Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

CBT and hypnotherapy successes

101K views 138 replies 37 participants last post by  Lillian2014 
#1 ·
Please post here if you believe these treatments helped you manage your condition.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#3 ·
Hi everyone:I finished listening to Mike's tapes in March 2000. Prior to that I alternated C&D, with constipation and pain lasting 3 days at a time, and a lot of bloating. I rarely am constipated now, and only have pain around my period. Bloating is also to a minimum.I've found that the tapes have helped other areas of my life, also. I tend to hold my stress in my lower back, and now when I feel the tension in that portion I do self-hypnosis and it relaxes the muscles to the point they don't go into spasms.I'm extrememly lucky because I had only had IBS for about a year before doing these tapes, and so was able to nip it in the bud before it got worse. I listen to a tape or two once a week now just to relax.
JeanG

#4 ·
I am going to copy mine from the living with IBS forum so I don't have to write it all out again for now, however at some point I want to.I was just thinking of expressing some of my thoughts on IBS and having it for thirty years. I have pain predominate IBS and alternating C and D. Although I can say had and really mean it,as I am doing so much better at about(85%) and I believe still improving thanks to this BB and Mike's tapes. I believe my IBS started from a trip to Mexico where I swallowed a small amount of cloroinated water out of a swimming pool and a half hour later, I was very sick with ameobic dysentary and spent the next month seriouly close to death. No Joke. They also pumped tons of penicillin into me at this time. However, ameobic dyentary is known to cause inflammation in the digestive tract. I recovered from that and I don't remember when or how soon I came back from Mexico, I was suffering from severe abdominal pain and alternating c and d. It wasn't to long before they started the first tests on me and that that testing would continue on and off for a big part of my life and cost thousands of dollars. The first tests were stool samples and upper gi tests all negative. The next test was a lower gi, also negative. Blood tests and all the regular tests from a normal MD. I was ten. In those days no one had a clue about IBS and they called it spastic colon or nervous stomach. I missed a lot of school and was always trying to catch up in my school work. Since the good doctors couldn't figure it out,I was sent for therapy and put on librium and told it was phycosomatic. I struggled for years through school,some working and trying to explain to friends why I was in pain alot and could not do things. Dating was a problem. They thought I had a stomach ache and it would go away and I should just quite being a big baby. Funny because my boss said that to me also, ten years later as well as a lot of coworkers. More testing. Basically the same kinds of tests over again. When your in your teens and your seeing some upstate NY md in a small town in those days testing didn't amount to much. Still no advise from anyone on what to do. My parents were very supportive and my mom is a nurse, which was very helpful and supportive. However,sometimes my moms own concern bothered me as she could not help and I could see that in her eyes while I layed there in complete agony from the knife jabbing sharp pains coming from my gut. When I got these pains I would hyperventilate and all kinds of thoughts raced through my head. For me this was already establishing itself into my thought patterns on a day to day basis's and I didn't really know much about living any other way as I hit my late teens. I was having episodes at least two to four times a week and that continued until I join this bb two years ago, although I would have some remissions they always came back and for a while my IBS went cyclic and bothered me most in the winter months, but in the summer improved somewhat. But it came back. Meanwhile, I continued to try to figure some of it out for myself, in ways I could manage it or do things to reduce it. Late teens to late twenties. More tests. "Maybe an ulcer,but we don't see it." New drugs, and from there librax, donnatol,prescription tagament,and a few others I don't even remember, but prozac was one as well. No noticable long term improvement. Mid thirties. I got serious and went to the best GI doc in town and told him to test away on everything we could think of that might be applicable. Also worried it could be something else still, although nothing showed up before he tested me and after he tested me. More drugs. Bentyl and valium. Sent to therapy told to relieve stress. I knew this wasn't the cause and thought because the pain was so severe that something had to be wrong in there, it just couldn't be possible to have this much pain and not have something physically that they could see wrong. I just didn't get it. I did know stress agravated it but not to the extent I do now or the kinds of stress either environmental, physical,or phychological and at the time I did not know how to reduce it enough with the management tecniques I was using and I used a lot of them. I tried all the food aspects and nothing other then some common sense on most things. Although it made sense what was going in had something to do with it, but in reality looking back now, it was common sense issues of eating to much to fast,fat,spices ect. etc.. There were some weird signals before an attack. My skin would turn whiter, my eyes would twitch and my hands would