Anyone tried completely starch free diet? - Page 3 - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried completely starch free diet?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:35 PM

I found the book at my local library.Its fairly convincing,but im worried that its more for ankylosing spondylitis.She suggests having a gene test,but I live in fear of suggesting one more possible ailment to the doctors, for fear of being labelled neurotic! Anyway probably best just to try the diet for 1-2 weeks and see.If you dont eat eggs it seems to be very difficult,but we will give it a try I think.My daughter does get a lot of back pain but I dont think it sounds like AS.Anyone still doing this? gilly

#42 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:01 AM

Gilly, the booklaunch I attended in NZ was advertised for IBS. Carol found relief for both conditions.You don't need to get your protein from eggs. I'm getting most of mine from meat. If you can tolerate it, you're allowed milk.I'm experimenting to find out what I can tolerate, though did a week straight of no cheating, during which time my bms were much more regular and consistent. I continue to lose weight on this diet, despite eating heaps.I'm thinking of getting tested for AS too, but feel in the same boat. The proof will be in the pudding, though. If the aching joints clear up, we'll have a better indication.The best part of the diet is testing for starch. I feel like a schoolkid all over again in my enthusiasm to find out what I can eat.

#43 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:01 AM

Gilly, the booklaunch I attended in NZ was advertised for IBS. Carol found relief for both conditions.You don't need to get your protein from eggs. I'm getting most of mine from meat. If you can tolerate it, you're allowed milk.I'm experimenting to find out what I can tolerate, though did a week straight of no cheating, during which time my bms were much more regular and consistent. I continue to lose weight on this diet, despite eating heaps.I'm thinking of getting tested for AS too, but feel in the same boat. The proof will be in the pudding, though. If the aching joints clear up, we'll have a better indication.The best part of the diet is testing for starch. I feel like a schoolkid all over again in my enthusiasm to find out what I can eat.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:32 PM

Would it be alright to add to this thread if I am doing the no-starch diet yet not the Carol Sinclair method ? I am doing the Dr Mercola method of no-starch, no-grains, no dairy and no sugars at all. I feel great. There are so many other foods to eat and thankfully he's laid them out.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:32 PM

Would it be alright to add to this thread if I am doing the no-starch diet yet not the Carol Sinclair method ? I am doing the Dr Mercola method of no-starch, no-grains, no dairy and no sugars at all. I feel great. There are so many other foods to eat and thankfully he's laid them out.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:35 PM

oh, my son (14yrs old) is doing it also, and he's lost 8lbs already. It's great for him as he gets so sleepy and sluggish with any carbs or sugars. Now he's got energy to ride his bike, go for a walk with me and stay awake till bedtime. Basically this is the plan (without an official book, just my own knowledge as a trainer) my oldest used (he's 18) to lose 65lbs and feel great. I recommend this option to anyone with any weight or health issues at all........and TRY to recommend it to others also yet I get some strange looks.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:35 PM

oh, my son (14yrs old) is doing it also, and he's lost 8lbs already. It's great for him as he gets so sleepy and sluggish with any carbs or sugars. Now he's got energy to ride his bike, go for a walk with me and stay awake till bedtime. Basically this is the plan (without an official book, just my own knowledge as a trainer) my oldest used (he's 18) to lose 65lbs and feel great. I recommend this option to anyone with any weight or health issues at all........and TRY to recommend it to others also yet I get some strange looks.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:39 AM

Daisysp,Hi great that you are feeling so good.Are you eating mainly fruit veg. and meat?Did you buy Mercolas book?or is there a website?My daughter is trying to start low srarch next week,but doesnt have soy or eggs.are you cooking things with the almond flour?thanks Gilly

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:39 AM

Daisysp,Hi great that you are feeling so good.Are you eating mainly fruit veg. and meat?Did you buy Mercolas book?or is there a website?My daughter is trying to start low srarch next week,but doesnt have soy or eggs.are you cooking things with the almond flour?thanks Gilly

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

Alright, I will try this again. I just typed and answer yet it got kicked back to me. Weird.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

Alright, I will try this again. I just typed and answer yet it got kicked back to me. Weird.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:47 AM

The site is Mercola.com and that is where I originally got the info, then bought the book, No-Grain Diet. There are no sugars in the startup program, which means no fruits. Also no soy and very very few eggs......only omega-3 eggs. I eat protein and vege's all day long, in different varieties and such. There are great recipes in the book. The only nut is walnut recommended, not almonds........that may be a Carol Sinclair thing ?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:47 AM

The site is Mercola.com and that is where I originally got the info, then bought the book, No-Grain Diet. There are no sugars in the startup program, which means no fruits. Also no soy and very very few eggs......only omega-3 eggs. I eat protein and vege's all day long, in different varieties and such. There are great recipes in the book. The only nut is walnut recommended, not almonds........that may be a Carol Sinclair thing ?

