Anyone tried completely starch free diet? - Page 2 - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried completely starch free diet?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:30 AM

Arnie, I had heard of Carols book infact thats what triggered my interest. Do know I shouldn't cheat though it is difficult to avoid some forms and am a bit week willed. Now I'm armed with more food ideas (I love food) I should be better, thank goodness wine is not banded being starch free. Posted Image Must get a copy of Carols book, see its available on line. All very interesting and with luck very very helpful.Jan8

#22 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

The book has a new publisher, Ninox. My copy was an older version, published by RandomHouse, which had no contact details. Anyway, I found a site address at the book launch http://www.lowstarchdiet.net I could ring the publisher tomorrow to find out what the cost would be to post overseas, but I guess it would be easier to go through amazon, etc.I did mention recipes, but don't think I made it clear that the last half of the book consists of low-starch recipes.The rest of the book is an easy-to-read, informative introduction to all facets of starch. Certainly there are statements which are controversial, especially if you are determined that vegetarianism and/or high-unprocessed-grain diets are the way to go.There is no harm in being completely strict with the diet for at least a week. I was told by someone at the launch of a man who had a great improvement with joint pains and debilitation after being on the diet for a few days. Apparently he had been joking that he now no longer had the excuse he used to have to get out of household chores.

#23 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

The book has a new publisher, Ninox. My copy was an older version, published by RandomHouse, which had no contact details. Anyway, I found a site address at the book launch http://www.lowstarchdiet.net I could ring the publisher tomorrow to find out what the cost would be to post overseas, but I guess it would be easier to go through amazon, etc.I did mention recipes, but don't think I made it clear that the last half of the book consists of low-starch recipes.The rest of the book is an easy-to-read, informative introduction to all facets of starch. Certainly there are statements which are controversial, especially if you are determined that vegetarianism and/or high-unprocessed-grain diets are the way to go.There is no harm in being completely strict with the diet for at least a week. I was told by someone at the launch of a man who had a great improvement with joint pains and debilitation after being on the diet for a few days. Apparently he had been joking that he now no longer had the excuse he used to have to get out of household chores.

#24 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

If only debilitation with IBS involved just getting out of household chores, I wish.Have emailed for copy of Carol's book and agree that with most books and board information one needs to sort out facts from fiction. Took a bit of a back wards step after my last posting, that will teach me for cheating. Posted Image Still over all think I'm feeling much better.Jan8 Lifes to short to let this darn IBS get on top all the time. Fight back and dont listen to the knockers. Forget about how others view you, so what if you muck up, if others dont understand its their problem not yours. Lots of good simple things in life to enjoy with or without IBS. I should know after the years of suffering but still having a great time along the way. (Do try NOT to sit next to me on a long flight) Posted Image Posted Image Dont be afraid of doing anything, even if it means taking risks and perhapes precautions.Have a great weekend all.Jan8

#25 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

If only debilitation with IBS involved just getting out of household chores, I wish.Have emailed for copy of Carol's book and agree that with most books and board information one needs to sort out facts from fiction. Took a bit of a back wards step after my last posting, that will teach me for cheating. Posted Image Still over all think I'm feeling much better.Jan8 Lifes to short to let this darn IBS get on top all the time. Fight back and dont listen to the knockers. Forget about how others view you, so what if you muck up, if others dont understand its their problem not yours. Lots of good simple things in life to enjoy with or without IBS. I should know after the years of suffering but still having a great time along the way. (Do try NOT to sit next to me on a long flight) Posted Image Posted Image Dont be afraid of doing anything, even if it means taking risks and perhapes precautions.Have a great weekend all.Jan8

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:53 AM

Bewitched,I eat all vege's except corn. I have to be really creative at times or I feel I will blow it all and have a cookie (I mean a BIG cookie). I buy alot of frozen veg'e combo's so I have many quick choices.I now eat alot of different proteins also. I am loving salmon, cod and shrimp. I also do chicken and turkey as they are easily available. Beef I eat once a week......I so look forward to it. The trick for me is to eat very small meals, about 3-4 hrs apart. My body needs plenty of transit time. I do have one piece of dark chocolate daily yet it's small as a quarter. And, we won't mention my dinner last night, right Arnie ? ha ha. Believe me, I am paying for it today !I have ordered Carol's book also, having gotten the info from Arnie and am so anxious to read it. I wonder if I am one who is so extremely reactive to even supplements and medicines that contain starch in some way.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:53 AM