sweat. Sometimes I woould get dizzy. My therapist had migranes and knew nothing about IBS, other then realizing some of the symptoms sounded somewhat like some symptoms she would get with her migranes and that it was not in my head (phycosomatic or crazy) and I should go back to the doctor. It wasn't helping me to see her so I agreed. Although she didn't explain serotonin to me, nor did my doctor take the time to either. I feel if someone would have explained some of the mind-gut connections earlier I could have save a lot of time and effort. I know some are realitively new, but I think they had some idea and either it was to complicated to explain to me or they just didn't have the time. I think at this point one of the best things a doctor can do is explain some of this to new patients. I didn't have any other issues I was healthly otherwise and was playing soccer for twenty years and going professional until I blew my kneecap out. I believe I personally have a classic case of IBS. For me I believe it is faulty neurotransmitters that are not talking right between my brain and my gut. Just some thoughts and thank god for hypnotherapy, which I want to add some of my thoughts on as a side note. Of course most people know I work with Mike now, but some probably do not. After meeting him on the bb here and the success I had I decided to work with him as I feel he has one of the most effective treatment tools for IBS. I am drug free and very happy with the results. I want to say something about hypnotherpay in general and what I believe and have seen for myself and these are my own personal comments from my experiences with it. Although, many others feel the same way now. It is the deepest from of relaxation I personally have ever found. It has tremendously reduced the pain for me from severe to very mild. I think this has worked two ways. It has steered my thoughts and attension away from the pain when I want and I also believe the relaxation aspect of it is releasing endorphines to my gut. This has been a big achievement and will save me trips to the ER. When I wake up in the morning I no longer have IBS on my mind first thing. I no longer dwell on it. I don't worry to much about going out or bathrooms any more. I know longer turn white or have my hands sweat. I can relax my gut at will. My whole body is more relaxed in general and I didn't realize how tense it was before. I breath better and more deeply. Which I have found useful if I feel any twinges of a potential problem. I sleep better and more deeply. Day to day problems don't bother me like they use to. I can eat things I couldn't before. I feel like I have beeen rewired so to speak. My BM's have improved substantially. There are symptoms I don't even remember and that is unbelievable. Anyway just some thoughts of an IBSer pondering. I don't know if this helps anyone and I also don't want to say hypnosis is a cure or the only thing people should be doing to manage IBS, but it is one majorally effective tool that isn't understood by a lot of people or used enough by doctors in the IBS world and why I sound like a broken record sometimes. However, I hope no one gets tired of hearing about something that really works for the majority of people with IBS as there are just to few of the things that do.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#5 ·
Permission from Donna to post her email.I of course told her to listen when needed.
Thanks Donna.Shawn, The tapes were amazing as u suggested. I have had very few bad days of late..... I do however make a strong effort to keep stress to a minimal. That is my worst enemy!...............(I have kids so Big Time Stress is a given!) At this point, i love the voice, ("Mr.Michael's"), and the way i fall out to sleep so quick! Now.............. what can i listen to?..........I always have listened to the tapes at bedtime when the kids are asleep since that was my only option. ...............(It is the only time when i have a "Safe Environment")!.............So now that i have completed the program, what can u reccomend? Donna ------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#6 ·
From Ellan:As a behavioral health practitioner � I�m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the San Francisco Bay Area � I�ve been using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Couples Therapy (when a partner is involved) to treat my IBS patients for several years now. I had been looking for resources to refer my patients to re: hypnotherapy, since I do not practice hypnotherapy myself. I had read the studies re: the benefits of hypnotherapy for IBS a few years back, but had difficulty finding hypnotherapists who knew enough about IBS. As an IBS sufferer myself since 1990 (now much improved), I was curious to see what hypnotherapy could add to the treatment options. After seeing the posts on Mikes Tapes, I decided to order them and try them myself , before recommending them to patients. I am on Day 34 now, and am thus far thoroughly impressed. Very high quality, and a real bargain for the price � one session of hypnotherapy in this area is about the equivalent of the price of the entire tape series. When I think of all the money that I (and my patients) have spent on IBS treatments over the years, the cost of the tapes seems like a drop in the bucket. I�m thinking that the combination of CBT and the tapes might be really helpful for many of my patients. Thank you Mike for developing this worthwhile resource � your expertise really shows. And thank you Eric for getting the word out � I hope that others will find them as useful as I have.

