Anyone tried completely starch free diet? - Page 6 - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone tried completely starch free diet?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#101 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

Oh dear, I over did things and had some wonderful bread (boy was it good or what) and managed to have 2 rather bad days. How are others going with this starch free diet. Arnie I did have a little rice and it seemed to be ok. Tending to be a bit more careful now and trying not to cheat, am seeing the error of my ways and have felt them to. Starch free, it really is worth a shot. It does work giving me excellent results.I was C with frequent D plus incomplete BM's and enough gas to fuel my own space ship. Now I'm at little C with no D almost complete BM's and normal (I think) amounts of gas.For me I Love Starch Free its set me free. Posted Image Posted Image

#102 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

You said in another thread that we were like peas from the same pod, jan. Well, you have my exact same symptoms.And the only problem I am finding with the diet is that I still get C. It's not a worrying thing, but I feel that I won't be contented until I have complete evacuations. I intend to ask my pharmacist if there is a no/low-starch laxative I can use.

#103 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

You said in another thread that we were like peas from the same pod, jan. Well, you have my exact same symptoms.And the only problem I am finding with the diet is that I still get C. It's not a worrying thing, but I feel that I won't be contented until I have complete evacuations. I intend to ask my pharmacist if there is a no/low-starch laxative I can use.

#104 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:23 PM

Arnie, I also am having to continue to keep a close eye on C, feel its a small price to pay, being gas free and D free the C will in time improve I'm hoping. Its actually for me like going back to childhood when C was the only problem I had. Would be good if you could come up with a natural laxative Arnie. Could you eat dryed prunes, apples etc. and make sure you drink plenty. This seems to be helping (just) for me.Found another veg. packed with starch. Thought chocos would be fine and had not tested them. Had the same old pre starch free diet symptoms, twice after eating just a little choko. Find I'm now able to quickly identify problem foods even without testing. It makes such a difference knowing what your looking for. The iodine test confirmed chokos, raw or cook they are one big load of starch. Oh and finally got around to testing bananas, yes as expected starch positive, but interesting that the middles of the banana did not turn. ? could very ripe bananas hold less starch, the banana tested appearedd to be ripening from the centre. Do they ripen from the middle out? not that it matters as will never risk them again. Use to eat them as a quick meal and training snack having one or two most days and loved them fryed. Foolish me.

#105 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:23 PM

Arnie, I also am having to continue to keep a close eye on C, feel its a small price to pay, being gas free and D free the C will in time improve I'm hoping. Its actually for me like going back to childhood when C was the only problem I had. Would be good if you could come up with a natural laxative Arnie. Could you eat dryed prunes, apples etc. and make sure you drink plenty. This seems to be helping (just) for me.Found another veg. packed with starch. Thought chocos would be fine and had not tested them. Had the same old pre starch free diet symptoms, twice after eating just a little choko. Find I'm now able to quickly identify problem foods even without testing. It makes such a difference knowing what your looking for. The iodine test confirmed chokos, raw or cook they are one big load of starch. Oh and finally got around to testing bananas, yes as expected starch positive, but interesting that the middles of the banana did not turn. ? could very ripe bananas hold less starch, the banana tested appearedd to be ripening from the centre. Do they ripen from the middle out? not that it matters as will never risk them again. Use to eat them as a quick meal and training snack having one or two most days and loved them fryed. Foolish me.

#106 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

Have just posted on another thread and thought I should add it here also.Pepper is loaded with starch. I've always loved peppered steaks. The up side is that the steak is not the problem. Posted Image Posted Image Starch free may not work for all, for me it is a cure Posted Image Are you giving starch free a try? if so how are you going with it?

#107 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

Have just posted on another thread and thought I should add it here also.Pepper is loaded with starch. I've always loved peppered steaks. The up side is that the steak is not the problem. Posted Image Posted Image Starch free may not work for all, for me it is a cure Posted Image Are you giving starch free a try? if so how are you going with it?

#108 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:47 AM

Hey, jan, have you noticed that we've taken over this thread? It's getting rather lonely here.At the back of my mind I know that life is much more bearable for me this way. I would not choose to have to be taking this route. I feel that I could give up almost anything else, but let me have my bread and cakes. Unfortunately, that's not the way it's destined to be apparently.At the end of the day, if we knew without a shadow of a doubt that a certain diet would take away our symptoms, who among us would not adhere to it? It is certainly worth a bit of deprivation to try to find out.