Bewitched,I eat all vege's except corn. I have to be really creative at times or I feel I will blow it all and have a cookie (I mean a BIG cookie). I buy alot of frozen veg'e combo's so I have many quick choices.I now eat alot of different proteins also. I am loving salmon, cod and shrimp. I also do chicken and turkey as they are easily available. Beef I eat once a week......I so look forward to it. The trick for me is to eat very small meals, about 3-4 hrs apart. My body needs plenty of transit time. I do have one piece of dark chocolate daily yet it's small as a quarter. And, we won't mention my dinner last night, right Arnie ? ha ha. Believe me, I am paying for it today !I have ordered Carol's book also, having gotten the info from Arnie and am so anxious to read it. I wonder if I am one who is so extremely reactive to even supplements and medicines that contain starch in some way.

#28 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:03 AM

Daisy, I didn't know you had actually ordered the book. I'm sure you will find it very helpful.There are all sorts of interesting titbits to be gleaned. For example, how many of us would think of eliminating ginger, but that's a starch. I love crystallised ginger, but I'll have to buy something else for a treat for at least the next few days (or weeks). There is also starch in the pith of citrus.I STRESS over and over to you all, if you are sensitive to starch, the diet mightn't work if you inadvertently consume it. Find out what you should avoid, and then give the diet enough time to gauge whether it is working for you. And that means checking if starch is in your supplements.

#29 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:03 AM

Daisy, I didn't know you had actually ordered the book. I'm sure you will find it very helpful.There are all sorts of interesting titbits to be gleaned. For example, how many of us would think of eliminating ginger, but that's a starch. I love crystallised ginger, but I'll have to buy something else for a treat for at least the next few days (or weeks). There is also starch in the pith of citrus.I STRESS over and over to you all, if you are sensitive to starch, the diet mightn't work if you inadvertently consume it. Find out what you should avoid, and then give the diet enough time to gauge whether it is working for you. And that means checking if starch is in your supplements.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Arnie, I ordered the book yesterday also. Went thru amazon--they were sold out but had 3 left thru an alternate seller.This is an interesting topic. Because I can eat potatoes, I dismissed the starch connection for myself. But I always eat boiled potatoes(mashed, in stew, boiled then home-fried, etc).Less resistant? I also had relief when I stopped eating foods like bananas, apples, eggplant, yams, etc & attributed it to fructose. Maybe the starch had something to do with it? Although I really reacted to cucumber, & it doesn't seem very starchy...With DA-IBS (& ibsacol?), I don't seem to react to foods as before, but I still go 2-3 times every am, formed beause I take fiber. Maybe going low starch while on the supplements will help get me off the Metamucil....Arnie, what are some of the ingredients in supplements that indicate starch? If there are many, maybe just a couple of the most common? Pleeeeease? Magnesium stearate?I also ordered 2 other books which were recommended here--one for colitis & the other for IBD. Never hurts to see many diff views which have helped people.(I tried the specific carb diet some time ago w/o any luck, maybe its time to try something new.)Gilly, thanks for the link to the kickas forum. I don't have AS, knock on wood. but it's very informative there! And the klebsiella bacteria was a new one for me. Interesting that it's often found with an overgrowth of C. Diffile &/or Candida.It was also interesting to read there that Cipro works great on the Kb, but won't work well if you're consuming starch. Jan, I'm glad you started this topic--am learning alot! ThanksTalissa