#7 ·
This will be long, as I have had IBS D/C (D-predominant for 27 years. It's been a long road with IBS, and I want to share my struggles so you know just how far I've come using hypnotherapy.

It began on the first day of school my junior year (1974) in my Modern American Literature class. During that first class, I noticed a girl get up to leave the room to go (I assumed) to the restroom. I thought "How embarassing, everyone knows where she's going." From that day on, I had to leave that first hour class to go to the restroom. At 8:20 each morning I would feel the urge to go. By 8:30-8:40 I couldn't take it anymore, and would leave the room. This is when my anxiety about my bowel patterns began. I began to worry about if I would have to go, what people thought if me, and that something must be wrong with me.

The avoidance behaviors began. I tried not to do anything in the mornings, which was always the worst time. As I went through high school and college, I began starting my day later and later, until finally, during my senior year of college, I didn't start classes til 1:00 pm. I was ok later in the day, if I felt I'd been emptied out I could carry on with normal activities.

As time went on, I'd have problems in other places. I always had to sit on the aisle seat of the classroom or theater, and be the driver of the car. Once I told someone driving that I had to stop, and they said "No, you're a grown-up, you can hold it." I didn't let anyone drive me anywhere again, til recently.

The first Dr. I went to said it was normal to go several times a day, and not to worry about it. But I DID worry about it, all the time it seemed. So I went to a psychiatrist. It was too difficult to sit in a closed room without a panic attack. She gave me a relaxation tape, and that was it.
I had two children by 1983. This was the most difficult time for me. I think a combination of being a young mother, working, going to school, trying to do what the modern woman was supposed to do, "Have it all," was too much stress. The panic attacks were horrible, and I was nearly housebound at this point.

My marriage was in trouble too, just adding more stress. We started marriage counselling, which lasted only a short time. I ended up staying with the psychologist for two years, trying to get help for my fear, panic, and stomach troubles. I was diagnosed as AGOROPHOBIC. The referring psychiatrist prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant, I think it was imipramine. It was horrible, giving me the worst C/D I ever had. The shrink finally ran out of things to talk about. Let me tell you, psychotherapy does NOTHING for IBS. At this point I still didn't even know I had IBS.

1989 now, and we took a trip to England to see my husband's family. I had no idea how I would make it, and went to see a hypnotherapist. He made a tape for my panic attacks and taught me relaxation techniques. It helped the panic, but my D and urgency was still a big problem.

I saw an ad in the paper for a talk by Lucinda Bassett about stress and anxiety. She could have been talking about me. I bought the stress and anxiety tape course. One of the tapes mentioned "IBS." This was the first time I'd heard the word, and finally, 17 years after my symptoms began, I knew what I had.

I went to my family Dr, so excited that I had discovered IBS. He said he had always known I had IBS, and that he didn't know I needed a "name" for it. Well I DID, I thought I was crazy all these years. He prescribed BuSpar and Levsin. I hated both. Then gave me Xanax, which was a help. I mentioned hypnotherapy to him, but he said he didn't believe in it.

On our 20th wedding anniversary, my husband and I went out to our favorite restaurant. I stopped at the restroom on the way out, and was in there for 30 minutes. My husband was waiting patiently. He was used to me by now. I had a horrible attack, but thought it was done. How could anyone have so much **** inside of them? But it wasn't over. On the ride home we got stuck in a traffic jam in a construction zone. Trapped, no way out. I couldn't hold it, and had my first episode of incontinence on my 20th wedding anniversary. I was horrified. My husband was understanding, telling me not to worry, I was obviously ill.

