Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 - Page 2 - IBS News, Media, Research Results, Discussion or Abstracts - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

Bifidobacterium infantis 35624

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:28 AM

Can anybody tell whether this probiotic is available in India? The overseas prices are too much. I can't afford it. What is the present status of trials using this bacteria? Can anybody explain?

#22 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23983 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

I don't personally know if you can get them in India.However"FYIThis is an expert on Post infectious IBS. This is an excellent article and I am posting a small part on new Probiotic research.Post-infectious Irritable Bowel SyndromePosted 12/08/2005Robin Spiller; Eugene Campbell "Anti-inflammatory Effect of ProbioticsNumerous studies have shown an anti-inflammatory effect but the study by McCarthy et al.[30] is of particular interest since it showed a benefit in the interleukin-10-knockout mouse model of colitis using two probiotic bacteria, Lactobillus salivaris and Bifidobacterium infantis, which have since been used in IBS patients (see below). The same group also demonstrated that bacteria did not need to be living to be effective. Nor did they need to be administered orally but could be effective when given subcutaneously,[31] showing that the anti-inflammatory effect is systemic with a generalized decrease in proinflammatory cytokines.""Anti-inflammatory Treatments in Irritable Bowel SyndromeWith this evidence of low-grade lymphocytosis and inflammatory mediators the idea of treating flares in IBS like an exacerbation of asthma has certain attractions. The first direct trial of prednisolone in PI-IBS was, however, negative.[32] This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial randomized 29 patients with PI-IBS following C. jejuni enteritis to 3 weeks of oral prednisolone, 30 mg daily. Although mucosal lymphocyte counts fell, enterochromaffin cell numbers did not, nor did bowel symptoms improve significantly. Furthermore, prednisolone was poorly tolerated by IBS patients, indicating that this is unlikely to be a successful treatment. A more subtle and better-tolerated anti-inflammatory effect may be achieved by the use of probiotics. Since inflammation in the bowel appears in many instances to be a reaction to the commensal flora, modifying this by means of probiotics has proved an attractive option given its success in some inflammatory conditions such as ileal pouchitis. There have been several previous studies in IBS with mixed results, but the most recent one used the same two probiotics, L. salivaris and B. infantis, as McCarthy et al..[30] Only B. infantis was demonstrated to improve composite symptom scores as well as abdominal pain, bloating and distension.[33**] Like previous studies, this showed a small improvement in symptoms but, unlike previous studies, they also demonstrated a mechanism by measuring the release of cytokines by peripheral blood lymphocytes. They showed that at baseline IBS patients had a depressed interleukin-10/interleukin-12 ratio and that the active probiotics normalized this ratio. Since interleukin-12 is recognized to be a key proinflammatory cytokine, while interleukin-10 is anti-inflammatory, this imbalance may be important. The study certainly needs repeating, but this is the first study in which alterations in mucosal inflammatory mediators have been demonstrated to relate to improvement in symptoms (for review see)[34].""ConclusionStudies of patients with PI-IBS over the last 2 years have been reviewed which demonstrate low-grade inflammation in the mucosa with increased inflammatory mediators, including serotonin and cytokines. Studies in other IBS groups have also shown increased mast cell numbers and in some cases increased release of mediators such as mast cell protease and histamine. This is plainly an active area in which significant advances with application to clinical practice can be expected in the foreseeable future."http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/518355_1"Post-infective IBS (PI-IBS) develops in 3-30% of individuals with bacterial gastroenteritis. Known risk factors include female sex, severity of initial illness, bacterial toxigenicity and adverse psychological factors, including neuroticism, hypochondriasis, anxiety and depression, as reviewed in 2003.[2] "
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

I have been dealing with IBS for years but it had recently gotten worse so I went for tests and received the diagnosis.I had been taking 5 Metamucil caplets once a day and was beginning to have some good results though still some constipation. My MD suggested stopping the Metamucil and taking Align. My symptoms returned along with the panic on the subway and feeling that I have to get to a bathroom fast.I went back on the Metamucil and continue to take the Align. I feel that things have stabilized once again. They weem to work well for me in combinationI also started today on Heather's peppermint oil capsules and the ibs self hypnosis CDs. Hopeful this will all come together to bring about a bigger improvement. I will know the next time that I must ride the subway which is when the panic sets in.