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Arnie, I ordered the book yesterday also. Went thru amazon--they were sold out but had 3 left thru an alternate seller.This is an interesting topic. Because I can eat potatoes, I dismissed the starch connection for myself. But I always eat boiled potatoes(mashed, in stew, boiled then home-fried, etc).Less resistant? I also had relief when I stopped eating foods like bananas, apples, eggplant, yams, etc & attributed it to fructose. Maybe the starch had something to do with it? Although I really reacted to cucumber, & it doesn't seem very starchy...With DA-IBS (& ibsacol?), I don't seem to react to foods as before, but I still go 2-3 times every am, formed beause I take fiber. Maybe going low starch while on the supplements will help get me off the Metamucil....Arnie, what are some of the ingredients in supplements that indicate starch? If there are many, maybe just a couple of the most common? Pleeeeease? Magnesium stearate?I also ordered 2 other books which were recommended here--one for colitis & the other for IBD. Never hurts to see many diff views which have helped people.(I tried the specific carb diet some time ago w/o any luck, maybe its time to try something new.)Gilly, thanks for the link to the kickas forum. I don't have AS, knock on wood. but it's very informative there! And the klebsiella bacteria was a new one for me. Interesting that it's often found with an overgrowth of C. Diffile &/or Candida.It was also interesting to read there that Cipro works great on the Kb, but won't work well if you're consuming starch. Jan, I'm glad you started this topic--am learning alot! ThanksTalissa

#32 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

I hear what you're saying, talissa. Sorry I can't help with the magnesium stearate, but Carol suggests that although starch is found in a lot of medication, it may be available in liquid or starch-free form, and you could talk with your GP or pharmacist about that. Pain-releivers are also available in liquid or starch-free forms. You can use aspro-clear or alka-Seltzer. Many health supplements state now whether they contain starch, and we just need to check the labels.Epsom salts are recommended as a laxative, but I told Carol it didn't work for me at all as it gave me D each time I used it. I don't think I need it now. I was eating no fruit or veggies at the time.Carol stresses that you see your GP before giving up tranquillizers, etc.It would be great if we could get Carol to join us for a while to answer some of our questions. Hopefully I'll hear from her soon.You may not need to give up all starch. The book explains how to give up the main offenders first, then you can go to the next stage. The first stage is basically gluten free along with pulses and lentils.I have trialled the diet for a while, but not to the final stage, which starts today. I had been eating rice every day.Lots of linseed oil and salads, along with my usual high protein intake, will be the mainstay.Thanks, talissa, for the response you gave to me on another thread about paragon. I'd better check out the ingredients. BTW, the klebsisella bacteria, which is mentioned as a culprit for ankylosing spondyltis, figured highly in my GSDL stool test. Klebsiella thrives on starch.

#33 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

I hear what you're saying, talissa. Sorry I can't help with the magnesium stearate, but Carol suggests that although starch is found in a lot of medication, it may be available in liquid or starch-free form, and you could talk with your GP or pharmacist about that. Pain-releivers are also available in liquid or starch-free forms. You can use aspro-clear or alka-Seltzer. Many health supplements state now whether they contain starch, and we just need to check the labels.Epsom salts are recommended as a laxative, but I told Carol it didn't work for me at all as it gave me D each time I used it. I don't think I need it now. I was eating no fruit or veggies at the time.Carol stresses that you see your GP before giving up tranquillizers, etc.It would be great if we could get Carol to join us for a while to answer some of our questions. Hopefully I'll hear from her soon.You may not need to give up all starch. The book explains how to give up the main offenders first, then you can go to the next stage. The first stage is basically gluten free along with pulses and lentils.I have trialled the diet for a while, but not to the final stage, which starts today. I had been eating rice every day.Lots of linseed oil and salads, along with my usual high protein intake, will be the mainstay.Thanks, talissa, for the response you gave to me on another thread about paragon. I'd better check out the ingredients. BTW, the klebsisella bacteria, which is mentioned as a culprit for ankylosing spondyltis, figured highly in my GSDL stool test. Klebsiella thrives on starch.

#34 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

Arnie, ginger oh no! Darn and it's a favourate spice I use both fresh and powdered in lots of veg based dishes. Ginger is suppose to be good to settle the gut, how wrong you can be in some cases. I'm trying to get by without rice as in the past have gone rice flour bread with rice rice and more rice with this and that and found little IBS improvement. Hopefully an indication that I'm on the right track with starch. At this point my starch intake is about a tenth of what it was and I intend to improve on this. It really is a matter of working out what can be eaten that will have some substance. Like what to eat for breakfast when toast and marmalade along with some more starch in the form of cereal has been the major breakfast most of the time. Oh well I will just have to dream and perhapes have the odd spoon full of mamalade. This is definately much harder than any previous diet I've tried and expect one would loose weight on it? Arnie have you noticed any lack of energy, although with the rice you would likely be ok. Not sure without it, we do need a copy of Carols book and Carols ear and voice would be helpful.Jan8