It was that episode that made me look for a good Dr. I went online, found the IFFGD and this BB. The IFFGD referred me to a terrific GI, Dr. Kevin Olden at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, and he did a full workup on me. He sent me for PT and biofeedback. He got me on the proper dosages of medications (my GP prescribed me dosages too low to be effective) and supported my use of hypnotherapy. I had good success with it previously, and thought I would try Mike's tapes, which I found on the BB.

I started Mike's tapes with enthusiasm. Change was slow. I went from D to C/D to C to D and around and around. I finished the tapes and was happy with the little improvement I had, maybe 35% at that time. But it wasn't until about 3 months after completing the tapes that I really saw a BIG change. It was then that I noticed my D was gone. My BMs were normal, usually one daily, sometimes two. I can now "hold it" for hours. Sometimes, I'll drive in the car, and notice that I'm not even thinking about where the bathrooms are on the route. That always surprises me. The anxiety is greatly reduced, probably 90%. I sit in the middle of the theater sometimes. I drive with other people. I've been on two vacations, been on 8 airplanes trips, been on a boat with strangers, with no attacks. I was even relaxed and had fun.

At times the old thoughts make their way in. I shoo them away once I notice them. I have had two D attacks in the past 9 months. I can live with that.

I think it's been a combination of things that got me to this place. I still watch my diet, although I have added back some things that were triggers, such as salads and citrus fruits. I do use a fiber supplement. I no longer fear my anxiety which had caused me so much trouble in the past.

Bottom line is, Mike's tapes have been the best thing I've done for IBS. I'm more relaxed, my world no longer centers aroung when I'll have a BM, I'm a happier person, less crabby and less depressed. I'm a better Mom and a better wife. I'm more active, and I look forward to doing things I avoided in the past.

That's my story.

AZ

[This message has been edited by AZmom1 (edited 02-11-2001).]Edited to add recent update:posted Sat Apr 29 2006 11:27 PM Hi everyone, AZmom here. Just thought I pop in to say hi and give a quick update. It has been at least 5 or 6 years now, since I used Mike's hypnotherapy program and am still doing great. IBS is a shadow now, it is in the back of my mind rather than dominating my life. I function very well day to day. Sometimes I am surprised to realize I haven't thought about IBS for a while, or find myself in a situation that used to put me in a panic. I think about the "what ifs..." once in a while, which was a huge problem before, but now I am able to get rid of the thought as soon as I recognize it.I still get D on occasion, but I can usually figure out why...consuming alcohol and allergies will always trigger an attack. I can shrug it off easily with "It's just my allergies, it's not the IBS returning." I guess mainly I have learned to under-react to IBS symptoms. I realize these are CBT techniques. I tried using them for years before I used Mike's program, but without the hypno to help me change my way of thinking CBT was not enough. There is life after IBS. I wish you all the best.AZ

G
#8 ·
AZ,It's fascinating to hear that most of your improvement came after finishing Mike's tapes. I'm still only on day 34 and still struggling with my symptoms so it's really encouraging to hear that you improved after finishing the tapes. I wish more people would post their success stories.

