Terrible bloating...and weight gain! - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Terrible bloating...and weight gain!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:56 AM

Advertisement
I have experienced terrible bloating for the last year. In one day, I can gain up to 8 pounds, and I'm only 113 pounds to begin with! I've had an endoscopy, lots of tests, and have tried everything under the sun, including ThreeLac packets for Candida, chewing fennel seeds, eating the IBS diet, etc. Nothing seems to work.I exercise up to 3 hours a day...I'm a long-distance runner. That doesn't seem to help, either; in fact, I sometimes wonder if exercise makes it worse!I'm at my wits' end...I don't know what to do next! I've gained 10 pounds in the last 8 months, and most days I can't wear the majority of my pants because my stomach is so swollen! Please help!!!!!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

Hi,I've had bloating/distension for 8 years so I understand how you feel.I have also tried many different things and still haven't found a good resolution.One thing that I have been looking into is bacterial imbalance as an issue. There is a separate forum here for SIBO, you might find some helpful information there.I am also doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet right now. It eliminates all grains and all sugar plus some other stuff. I haven't been on it long enough to tell if it will help with the bloating.It's hard to know what else to say without knowing more about your specific situation. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board, willing to help. So keep asking questions, I have learned a lot here.I only wear loose fitting pants with elastic waistbands now as I do not know when the distension will hit.Hope this helps some, Stokes

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hi Runner,I am experiencing what sounds like the same symptoms you list. Incredible bloating after eating anything and my weight has jumped up also.(bloat is my only symptom--no pain, etc) When I wake up in the morning my stomach is pretty much flat--although not as flat as it used to be, and by nighttime it is about 4months pregnant big. I am slim so it is very noticeable on my body. It's upsetting and frustrating especially since I work out about 1 1/2hrs a day and watch what I eat. I have been for lots of testing (CT Scan, ultra sound, endoscopy, blood tests, Celiac) and besides stomach inflammation everything else is normal. I am being treated right now with Xifaxan, although i am on my 5th day (of a 17day 800mg treatment) and am seeing no results. The doctor suggested possibly some damage had been done to my stomach due to use of amoxicillan years ago after a parasite infection, and has suggested a gastric emptying test be taken if everything else turns out negative. I am wondering if you have had any progress or have any idea what could be causing this. I feel helpless and defeated by this mysterious bloat. I am 25 and this started about 2 years ago but has become progressively worse.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

My symptoms are the same as Girl11... I'm model-flat in the morning, and look pregnant on a bad day by evening. (not that looking pregnant is bad...if you are pregnant) I do notice that sugar & white flour products make it worse, and try to stay away from those. One thing I've found helpful for the stuck-gas-that-won't-come-out-bloating (not to be confused with the general food-reaction-pain bloating) is a move called "putting the organs in place" which is part of a therapeutic workout by Teresa Tapp. basically all our organs fall south as we age, esp people with short torsos (which is determined by your lowest rib-to-hip measurement). Long torsos have more room for internal organs; short torsos, much less, so falling organs put weight and pressure on the intestines, and cause a bulge outward even in the absense of bloating. There's free info at: www.t-tapp.com. Go to the "free Try before you buy" link under the Features heading. Then click on "T-Tapp Secrets to a Flat Stomach." The way to put the organs in place is in there. I find it very helpful for moving stuck gas, in addition to being a standard move in her ab workout. Incidentally girl11, working out 1-1/2 hrs a day may put you in overtraining mode--I'm not a personal trainer but you may be exhausting yourself and not seeing results. Check out the T-Tapp workout. It's really a butt-kicker and highly effective on an every-other-day schedule.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

Hi, I am a new member, after reading the boards for 7 months. I had an Endoscopy and colonoscopy. Have Hiatal Hernia but doctor says they find nothing else wrong.. Was diagnosed years ago with Acid Reflux. I recently had a Hydrogen Lactulose Breath Test-result overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines. Taking 2 week regimen of Xifaxan (8oomg da).Still bloating immediately after eating- small meals or large ones. Doctor did not even say to come back after taking antibiotics-so I guess I am supposed to call them if it doesn't work.The distension is awful. Sometimes overnight, it may go down. It is the upper abdomen. Doctor diagnosed IBS, but I don't have any pain, except for middle back on left side. What next?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

Artgirl2--Have you gone to a doctor about this? if so, what was the diagnosis? I will try the t-tapp workout--thanks for the recommendation, I've never heard of that. Also, just wondering, what is your age?? and how long have you had the bloating?? Thanks in advance for reply.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

Hi Girl11, you mean have I gone to the dr .. about what, the bloating? I'm medically diagnosed with IBS, if that's what you mean (not self-diagnosed, but pretty much I assumed I had it before the tests). I don't take any Rx for it and most "natural" remedies I've tried myself work for a while, then not. The main troubling symptoms for me are the bloating and stuck-gas-pain feelings, which I almost always have at some time during the day, even if for only a short time but of course it can go on & on. I'm fortunate to not have some of the more severe IBS symptoms that I've read about. Then there's the intermittent C & D, but I pretty much have the under control.Let's see, re: your questions I just turned 50, have probably had IBS most of my adult life but was officially diagnosed in the mid-1990's. Bloating became esp bad in the mid-90's as well, as I recall, as well as other symptoms. I know what foods to avoid -- dairy, spices, too many raw veggies-- chew my food well -- but it still happens. Peppermint caps, probiotics, fiber, colon cleanses, etc etc etc nothing has really helped but each thing helps a little, for a while, then it starts up again. It does get frustrating!! The organs-in-place move I talked about really seems to help me with the stuck-gas feeling which can really ruin my day. At least it helps it to move!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Wow.I have never found anyone else that has described the same symptoms as myself. I thought I was an oddity. I've been diagnosed with IBS but always thought IBS had to be D or C. I just bloat. I thought I had been misdiagnosed all these years.What a relief to find this forum!I am a "flat belly" morning person who starts to bloat at around 3 o'clock every day. I can easily pass for a 5-6 months pregnant in the afternoon/evening. And I've never know what's wrong with me. I thought I was an oddity.I bought my first bottle of enteric coated peppermint oil today after discovering this forum last night. Although I don't have any advice, I just had to post because I'm optimistic about the support and advice I might find here!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

