how I feel today and if it's good, then enjoy the hell out of my day. If it's bad, take it for that and realize that I'm otherwise healthy, I'm not going to die from this and to think as positive as possible. I can't beat this, but I have to do what I can to deal with it because I refuse to allow this to wreck my life. I take things way to seriously and always make myself sick worrying about things I can't control. I can't fix this, but I can try to limit it and that's what I'm going to do!! I love these boards and have been reading them like crazy! You are all so helpful! Posted Image

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:42 AM

Sounds like you've got a great attitude. Keep it up!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here