Anyone tried the Amitiza? - Page 3 - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried the Amitiza?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

Be careful with most colon cleanse products, most of them contain the same herbs that are in Ex-lax and other stimulatory laxatives (aloe latex, senna, cascara).You doctor should know this is what you are doing and make sure it is appropriate for you. Some people can handle long term stimulatory laxative use, but some people end up having symptoms of over-use and can have a hard time getting off of them.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

My dr put me on Amitiza a month ago after Zelnorm was removed from the market. I currently take Miralax and Bentyl along with a fiber supplement. I can honestly say that Amitiza works a lot better for me than the Zelnorm ever did. I was talking Zelnorm mostly to control the bloating and gas, and I was taking Miralax 2x daily and avoiding all fresh fruits and veggies because of the pain I was in when i ate them. Today, I'm using the Miralax once daily and I'm eating salads and fruit again. No gas or bloating either. The nausea is killer! But i just make sure I eat half of my meal, then take it and eat the other half. If that does't work i take some anti-nausea serum. This is the best I have felt in a year and a half. I can take 30 minutes of nausea in exchange for 23 hours a day of relief and no pain. Plus, I'm up to 3 stools a day! Woo Hoo!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

i just started amitiza today. problem is i cannot swallow pills so i ended up chewing on it! my pharmacist says that it can cause more nausea, but no nausea yet for me.anyway, i went about less than an hr after taking it. still feel a little bloated, and i'm sure i could go more... but ihave never taken zelnorm, but tried all over the counter.my doc said to take amitiza with benefiber.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

I've been taking it for about a month...when is used up all of my remaining Zelnorm. It doesn't work for me. With Zelnorm, I was somewhat regular, but not now. I'm back to all the bloating, gas, etc. I read an article that you could get some sort of "special access to Zelnorm" if your doctor said no other drug worked for you...any information???

#45 Mary5

Mary5

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hello I am currently taking Amitiza, again. When I first took it several months ago it worked for a while then it stopped. So I tried to go without it, awful, so used OTCs and now I started yesterday again. It does work for me at the beginning. I do have a little bit of nausea and also when I go to the bathroom it is mostly runny stools but at least something is happening. However, I hope to find a better way since I am still very bloated with gas and also pain.I am interested in what other stuff people take with it. In the past my doc insisted with the Myralax/Glycolax but I find all it does is turn whatever is in there into slush and then it just sits there, this powder does not prompt me to go at all and then I am in awful pain. As for fiber supplements I am very very scared of them. Again, in the past they worked and then just started accumulating and had some terrible terrible days.So I would like to find a complement to the Amitiza other than Myralax. Also to get down to 1 pill a day(it is awfully expensive). Pete, 2 weeks is a loooong time to wait for a bowel movement. I believe 3 - 5 days is about all your body should take.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

My GI Doc gave me an Rx for Amitiza in June after I used up all of my beloved Zelnorm. I was so saddened that all it did was make me go once (and diarrhea, at that) and basically sidelined me for a few hours with such severe nausea, dizziness, and headache - I felt like I had the flu or the worst hangover ever!So I was only able to try it for four days because I literally was unable to do anything for a few hours except lie in bed/sofa within about 20-30 minutes of taking it. That is just too much of a strain on me and my family who depend on me.So...thanks to this forum, I learned about the Medsmex and Zelmac - I ordered it there (Zelmac) and it is GREAT! Arrived in about 10 days from my order. The only thing is that I was SO nervous signing for it at the post office!(It is sent registered mail.) I recently ordered the generic tegaserod from Torrent in India through InHousePharmacy - it was only $80 for 100 pills which included shipping - alot cheaper than Medsmex! But it is generic; I will start them in a few days when the zelmac runs out.I did "fess up" to my GI doc about the "Zelmac" and he said, "Well if it works for you then go for it; I won't bust you." (said humorously)He then gave me an Rx to try, noting that he has only seen about 40% success rate with it. It is the 10-day antibiotic treatment of Xifaxan. I have not tried it yet - partly because I will wait until I am out of Zelmac, partly because the studies I've read notes that its most effective for people with IBS-D, not the C type I have. My insurance did cover it, luckily, so if it doesn't work when I try the 10-day course, I'll only be out $20 instead of $200!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

This new drug for constipation just came out onto the market in the USA this week. I was wondering if anyone has tried it.<BR><BR>It works completely differently to Zelnorm but I am not completely sure about the way that it does work. It doesnt mention anything about helping with pain though but I would love to hear any feedback anyone has.

i sufer bad forming a poo any help and what is zelnorm will they help me do you no anythink about soulble fiber is it better to eat that fiber is fiber gel soulble

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Amitiza also made me very sick. I was really hoping I wouldn't have bad side effects, but after trying it for 7 days, I had to give up. It was very difficul to work and function at all because I felt so sick all the time. I was really disappointed that I couldn't take it.I'm going to try some digestive enzymes. At this point, I'm ready to try anything.Has anyone else tried the enzymes?