#9 ·
From Bettie.
eric and Dr. Bolen, This is a wonderful forum and I thank you for it.... Mike 001, Your tapes have made a tremendous difference in helping me with my IBS problems----I am a firm believer in them....Thanks so much.. Bettie------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#10 ·
From Lou:Jeanne, Hypnosis works for Panic Attacks that I know. I suffered terribly from debilitating panic attacks for a number of years. This was 25 years ago when nobody knew what they were or how to treat you. How did I get over them. DETERMINATION. First I found in the library the book "Hope And Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Clarie Weeks, great book. Second bought a good relaxation tape used it at least twice a day. Last took a course in Hypnotherapy which changed my life. I learned to hypnotize myself. Jeanne I was Agorahobic (couldn't leave our home). I was a mess. That all changed with the book, the tapes and hypnosis. Hypnosis does not help in one or 2 sessions, it takes time and a top notch Hypnotherapist. I beleive in Hypnosis 100%. I can still Hypnotize myself anywhere, anytime and relax 100% in about 20 seconds. I highly recommend Hypnosis. As a side note have your had your Thyroid checked or your Hormones. These can both cause extreme Anxiety. Best of luck to you. ------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#11 ·
From TissClair, I am using the tapes and love them. I waited until I could feel justified spending that kind of money. I've spent alot more money on loads of stuff that didn't work. I guess I got to the point where I thought, what the heck, what have I got to lose (except 100.00-which is alot of money), but if it works, then it's cheap!! I have gotten so much better (I'm a C type)-I just can't really even tell you why or how it works. The tapes have a rather pervasive effect with me, I mean, I'm calmer during the day, sleep 100% better, have a BM everyday and overall feel less anxious. My 16 year old son LOVES Side 2 because HE is sleeping100% better-he and I negotiate which tape he can use because I'm following the program that is outlined for you. I think there are some IBS tapes that are cheaper than the 100.00 tapes, and I don't know the difference in them. Someone could probably tell you the difference. I think the other ones are about 25.00, or something like that. As for me, I intend to keep using the tapes even when I've finished the program. Some people say that time is a factor that turns them off of the tapes, but I only listen to them at night while going to sleep, so really no extra time has to be involved. Good luck. I recommend them. ------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#12 ·
From LGUgh - before I started the tapes I was constipated all the time, I suffered from almost dialy nausea that would not let up, even woth motilium (a drug designed to eliminate nausea, whatever the cause), I got a lot of bloating - to the extent that my clothes would no longer fit by mid/late afternoon, cramping pains, especially in my lower right side, lots of flatulence, and almost more importantly I felt miserable most of the time. It seeemd that there was not much else in life except was I going to be able to 'go' today and even if I did would it bring relief or would I still feel like htere should be more, would I be able ot fit into my clothes and be comfortable etc etc. After doing the tapes I now feel alot more positive, I can remeber now what a good day is and can keep this is mind when things arn't so good. Yes I still have bad days, but they arnt as bad or as frequent. The incomplete evacuation feeling is almost never there, and I very rarely feel sick any more (this is great!). the bloating is less now, and I pass less gas. I got quite dispondant when I was doing the tapes because I didnt really feel any thing was changing until about 60 -70 days, but I emailed Mike and he was good enough to reply and keep me on track. This late action is probaly the reason why I like to carry on with the tapes now, plus I cant really understand how or why the effect of 100 days would last forever wothout some revison. After 11 years of having this thing and trying most things I have read about on htese BBs (including elimination diets, wheat free, dairy free, antidepressants, homeopathy, yogs, fibre suppliments, low fibre diet, high fibre diet, linseeds, laxatives, bulking agents, stool softeners.....de da de dah) I can honestly say that Mikes tapes have been the most beneficial thing I ve done, so well worth the time and money. Ugh, keep on witht the tapes, if you find they help even a little id say when you reach 100 days go back and start them again. Keep at it. I personally dont think that iBS is entirely brain-gut, but I think it does play a large part in it, even if only as a consequence rather than a cause. GOOD LUCk------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#13 ·
From Julie,Taken from a thread on the discussion forum.Every time I read your posts, I think "that was me!!!" Please believe this ... when I first found this BB in summer '99 I could have written the exact same post as you, except I had been in that horrible place for years, not months. And what "did it" for me was the Hypno Tapes ... as well as helping to reduce my symtoms by around 80%, within a couple of weeks (tho I think this is an unusually quick response) I was getting out of the house, and feeling perfectly calm and relaxed in doing so. I felt mentally normal for the first time in a very long time. All the "what ifs" and the "I can't do that becauses" just disappeared as if by magic. To this day I still don't fully understand why this happened - I can get a hold of why and how the tapes work on the physical symptoms, but it's like I just woke up one morning wearing my "old" head again. ------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#14 ·
I thought I would add my two cents here. I got Mikes tapes in January 2000 after a lifetime of IBS-D. From about 1990 to 1998 I was managing my IBS with Imodiom, but as my career took off, my job got more demanding (oncall 24x7) I started to spin completely out of control. In August of 99 I had to quit work due to my IBS. In September, after my first colonoscopy, the doc put me on Levsin SL and Lomotil, this helped for when I had an IBS attack, but it didn't do much in preventative maintenance on the condition. I tried all sorts of kooky, nutty things, one doctor even suggested I take gecko tablets, I was a sucker, I tried everything. I started in on the caltrate plus, but found that I couldn't balance my dosage, and so I quit it. (bad icea). I got on Paxil, which did help with my anxiety induced IBS attacks, but did nothing for my food induced attacks (which seemed to occur at every meal). I lost 25 lbs, (and I didn't need to lose any weight). I finally decided to give the tapes a try, and at the same time, I started back on the Caltrate, with Lnapes help in finding the right dosage for me (1/2 chewable 3x a day). Within a month of starting the tapes, I saw I noticable improvement. Not only in my IBS symptoms, but in my general outlook on life. I seemed more positive about things in general, and in IBS specifically. It really really saved my life. I now go back to them occasionally, like right before my wedding last year. It was the right choice for me, and I feel like I can control my IBS more now than my IBS can control me.Erin