#109 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:47 AM

Hey, jan, have you noticed that we've taken over this thread? It's getting rather lonely here.At the back of my mind I know that life is much more bearable for me this way. I would not choose to have to be taking this route. I feel that I could give up almost anything else, but let me have my bread and cakes. Unfortunately, that's not the way it's destined to be apparently.At the end of the day, if we knew without a shadow of a doubt that a certain diet would take away our symptoms, who among us would not adhere to it? It is certainly worth a bit of deprivation to try to find out.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

hi, i tried starch free this time last yr after buying a book from amazon on it (i think the only one there is on the subject). im not sure if it helped me or not but i found there were very few things i could eat as i am a vegetarian. i went to a dietician at the start of the year and i am now on a no fibre diet which has helped me SO much. im now confident about eating and the diahoea and multiple BM's per day are a thing of the past. i do have to be careful though and im realising that my tummy does not like cheese!

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

hi, i tried starch free this time last yr after buying a book from amazon on it (i think the only one there is on the subject). im not sure if it helped me or not but i found there were very few things i could eat as i am a vegetarian. i went to a dietician at the start of the year and i am now on a no fibre diet which has helped me SO much. im now confident about eating and the diahoea and multiple BM's per day are a thing of the past. i do have to be careful though and im realising that my tummy does not like cheese!

#112 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi Vicky19, yes would be difficult to go starch free and be vegetarian. Cheese for me I think is fine. Interesting that cutting out the fibre has helped you. Its something I was told about some time back, that thinking has (is) changed, that all this fibre is not such a good thing for many of us and can actually do more harm than good. Excellent that you are so much improved.Arnie, Oh well may be others are busy else where? You may be interested to know that I had a vege and rice dish last night. Actually ate rather a lot of rice, good quality and well rinsed after cooking. Today I've been fine, no problems what so ever so will have to try a few more times before I'll know for sure I expect. Have a feeling that combinations play a part.

#113 Jan8

Jan8

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi Vicky19, yes would be difficult to go starch free and be vegetarian. Cheese for me I think is fine. Interesting that cutting out the fibre has helped you. Its something I was told about some time back, that thinking has (is) changed, that all this fibre is not such a good thing for many of us and can actually do more harm than good. Excellent that you are so much improved.Arnie, Oh well may be others are busy else where? You may be interested to know that I had a vege and rice dish last night. Actually ate rather a lot of rice, good quality and well rinsed after cooking. Today I've been fine, no problems what so ever so will have to try a few more times before I'll know for sure I expect. Have a feeling that combinations play a part.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

I would still like to know why,if the Sinclair book is so good,it does not appear on the list of books proposed by this website?Also,it's a bit off-putting that the author said she would like to participate on this site but has so far declined to do so.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

I would still like to know why,if the Sinclair book is so good,it does not appear on the list of books proposed by this website?Also,it's a bit off-putting that the author said she would like to participate on this site but has so far declined to do so.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

If the Sinclair book is so helpful,why isn't it on the list of books displayed on this website?Also,if the author had shown interest in participating in this site,isn't it a bit off-putting that she hasn't shown?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

If the Sinclair book is so helpful,why isn't it on the list of books displayed on this website?Also,if the author had shown interest in participating in this site,isn't it a bit off-putting that she hasn't shown?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:39 PM

Sorry folks,something weird going on here - I posted the first message this morning and it didn't appear tonight.So,I wrote a new one....and they both popped up together !I am not an obsessive - or maybe I am????

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:39 PM

Sorry folks,something weird going on here - I posted the first message this morning and it didn't appear tonight.So,I wrote a new one....and they both popped up together !I am not an obsessive - or maybe I am????

#120 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:10 PM

We're all obsessive round here - well, about our bowels anyway. I'm sure that's why my doctor thinks, anyway.I don't know why the book is not advertised on the site. Maybe Jeffrey Roberts could answer that. I imagine that the publishers of any book about IBS would alert various sites to get maximum publicity and these particular publishers have not done so. Or maybe Jeffrey needs to be alerted to a book in order for it to be publicised.I had correspondence with the publishers and author of the book, after I met the author in person. Carol Sinclair seemed to be a very nice, genuine, obliging woman, who showed an interest in the site when I mentioned it to her, whereas the publishers were interested in how I could give publicity for the book rather than how the author could help with individual personal questions on a message board.I could give the author the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe she is not internet-savvy, lost my email or has been far too busy. So I don't really want to grovel and beg for her to contribute to our thread. However, the potential to make several sales through this thread and a consequent tricklng effect through to other threads seems to be a wasted opportunity for her.That's my grumble for the day!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here