#24 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

New Study Demonstrates That Bifantis™ (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624) Offers Relief for Women With Irritable Bowel SyndromeTuesday July 11, 11:31 am ET CINCINNATI, July 11 /PRNewswire/ -- A new study published in the July issue of the American Journal of Gastroenterology found that Bifantis (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624) may help relieve many of the symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in women, including diarrhea and constipation(1).IBS, the most common functional bowel disorder diagnosed by physicians and gastroenterologists, is estimated to affect up to one in five Americans(2). Bifantis™ is the first and only probiotic, or "good" bacteria, that has been clinically proven to help manage the full range of symptoms of IBS in a large scale, placebo-controlled clinical trial. The study was sponsored by P&G Health Sciences Institute."We are pleased and excited with the results of this study, as it represents an advance in the treatment of IBS which can cause such embarrassing symptoms, often on a daily basis," said Dr. Peter Whorwell, Professor of Medicine and Gastroenterology at the University of Manchester (UK) and lead author of the study.About the StudyIn a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging study, 362 women between 18 and 65 years of age who had been diagnosed with IBS (per Rome II criteria) received placebo or freeze-dried, encapsulated Bifantis once daily for four weeks(1). Throughout the study, patients daily recorded how they felt related to abdominal pain/discomfort, bloating/distension, sense of incomplete evacuation, straining at stool, urgency of bowel movement, passage of gas and mucus and bowel habit satisfaction(1). Patients also recorded their global assessment of relief for both abdominal pain/discomfort and their IBS symptoms(1).At the end of the four week study, Bifantis was observed to be significantly superior to placebo for abdominal pain as well as bloating, bowel dysfunction, incomplete evacuation, straining and the passage of gas(1). Overall, improvements in symptoms experienced were highest in the 1x10(8) cfu dose group(1). Patients' global symptom assessment was superior to placebo by more than 20 percent. No significant adverse events were recorded(1).About BifantisBifantis is the trademarked name for the probiotic strain Bifidobacterium infantis 35624(3). These normal, friendly bacteria play an important role in basic digestion, proper metabolism and overall well-being(3). Bifantis works within the digestive system to restore intestinal balance and maintain normal digestive health(3). Bifantis is a calorie- and lactose-free natural dietary ingredient that is similar to the active cultures found in some yogurts and fermented milks(3).Bifantis may be especially helpful for people who experience one or more of the symptoms commonly associated with IBS, including diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, urgency and abdominal discomfort(3).For additional information on Bifantis, visit http://www.bifantis.com or http://www.pghsi.com .About Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)Irritable bowel syndrome is the most common functional bowel disorder, and it is characterized by a range of symptoms, including abdominal pain and discomfort, bloating and altered bowel function (constipation and/or diarrhea)(2).IBS, most often diagnosed by a primary care physician or gastroenterologist, is second only to the common cold as a leading cause of workplace absenteeism in the United States(2). Significant morbidity is associated with IBS, as patients suffering from IBS-related symptoms endure a decreased quality of life as they are prevented from participating in activities they would normally enjoy(2). The impact on quality of life has been estimated to be greater than that of diabetes and similar to that of clinical depression(2).The current goal of therapy is management and reduction in the frequency and severity of episodes or symptoms(2). The management of IBS currently ranges from dietary (increasing fiber and reducing dairy products) and behavioral changes (restricting diet and slowly adding in new foods) to medications (over-the-counter and prescription)(2).About ProbioticsThe word "probiotic" means "for life." Probiotics are beneficial bacteria, or "good, friendly" bacteria that can help strengthen the body's natural defenses, and help restore the appropriate balance of healthy bacteria. Research still is being conducted on how probiotic cultures may influence a wide-range of health conditions, however, it has been established through controlled scientific investigations that probiotics ingested in certain numbers exert health affects beyond inherent basic nutrition(2,3).About P&G Health Sciences InstituteThe P&G Health Sciences Institute is a conglomerate of P&G research expertise and capabilities including state of the art research facilities dedicated to identifying, developing, and using leading health care technologies in the development of effective products for both the developing and developed world. Procter & Gamble has a long history of scientific research both internally and through collaboration with external partners in the areas of health, hygiene, and nutrition, dating back more than 50 years. Please visit http://www.pghsi.com for more information on the P&G Health Sciences Institute as well as http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands. (1) Efficacy of an Encapsulated Probiotic Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624 in Women with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, July 2006 (2) http://www.pghsi.com/gastrointestinal/probiotics.html , accessed on 6.16.06 (3) http://www.usprobiotics.org/basics/ , probiotics and dairy products section, accessed on 6.16.06--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Source: P&G Health Sciences Institute

#25 Guest_dc2002_*

Guest_dc2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

does it say anything about effectiveness in men? i might have missed it...anyone?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

Is Bifantis available for purchase in Europe and more specifically in Greece? If anyone has any sort of link pls help out.Does it work for men with IBS-constipation or is it predominantly targeting diarrhoea bothering individuals?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... all these studies, please spare us! I cannot hardly read them anymore. I`m sure you will find studies for every opinion in the i-net. Probiotics seems to have an effect for D and bloatings. If you have lucky, bloatings get reduce. I have read also that I can make IBS worse. I doubt that probiotics have an effect of pain, visceral hypersensitiv.