#15 ·
From Scotcat-UK,About a year ago I was suffering very badly with IBS-C and was in constant pain. (I'd suffered on and off for many years but never with continuous pain lasting many weeks) After finding this website, I phoned up for the IBS tapes and spoke to Mike personally. Although I was very sceptical that they would work, I was getting so desperate that I would have tried anything! It must have taken about three weeks before I started to feel any real benefit from the tapes, although I was enjoying doing them anyway as it gave me some time through the day to switch off and relax. I finished the tapes in late September and, by then, all my IBS symptoms had gone. Before I started the tapes, my IBS used to flare up when I would go round to friends' for a meal. I had even been known to resort to lying down flat in their bathroom in an effort to get some relief from the pain. Now I can enjoy my evenings out without worrying any more. In the 6 months since I have finished the tapes, I have had only occasional, mild cramping, but it has always gone after a day or so. I've even had a major holiday to Florida without any symptoms. When I'm feeling stressed at work or home, I make time to listen to my favourite session(s) again, and that always helps. What I'm trying to say is please stick with the tapes if you are trying them. It might not be instant but it certainly does work. I'd also like to say thanks to Mike - you've turned my life around.------------------I work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

G
#16 ·
Hi Everyone,My Story... I can say I had IBS for 2 years. ( And probably for several years before leading up to it) I Hated it. I had all the tests, scopes, stool samples, blood tests etc. The medical doctors suggested nothing to help me. They were just satisfied (and they thought I should be) that there was nothing life threatening wrong with me. I was also depressed and stressed and went on Paxil.My situation improved. But I didnt like being on Paxil. So, I went off the Paxil. My symptoms (many bouts of diarhea everyday) increased. They increased to a point that was much worse than before I was on the Paxil. I lost my job. I lost my girl friend. I knew I was going down. I actually started to sell off my belongings because I wanted my estate to be settled easier, when I died.Clearly I was at my lowest point in life ,when I decided to try the mental help professionals. I went to an anxiety specialist, and in 2 months I felt better. What I learned is that humans have a "fight or flight response", when they are stressed. In my case this resulted in flushing my stomach contents into my colon. This started years ago in my case , but it was no big deal and perfectly naural in moderation. My problem was that it became automatic, and too frequent. I worried about it ,and the cycle became self fulfilling. Eventually it became an automatic response. In my case things as simple as the phone ringing or leaving my front door would cause diarhea.I had so many triggers that I could not pin point anything. Basically my therapy consisted of finding out what my fears were (finding a bathroom, and what will people think of me) and minimizing the importance of them. Then to break the spiraling cycle of scary thoughts. Eventually my automatic diarhea became less and less. And is now turned off.I am ready to start living againcheers