#49 janetmtt

janetmtt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'd also like to know about the enzymes and if it helps with C. My friend who takes them regular reckons they do as her grandson also has C problems and his mum got him some childrens enzymes and she says he's fine now - no C. So if anyone has had success with them please let us know what kind you take.

#50 sally-p

sally-p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

Regarding Amitiza, worthless! Regarding enzymes, I have been taking acidophilus for about one year. I first got it at Target but now get it on line. It's the kind that has to be refrigerated and taken with a meal (one cap a day). It helps with digestion and pain. It's by Nature's Bounty Probiotic Acidophilus 10 mg. Don't get anything with too high a content, seems to have the opposite effect. I also take Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil and a stool softener.

#51 sally-p

sally-p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

Yes, I received disability for IBS-C.

#52 Lauri

Lauri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

You were able to get disability benefits because you have IBS-C? How did you do that??

#53 sally-p

sally-p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi Lauri: I was able to get disability by filing with SSA. I did it the first time by myself and gathered up all of the records I had for the past 12 years, doctors, etc. everything. I filed and was turned down the first time. I then turned the case over to attorneys who specialize in SSA claims and after a year I was granted disability. In the process I had quit my regular job and tried three other jobs and was in dire straights unable to work. It goes a lot deeper than this but it's been a while since I filed. I just know that it took about five years to get a grip after I quit working and that was largely due to Zelnorm. Sally-p

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi, I also have Amitiza samples from my doc but am afraid of the side effects.I really don't even want to go on Zelnorm again either. All these meds can't be good.I have been researching my IBS so long, I had a stool test recently that found a high level of candida overgrowth (yeast). I think that is a big cause of my symptoms. Parasites may be a problem also but they did not show up on test. Also I am sensitive to many things I was eating like wheat, gluten, etc & SUGAR of course.Acidopholus is a probiotic, not an enzyme far as I know. An enzyme is like for example a digestive enzyme you take with a meal.Tiffany

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:02 AM

Some info about Amitiza side effects, including death:http://patientsville...ide_effects.htmbest,george

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hello!! I'm new here!I just started Amitiza last night. I did feel yucky and had a headache and a bit of nausea. But it produced, and man i feel gooood!! I'm curious to see if anyone uses this every other day and take it at night? I was thinking of taking it in the evening, that way I wont be at work. I'd rather feel yucky at home, kwim? I hope this med helps me like Zelnorm did in the past.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

Is Amitiza being sold in Canada and if not is there a possibility that it will in the future

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi, I just started taking Amitiza 8 mcg once in the morning and once with dinner. I am just curious how others have responded to it?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

Not diagnosed with IBS-C but have been suffering chronic constipation attacks for more than a year now. Have stopped using stimulant laxatives to avoid any potential damage from them. Sometimes am okay without them - but not lately. Male, 27, normal weight, irregular exercise but recently no opportunity to do so. I sit in an office most days so that doesn't help. Stress from traveling, and probably a feedback loop of stress from the ongoing IBS-like problems. Overall I would say my lifestyle is moderately healthy and I attempt to avoid obvious triggers.Amitiza - Been taking it for a few days now. Minor results, felt much better the first day, okay second day, now feel like I am back to square one on day 4. Bloated, probably constipated, very uncomfortable. Even took Miralax on top of it earlier, no results. Puzzled. Will keep taking it until I run out of the samples and then probably quit. Not worth what I would have to pay for it (no insurance). I am taking the 24mcg 2/day.Have not suffered from the side effects people mentioned except for the first couple times I took the pill. Take it with food, and after you've eaten some of it, not before - no problems when I take it this way. It does seem to make me a bit tired, nothing I can't deal with. Overall, it hasn't made much difference. I will say this - when I pass gas, it smells absolutely horrible. That's new. So, er, thanks, Amitiza.

#60 Rubin10

Rubin10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Hello,The doctor is giving me samples of amitiza today. I hope i have better luck than some of you have. Zelnorm is not working at all. I have been trying 2 TBS of mom every few days, but most of the time that doesn't even work. My colon is so stubborn. All i feel is bloated and gassy. Jeaqn

I react to mom the same way but Amitiza works if I take two softgels a day. After aa month I start COUGHING.My doc says I am one in thousands

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here