#54 AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

I have been trying to be steady on the no starch diet for quite some time, but not quite there yet.I have questionsWhat confuses me that many people complain from butter and fatty food, Butter and moderate fat food seem to suit me.First question Does butter contain starch, or lactoze.second question Any one find butter ok, please let me know because I might be missing something.Any carb, gluten and lactoze are a big no no for me.

#55 AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

I have been trying to be steady on the no starch diet for quite some time, but not quite there yet.I have questionsWhat confuses me that many people complain from butter and fatty food, Butter and moderate fat food seem to suit me.First question Does butter contain starch, or lactoze.second question Any one find butter ok, please let me know because I might be missing something.Any carb, gluten and lactoze are a big no no for me.

#56 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

Butter usually contains small traces of lactose, if any, but not enough that should be a problem for everyone (depends on how pure they got the fat and it is generally difficult in an industrial process to make sure that EVERY single molecule of something is completely 100% removed).IT would only contain starch if the processer added it.Some people find fatty foods really bother their diarrhea, others do not. May depend on your bile production and recycling capacities. It could be those who do not tolerate fat tend to produce more bile than they can recycle and excess bile in the stool causes diarrhea (why some with gall bladders removed have fat in the diet issues)If fat doesn't bother you, great, but there is no one hard fast rule that is true of all IBSers when it comes to diet.When butter bothers people it is more likely to be a fat issues than a lactose issue.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#57 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

Butter usually contains small traces of lactose, if any, but not enough that should be a problem for everyone (depends on how pure they got the fat and it is generally difficult in an industrial process to make sure that EVERY single molecule of something is completely 100% removed).IT would only contain starch if the processer added it.Some people find fatty foods really bother their diarrhea, others do not. May depend on your bile production and recycling capacities. It could be those who do not tolerate fat tend to produce more bile than they can recycle and excess bile in the stool causes diarrhea (why some with gall bladders removed have fat in the diet issues)If fat doesn't bother you, great, but there is no one hard fast rule that is true of all IBSers when it comes to diet.When butter bothers people it is more likely to be a fat issues than a lactose issue.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#58 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

Interesting, kmottus. Dr D recommends no dairy on his programme, apart from butter. In the thread you responded to about cooking oil, I assume that the symptom was D.It seems strange that fats can cause C and D, yet flaxseed oil is supposed to benefit both C and D, as well as lowering cholesterol levels. I use a lot of flaxseed oil, probably too much, to keep my energy levels up and prevent too much weight loss.BeautyLover, I mentioned in my last post about testing for starch, but didn't mention how to do it. If you want to test whether food contains starch, buy an eyedropper and a small bottle of iodine from your pharmacist. Put a drop on a small portion of the food you want to test, which you will then discard. If it turns a black colour, it contains starch. I tested yesterday for a pate I bought which I thought was safe, but it turned black. The ingredients were: chicken liver, turkey liver,cream, butter, onion, garlic, spice and salt. For the life of me, I can't imagine what the culprit was. Maybe the spices? Fruit can develop starch if cold-stored, so it could have been the cranberries.

#59 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

Interesting, kmottus. Dr D recommends no dairy on his programme, apart from butter. In the thread you responded to about cooking oil, I assume that the symptom was D.It seems strange that fats can cause C and D, yet flaxseed oil is supposed to benefit both C and D, as well as lowering cholesterol levels. I use a lot of flaxseed oil, probably too much, to keep my energy levels up and prevent too much weight loss.BeautyLover, I mentioned in my last post about testing for starch, but didn't mention how to do it. If you want to test whether food contains starch, buy an eyedropper and a small bottle of iodine from your pharmacist. Put a drop on a small portion of the food you want to test, which you will then discard. If it turns a black colour, it contains starch. I tested yesterday for a pate I bought which I thought was safe, but it turned black. The ingredients were: chicken liver, turkey liver,cream, butter, onion, garlic, spice and salt. For the life of me, I can't imagine what the culprit was. Maybe the spices? Fruit can develop starch if cold-stored, so it could have been the cranberries.

#60 AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

Thanks kmottus, and Arnie WArnie WI am following your posts about the no starch diet since your "I think" first post.It has the most effect on my lower back and colon pain.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here