#17 ·
From Kate TN,Yes, I have done it. I started just before Christmas, when I was in a severe, pre-holiday "D" outbreak, and have finished with the coming of spring. No "D" since 12/23. It is not unusual for me to have long spells between the "D", although this is a pretty good stretch for the last couple of years or so. I am trying a few new foods. We were away a couple of weeks ago- at a restaurant I ordered the "safe" chicken I've had many times there, and the new cook had added a spicy seasoning. The next day, I didn't feel too great, but was fine by the next day- my bouts frequently last for weeks to a few months. But, in addition, at a time in my life when I have many more personal and professional stresses than previously, I find that my outlook is much more positive. I am dealing with new challenges at work with more confidence, with a tough situation at home with more hope, and in general with life without as many concerns about the future as I've had previously. From about the second month of the tapes, I would find myself beginning to worry about some future event or do some negative "What ifs?" and before the bad thoughts would take on momentum, I'd find myself thinking,"Well, it certainly isn't productive to think about that", or"There's no reason to think this negative scenario will play out." I don't know how much of this is due to the tapes, because I've been pretty pro-active and have made some other changes too. But, on the whole, I think the tapes have been a major factor in the improvement I've seen in my state of mind over the last three months. I intend to continue to listen to them a couple of times a week, and would definitely recommend them to anyone. Thanks, Mike and eric, and others who have written their encouragement and advice over the last 100 days. I'll keep you posted. kate------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#18 ·
thank you everyone for sharing their stories and experiences.
i just started the tapes, i'm only on day 7, but have great hopes and look forward to continuing.AZmom1, your post had me in tears...how caring and understanding your husband is!!! i tell you, that is a huge fear of mine, not being able to get to a restroom, and literally, losing it. i had to make my boyfriend turn the car around last week on route to the movies.
thank you for your sharing with the rest of us. take care!

G
#20 ·
This is a summary of my story:I'm a 33 years old female, having had IBS-D for the last 15 years (you know that vicious cicle 'fear of having a d-attack and the fear induces an attack and so on'). My panic was so bad I retreated socially completely because I felt too ashame to speak of my bowels to somebody not as close as my family. I don't know how I survived my twenties seeing friends and colleagues leading the lifes of their dreams (holidays, dream jobs, doing everything they wanted to). Somehow, though, I could keep my job and I think that kept me surviving.When I had another bad time in early 1999, I decided I could not go on like that. I went online and found this BB with many helpful tips. I started the Calcium and found it very helpful. Then I had acupuncture with great success, slowing down my bowel motility. I went down from 6 Imodium daily to 1.Next I ordered Mikes Tapes last year and have finished them in May 2000. I didn't notice a big difference. In fact, my bladder acted up horribly (I have also a history of chronic UTIs). This made me very depressed. Mike (to whom I'm very grateful) sent me text especially created for my situation and after about 4 months the bladder was better. About 6 months after the tapes I noticed that I was more calm inside and when the panic turned up, could somehow "push it down". I was in Madeire, Mexico, Australia and Mauritius since I have finished the tapes. I was in concerts (although on the aisle seat). I feel like I had grown as a person and become mature. I'm not as deeply depressed and suicidal as I used to be and I survived last autumn without the obligatory autumn-depression. I have to add that I follow psychotherapy as well but I definitely think that the tapes changed many thing in my life. I really would like to listen to them again but am too much afraid that there could turn up another desease like last year. All in all: I recommend the tapes highly.And last but not least: My mother tongue is Swiss German and the tapes improved my English very much! Thank you Mike for your neverending support!Coni

#21 ·
Finished the tapes a week or so ago... I am feeling pretty good. I think that I am doing much better than I was before I started the tapes. I am much better at reacting now when I am not feeling well. I used to get very upset and kind of panic...but now I am much calmer when I am not feeling well. I hope to continue to improve as time goes on.Kim

#22 ·
I finished Mike's tapes about a month ago and I have been feeling wonderful! I was seeing some results while doing the tapes, but since I have been finished I have been doing much better. I didn't connect all of this together until my wonderful husband commented on how good I have been recently. I have been eating terribly too since our kitchen has been torn up with remodeling. I know that Mike's tapes have played a positive role in my feeling better. I know that I am much less tense about going places and that I don't constantly fear being sick. Just thought I would share....Kim

