Anyone tried the Amitiza? - Page 2 - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried the Amitiza?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:34 PM

sure thing.... love to hear from you

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:19 AM

Does one usually have to take Amizita for a few days before it takes effect? I have taken it for 2 days and nothing has happened, should I carry on or is there likely to be no reason?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Wow thats very unusual. I took it my first day and had results within an hour. Started getting weird dizzy spells though and nauseated. Everyone is different.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

I have heard that nausea and dizziness is the most common side effect. How long did you take it for? Do you think that just maybe your system may get used to this side effect over time, or is it too bad to tolerate it?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

I stopped taking the Amitiza. It did nothing for me. I did have results from it the first day, but nothing since then. I had a hard time dealing with the side effects I was having. I had a constant headache, tired all the time, and so bloated, that it made me feel even more uncomfortable than when I just plain old couldn't go. It made me feel dizzy and sick to my stomach also. I guess it was worth a try. Is this working for anyone???

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hi, i tried many times and each time i try it i almost vomit. It takes me about a half hour after i take it to have a bowel movement but have horrible dizzy spells and nausea each time i take it. I guess i only take it as a last resort. Its kind of odd because there will be somedays that i will take it and have no symptoms at all and other days, maybe its when i am severly constipated, i am severly sick where i have to put my head down. Its just kind of odd if you ask me.

#27 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

[quote]rbrockport,take the caps and remove half of the liquid Amitiza.You never know,the half dose maybe more tolerable.And oh yeah being upside down release immediatly some gas.Very helpful.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

From what I've heard nausea and headaches do seem to be the most common side effects and not really tolerable. The positive doesnt seem that good and definately not worth the adverse effects. Posted ImageIts not possible to take less of the capsule, its seems like a pretty solid, inflexible one. I've tried to pierce a hole but its not possible.I sure wish they'd come out with something more effective and with less side effects. Wonder if there's anything in the pipeline??

#29 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:14 AM

Have you tried suppository 2btrue?It really help in the meantime. Posted Image
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

Unable since surgery - pain too intense.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

I was wondering if there is anyone here that has gone on disability - that is no longerable to work because of this.I had probally my worst bout with pain because of this in the past week. It was so much more painful than having a baby. I was literally screaming in pain. Im sure the neighbors could hear & thought that someone in my house was having their limbs ripped off! It was terrible and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I get so frustrated. Sometimes I just cant handle this.It has ruined my life.

#32 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

Actually yeah,having any kind of concrete in the bowel is not an easy thing to live with. Posted Image
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:34 AM

Katie,I Have and I believe I really understand what you are going through. I've sent you more info in your message box.Hang in there, you arent alone Posted Image

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

I have tried everything ...lastly the Amitiza that did nothing for me... I am at such a point of frustration . I do a fleet enema EVERY night-In the cases where I have gone 2 days or more I have suffered such pain when trying to go ...and have had no success until and unless I was able to do the fleet ...but the pain was agonizing so to avoid that I do the enema every night ..my gi says ...live with it ...so, friday I see a new one after 2 years with this one. I am hoping to get some answers , however after reading about yall Im not sure there are answers out there , this is so discouraging and not normal Posted Image

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

My GI doctor put me on amitiza along with my Zelnorm and some Fiber Con as well.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

Ashjoybabe,Does this work for you?

#37 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi,I switched GI and he immediately switched me from Zelnorm 6mg/day+Omeprazole 40mg/day to Amitiza 24mcg b/d+Ranitidine 300mg b/d. Since I was "regular" (ish) for the first time in a year on the Zelnorm, I was apprehensive at his bullish attitude.After 6 days I've not had a BM. Even Milk of Mag won't work, and that's nearly always worked in the past. He says I should stick at it for 2 weeks before quitting, if I get no movement.Strangely I've had no IBS pain which is highly unusual. Normally I spend about 60% of my time in some kind of abdominal pain.- is anyone "regular" on Amitiza?- anyone else notice a reduction in abdominal pain?- someone please motivate me to see this 2 week period through!Pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi Pete,2 weeks can seem like a life time! I have had no results from anything the Doctors have given me. I have recently started using a colon cleanse kit, and I have been able to have a bm almost daily, and my pain level is a lot better. I go to iherb.com to get it for $17.99. I don't know if you want to try it, or if you can find it elsewhere for a lower price. For me, it has been working - and because of that I will use it. It also has a follow up stuff that you can use after the 2 weeks of the colon cleanse is up. It has all the information inside the box.Good luck if you want to try it - all I know is that I was desperate, and this is the only thing that has helped me.

#39 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Hi,these two weeks sure are feeling like a long time that's for sure... Without going into gory detail, by what mechanism does the colon cleanse work? I'm assuming an enema or suppository and I've no idea if those are suitable for long term use...?I sneaked a tablet of Zelnorm the other night and that got things moving very effectively. Unfortunately since then my IBS pain's been back and I've been feeling grim. Marvellous.pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

It is actually a pill!!! That's the best part of it!!! I have colonic inertia though - and that is what is working for me...

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here