#35 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

Arnie, ginger oh no! Darn and it's a favourate spice I use both fresh and powdered in lots of veg based dishes. Ginger is suppose to be good to settle the gut, how wrong you can be in some cases. I'm trying to get by without rice as in the past have gone rice flour bread with rice rice and more rice with this and that and found little IBS improvement. Hopefully an indication that I'm on the right track with starch. At this point my starch intake is about a tenth of what it was and I intend to improve on this. It really is a matter of working out what can be eaten that will have some substance. Like what to eat for breakfast when toast and marmalade along with some more starch in the form of cereal has been the major breakfast most of the time. Oh well I will just have to dream and perhapes have the odd spoon full of mamalade. This is definately much harder than any previous diet I've tried and expect one would loose weight on it? Arnie have you noticed any lack of energy, although with the rice you would likely be ok. Not sure without it, we do need a copy of Carols book and Carols ear and voice would be helpful.Jan8

#36 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

Jan, you're a carbon copy of me. If it's not rice bread, it's rice cereal or porridge.In fact I've had rice and tuna for breakfast for months.If the diet works for us, it will certainly revolutionise the way we eat, but it would be worth it.Carol tolerates smallish amounts of sugar, so you possibly could eat marmalade, if you can find something to put it on. There are recipes for desserts and sweets, so all is not lost. Even for pavlova, which, if you're south of the equator, you're probably familiar with. I don't know if Americans have been introduced to it.Hopefully you can get by without giving up ginger. You are right - it is recommended for good digestion - but it is a starch, so it mightn't be right for our purposes.And, for those especially who will be giving up gluten and wheat, expect to lose weight. I've eliminated gluten frequently and always lost much weight in the process.I'm eating up to 6 meals a day and am making a concerted effort to maintain weight, esp with generous helpings of good fat, which will give the energy you would normally get from carbs.Daisy and I both work out frequently so will be aware of any changes with energy and can keep you posted. It would be a bonus to maybe get some relief from the niggling joint pains I always seem to have, which maybe are associated with ankylosing spondylitis (AS).I can see this turning into another Dr D thread when we all start sharing our experiences.

#37 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

Jan, you're a carbon copy of me. If it's not rice bread, it's rice cereal or porridge.In fact I've had rice and tuna for breakfast for months.If the diet works for us, it will certainly revolutionise the way we eat, but it would be worth it.Carol tolerates smallish amounts of sugar, so you possibly could eat marmalade, if you can find something to put it on. There are recipes for desserts and sweets, so all is not lost. Even for pavlova, which, if you're south of the equator, you're probably familiar with. I don't know if Americans have been introduced to it.Hopefully you can get by without giving up ginger. You are right - it is recommended for good digestion - but it is a starch, so it mightn't be right for our purposes.And, for those especially who will be giving up gluten and wheat, expect to lose weight. I've eliminated gluten frequently and always lost much weight in the process.I'm eating up to 6 meals a day and am making a concerted effort to maintain weight, esp with generous helpings of good fat, which will give the energy you would normally get from carbs.Daisy and I both work out frequently so will be aware of any changes with energy and can keep you posted. It would be a bonus to maybe get some relief from the niggling joint pains I always seem to have, which maybe are associated with ankylosing spondylitis (AS).I can see this turning into another Dr D thread when we all start sharing our experiences.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

Any positive news?I am still waiting for the book to arrive.What is allowed in the way of sugars?Will let you know if my daughter gets started with the diet.Gilly

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

Any positive news?I am still waiting for the book to arrive.What is allowed in the way of sugars?Will let you know if my daughter gets started with the diet.Gilly

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:35 PM

I found the book at my local library.Its fairly convincing,but im worried that its more for ankylosing spondylitis.She suggests having a gene test,but I live in fear of suggesting one more possible ailment to the doctors, for fear of being labelled neurotic! Anyway probably best just to try the diet for 1-2 weeks and see.If you dont eat eggs it seems to be very difficult,but we will give it a try I think.My daughter does get a lot of back pain but I dont think it sounds like AS.Anyone still doing this? gilly

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here