#23 ·
First of all I would like to thank Mike for the tapes and eric for keeping the topic going. I would think about getting them and then put it on the back burner, then I would see the threads about it and consider them again. I finally ordered them and now that I'm done I am so happy with the results.I have IBS C&D. I had slight symptoms for many years but not bad enough to seek help until about 6 years ago. That was when It hit with a vengence. The pain was so intense, very much like labour pains, only the end result wasn't cute
Almost every day was like this for awhile. I tried Modulon, Dicitel,Librax and tons of herbal remedies. The Librax helped some, it wasn't everyday anymore, maybe once or twice a week. Because it was still fairly frequent the anxiety about going anywhere continued even when I was feeling okay. I then went on a gluten free diet and improved some more for quite awhile but still I had at least some symptoms almost daily. Then at last came hypnotherapy. From the beginning my anxitey levels dropped except during a period of personal crisis. I had one setback early on and have not looked back since. I go once a day like a normal person, without any pain or cramping. Now and then I have a day or two that I don't go at all but it is without all that bloating and things return to normal on there own, without using any meds. I think the most subtle change that snuck up on me was that I wasn't thinking about it first thing in morning, you know like what was today going to be like good or bad. I just get up and get on with the day. Sorry if I'm rambling on and I apologize for the spelling, I'm just rushing through this getting ready to leave for holidays. That's another thing, I'm not worried about sharing a bathroom with 6 people for the first time in years! Always the damper on my holidays. I feel I am continuing to improve and look forward to listening to the tapes now and then when I feel like it. I highly recomend them for IBS, the way I look at it is, If you have tried everything else without success, what have you got to lose?Tina

#24 ·
Mike, I have recently finished your hypnosis program and would like to thank you for allowing me to be medicine free and feel great after 35 yrs of suffering from IBS/D. The anxiety level is very low and I've been much more relaxed lately! From reading other posts I know it will only get better. I still listen to side 3 at bedtime because it is so relaxing and lets me sleep like a baby.
Keep up the good work, Norb

#25 ·
I have recently finished Mikes hypnotherapy tapes and they have been an absolute godsend to me.14 months ago I was struck down with severe abdominal pain, alternating C & D and insomnia.After nearly a year of struggling on trying to live my life as normal as possible, and without any successful treatments available from the medical profession I developed depression believing that I would never again know what it was to have a day without pain.It was at this point that Eric and others convinced me that the hypnotherapy tapes could help me manage my symptoms.In the first week of starting the tapes I had my first pain free days in a year and the benefits continued to flow since then.Within a month I no longer woke up in the night with abdominal cramp, and I was managing to sleep through the night and get a proper night sleep.Very soon, I noticed a difference in myself psychologically as well - I noticed I was beginning to look at things postively and take things in my stride.My gastroenterologist has told me that I have severe IBS and most likely it is something I may have to live with for the rest of my life, but that doesn't matter because Mike and Eric have given me a tool and set of skills to help manage my symptoms to the point I can live my life normally.I still have symptoms from time to time, but now I have ways of dealing with them effectively and I'm looking forward to a positive futre ahead of me....when a year ago I felt my life might as well be over.I don't think I'll ever be able to articulate what Mikes tapes have done for me - or how they've done it...but as well as helping me manage my IBS they've made me a calmer and more relaxed person.Eric/Mike - you can slip me that fiver now! (Only kidding!
From someone who was a skeptic about hypnotherapy....I'm now a total convert.Thanks to Eric,Mike,Marilyn, BQ and all the other people on this forum that have made such a big difference to my life without knowing it.Clair
[This message has been edited by Clair (edited 08-30-2001).]

#26 ·
Eric,I have not quite finished the audio tapes. I cannot tell you how much they have helped. Mike has been such a God send. Although I suffer with General Anxiety Disorder, the IBS just exacerbated the problem further.I just today ordered his new tape Toward Inner Peace.Thanks to you and Mike for your continued help and support for all of us on this BB.......
Donna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.