#28 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

The studies *ducking* seem to show that different bacteria interact with the host in ways that might effect things like pain and discomfort.I think it may be interesting to find how the various bacteria (and some seem to ease constipation not just diarrhea) interact with people and hopefully we will eventually be able to know what are the best species for IBSers.I'd hate for them to just stop this work when it is starting to show some real progress.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#29 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Probiotics Offer a Natural Option for IBS SufferersMillions of Americans now seeking a safe, effective alternative treatment for IBS WEBSITECINCINNATI, April 9 /PRNewswire/ -- With the recent Food and Drug Administration discontinuation of a leading prescription drug for constipation associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and chronic constipation, millions of Americans are now seeking a safe alternative treatment for their IBS. The most common functional bowel disorder diagnosed by physicians and gastroenterologists, IBS is estimated to affect up to one in five Americans.(1)Consumers are increasingly seeking natural solutions, including probiotics, which are generally recognized as safe, and a cost-effective way of managing digestive upset. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that aid digestion, help strengthen the body's natural defenses and support a more appropriate balance of healthy bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. However, it is crucial that consumers understand that not all probiotics are created equal, and many probiotic products are not clinically proven to be effective.Bifantis® (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624) is the first and only probiotic strain that has been clinically proven to help manage a full range of IBS symptoms in large scale, placebo-controlled clinical trials. One of these studies, published in the July 2006 issue of The American Journal of Gastroenterology, found that Bifantis helped to relieve the constipation, diarrhea, urgency, gas and bloating associated with IBS in women.(2) No other probiotic is backed by the clinical data supporting Bifantis."Clinical data to support the benefits of a probiotic strain is essential when choosing a probiotic," said Dr. Eamonn Quigley, Cork University Chief of Medicine and investigator on the Bifantis clinical trials. "There are many probiotic strains on the market that are not clinically proven to provide any benefits. The most important factor to consider when choosing a probiotic is to know what research lies behind the bacterial strain in the product and to identify the necessary information from the product label."When selecting a probiotic product, consumers should ensure the label includes all of the following information: -- Actual strain(s) name and the quantity of probiotic bacteria for each strain listed. The number of probiotic bacteria needed to be effective is strain- and product-form specific; more is not necessarily better. -- "Best used by" date and a batch or lot code. The code printed on an individual container that serves as a reference number for the plant to track production information. -- Company information. Look for products manufactured by well-trusted companies who have a history of good clinical evidence and support for their product. Also look for corporate contact details like a Web site or a toll-free number. -- Dosing information, directions for use and storage. Many products have complicated dosing regimens or directions, and the suggested storage conditions vary based on probiotic form and stability. -- Expectations - does the label tell you what to expect from product use? -- Facts - the Supplement Facts that includes the nutritional and supplement information. About Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)Irritable bowel syndrome is the most common functional bowel disorder, characterized by a range of symptoms, including abdominal pain and discomfort, bloating and altered bowel function (constipation and/or diarrhea).Significant morbidity is associated with IBS, as patients suffering from IBS related symptoms endure a decreased quality of life as they are prevented from participating in activities they would normally enjoy. The impact on quality of life has been estimated to be greater than that of diabetes and similar to that of clinical depression.The current goal of therapy is management and reduction in the frequency and severity of episodes or symptoms. The management of IBS currently ranges from dietary (increasing fiber and reducing dairy products) and behavioral changes (restricting diet and slowly adding in new foods) to medications (over-the-counter and prescription).About Bifantis® (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624)Bifantis is the trademarked name for the probiotic strain Bifidobacterium infantis 35624. These normal, friendly bacteria play an important role in basic digestion, proper metabolism and overall well-being. Bifantis works within the digestive system to restore intestinal balance and maintain normal digestive health. Bifantis is a calorie- and lactose-free natural dietary ingredient that is similar to the active cultures found in some yogurts and fermented milks.Bifantis may be especially helpful for people who experience one or more of the symptoms commonly associated with IBS, including diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, urgency and abdominal discomfort.More information about Bifantis is available at http://www.bifantis.com/ . About P&G Health Sciences Institute The P&G Health Sciences Institute is a conglomerate of P&G research expertise and capabilities including state of the art research facilities dedicated to identifying, developing, and using leading health care technologies in the development of effective products for both the developing and developed world. Procter & Gamble has a long history of scientific research both internally and through collaboration with external partners in the areas of health, hygiene, and nutrition, dating back more than 50 years. Please visit http://www.pghsi.com/ for more information on the P&G Health Sciences Institute as well as https://www.pg.com/ for the latest news and in- depth information about P&G and its brands.(1) http://www.pghsi.com/gastrointestinal/probiotics.html, accessed on 6.16.06 (2) Efficacy of an Encapsulated Probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 in Women with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, July 2006 Website: http://www.bifantis.com/Website: https://www.pghsi.com/ Website: https://www.pg.com/

#30 starwoman

starwoman

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

I am also anxious to find out news of this Probiotic but cannot obtain it in australia either.Carmen (Starwoman)

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

So you guys are talking about ALign right?I suffer from ibs D and CI have been on it for about 11 months and i havent had D or bad C since i started it. My only problem is that i still have alot of pain and uncomfortable but i have alot more normal bowel movements. So i still feel crappy but im not sitting on the toilet all day anymore.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here