Anyone tried the Amitiza? - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried the Amitiza?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:00 AM

Advertisement
This new drug for constipation just came out onto the market in the USA this week. I was wondering if anyone has tried it.It works completely differently to Zelnorm but I am not completely sure about the way that it does work. It doesnt mention anything about helping with pain though but I would love to hear any feedback anyone has.

#2 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I saw from a business wire (by using a search engine) that Amitiza will be at drug stores. I got a script from my Dr. and I asked my pharmacy to order it in, from the warehouse. It is covered by my PDP (Pescription Drug plan--Medicare Part D).

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

Spasman,Havent been able to use cp for a while and just noticed you started takind Amizita. It sounds like it is working for you but how is your pain?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Screeb,Have your tried Amizita yet? Please let us know how it works for you - I hope you're doing well on it.

#5 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Regulatory volume decrease (RVD) is a protective mechanism that allows mammalian cells to restore their volume by the release of ATP that in epithelial cells is compartmentalized to the basolateral membrane. When Amitiza shrinks the cells, the above effect is reversed and there is a reduction of ATP at the sub-epithelial/mucosal layer. This results in a decrease in Ca++, (asssociated with ATP at this layer), and increased Ca2+ is required for DCA-mediated induction of PGE2 synthesis. Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) led to a decrease in the amplitude and frequency of pacemaker currents; therefore, decreased PGE2 (via the mechanism above), will lead to increased ICC-MY firing and decreased constipation. However, Zelnorm also causes increased muscular contractions, so Amitiza is probably the equivalent of Zelnorm. I like Amitiza more than Zelnorm because it doen’t give me as many spasms but more diahhrea, (which is different).

#6 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

What's the difference in cost? I have to pay 100% of everything until 4500.00 to meet the deductible. So I pay about 90.00 for 30 pills of Zelnorm.
Tiss

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

Yes i did try the amitiza. I work in a doctors office and the drug rep came in one day with this awesome new drug and i was like OMG i had to have it. I called my GI and he told me that i would be a great candidate for it. So i tried it, and you know what happened. i had severe nausea and headaches everytime i took it. They tell you to eat with it so that you can get rid of the nausea but that doesnt seem to work at ALL. So now i am only taking it when my zelnorm doesnt work. I take different ones and rotate my meds in order for it to work for me. But its a really good drug if you dont get the severe side effects.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

Sorry you had such a bad response from the new med. The little I've heard about it everyone seems to say exactly the same thing.I tried it twice and it did nothing - good or bad - I guess I'm one of the lucky one's after what I've heard about this medication.Sometimes I wonder how effective the trials they do on medication really are and how they get approval from the FDA. Havent heard a single good thing about this drug unfortunately.I too take Zelnorm. I hate the side effects though - mainly the additional pain but it does help me "go" I have a "cant live with it but cant live without it" relationship with Zelnorm"Thanks for your feedback Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

Sure thing, i have learned that i can take it when i havent done it for a while. Ofcourse i cant take it twice a day but i can take it like twice a week just to get things moving again. Its nuts, like you say, the FDA must not know too much, but i guess i was just desperate for some relief and am willing to try anything. My doctor is sending me a new prescription thats in the form of a powder that he wants me to try. I am waiting for that to come in but wish me luck. Take care.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Screeb,I think you are the only one I know that has had some positive results from Amizita. It scares me though because I was not able to "go" at all with it ( I didnt have any adverse effects though) but was very constipated and I dont even have a colon)

#11 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Typical Phase III trials have more than 1,000 people enrolled, are blinded and placebo controlled and have enough power to show A) it is more effective than placebo and :( what the major side effects are.Just because a drug didn't work for a couple of people doens't negate that it may work for a good percentage of people, or how well it did in clinical trials. I expect we will need to wait a year or so before we really have enough users posted to get a good feel for how it works for people who get it from their doctor.There may be rare side effects they don't see, but they usually get all the biggies in the trials.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:14 AM

Hello,The doctor is giving me samples of amitiza today. I hope i have better luck than some of you have. Zelnorm is not working at all. I have been trying 2 TBS of mom every few days, but most of the time that doesn't even work. My colon is so stubborn. All i feel is bloated and gassy. Jeaqn

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:14 AM

oops....Jean Posted Image

#14 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:23 AM

I take the Amitiza in the morning, after my coffee, and even if the coffee doesn't cause complete evacuation, the Amitiza does. After 20 years of not having a B.M. without the aide of coffee, low and behold, with the Amitiza I have had an afternoon B.M. (without coffee). If the Amitiza didn't clear me out, I would get an accumulation of feces, and my other regimen wouldn't work, (psyllium husks and Questran--and I don't go at all). The Amitiza seems to be an excellent preventative medicine, against the slow accumulation of feces.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Today is day 3 of the Amitiza. This morning I woke up feeling fat and bloated, and a little sick to my stomach. I had some results from this on day 2 but not as I would have liked. Side effects are do-able, even though I had to put on sweat pants instead of my jeans. It's not the first time for that though. I will keep taking it and see if I get any improved results. For Tiss who said needs to pay so much for these pills, I have insurance so my co-pay was $40.00. Without insurance for 60 pills was $195.00.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

Please keeping posting about updated and progress on Amizita.I am still trying it and it seems to have no effect. I tend to take it about 3 times then stop. The pain with or without it is so bad and keeps fluctuating in intensity that I'm not sure whether its just my syste, pr Amizita. Its just hard to get things moving.

#17 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi 2B Posted ImageIt's weird that you still feel constipated with no colon. Posted ImageI tough the small bowel was about 7mm(diameter of a small finger) which is primarly liquid content.Perhaps it is trapped gas. Posted Image
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#18 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

You know what,i was wondering since a long time that in my case the bloating of the colon could be caused by the small bowel fermentation or whatever what's in there.I still think about the small pill camera.A new dissolvable pill is on the market i think.Do you want to try it?
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hmmm i never thought of it that way. I dont have my large intestine either and all i have is trouble. I do get a lot of liquid but sometimes i am straining soo much. My doc says that it just sits in my rectum and then have to use suppositories in order to go. I only use the amitiza when i am desparate now because it makes me so nauseated. I am starting a new med that my primary doc gave me to see if it helps me with my pain management now.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

rbrockport,I am so glad you wrote - I can relate to what you are going through, the straining, pain etc. It sounds like you have a doctor that is really trying to work with you.I hope you dont mind, I sent you an e-mail and hope to hear from you soon. Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here