I was just diagnosed with IBS last week. I've had terrible bloating for the past year. Same thing...in the morning I wake up extremely skinny and around 2/3 o'clock I start getting bloated to the point where when I get home from work I look 6 months pregnant. I feel like I'm going to need to start buying maternity clothes...which wouldn't be a problem if I was pregnant. The doctor put me on fiber pills but now I seem to be going to the bathroom less (i've never had a problem before) and I'm waking up bloated and just getting more and more bloated as the day goes on. I dont know if fiber takes a while to start working or if I'm just wasting my time and causing myself more pain and trouble. Is the peppermint oil working? Sometimes I drink peppermint tea but it doesn't usually do too much.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

This is new to me. I am an IBS sufferer. Just ordered peppermint capsules and excited to use all info I have received today on the internet. Bloating is the worst !! My husband doesnt understand, Always looking for that bathroom. Does it ever end??

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Hello, dear bloaters,I am an experienced bloater. About 6 years.This is how I get rid of gas and bloating.I take immediately 4 capsules of charcoal capsules . Charcoal absorbs gas. Then I administer anema. I used to buy regular Fleet enema and use as is . Then I saw bloody mucus in my stool after this enema. With a lot of reading I learned that Fleet enema is irritating. Should be diluted with water and administered from the rubber bag. Don't hang this bag too high because it exerts pressure. The best to lay on the floor of the bathroom and hang the bag on the knob of the door. No cramps. Hold the water maximum tolerable time.Your waste will come out with the gas that tortured you. Relief is immediate, but your bowels are tender. Go to bed and put warm, never hot, heating pad on your ab. Keep pain journal what foods produce gas. You'll have this dis-ease in control.

#12 Guest_crazy4bruno_*

Guest_crazy4bruno_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Oh my god - I can't believe I found this site. I have the same problems. The only time, anymore, when my stomach is flat is after I have diarrhea (sorry). I have bloating immediately after eating just about anything. I look pregnant 1/2 the time and can gain 5, 6, 7 lbs in one day.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi all,I'm brand new here and this is my first ever comment. I too suffer from bloating and weight gain, and have done so for the last 3 years. I think I have always had IBS, but was only diagnoses about 1 year ago. My diagnosis is IBS-C, combined with slow transit constipation. On a good day now I look about 4 months pregnant, and on a bad day I look like I am full term with triplets. The only thing I have found that helps is an extrememly limited diet - no fruit, no veges, no gluten, no deep fried foods, and as low fibre as I can get away with. I have to drink alot of water, as well as stay away from caffiene and dairy products. As you can probably imagine this leaves me with almost nothing to eat at all. I am on Tegaserod (Zelnorm), Domperidone and buscapan as well as Oral Fleet and Picoprep intermittently. I know this is probably no help, but I personally am so happy to finally find people like myself that can understand what I am going through.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

Posted Imagei tried the charcoal and it did nothing for the bloat.do any of you watch your stomach grow and bloat and get contractions too?i can lose weight everwhere except my upper stomach and all my clothes ride up on it so i look pg.i forget about until i just happen by a mirror and can't belive i look pg so bad.i have had to resort to wearing a lot of dressesand have gone up two sizes just to fit my bloated stomachmine is different as it does not go down i wake up this way and it stays this wayi asked my new dr. about it and he was'nt concerned but i'm going to pin him down he did say to take benefiber but that stuff makes me sicki have tried all the ways that have been on here and most work for a while and then stop.tried the peppermint and charcoal and new cleansing stuff and fiber and etc..........so what next?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Well, i've had some progress. Last week I started Enzymatic's Body Cleanse thing. It's quite a regimen! Lots of pills to take in the morning and at night and it's a lot of water to drink before bed, so I've been up in the middle of the night, but it's been helping so far. It's to help incase there are any toxins in the intestines. So I'm supposed to do this for two weeks. Just plain fiber was making me really really bloated in the morning and just making me look more and more prengant, but this has fiber and a laxative and all this other junk that somehow keeps stuff moving and I really like it. I'm also taking I think its Dietary Enzymes after I eat. You can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. It's supposed to be after each meal but I usually do after any snacks too because my bloating is so sensitive. So, i take two of those after I eat. I also take 2 b-6 vitamins at bedtime. Those are supposed to be for healthy immune systems, nutrition deficiency, the digestive tract, and depression. Everytime I go to the doctor she keeps saying "well, everything is related, you need to stop worrying, i think this all is because you worry." The idiot lady doesn't realize the only reason I worry is because no one is finding out what is wrong and I'm tired of bloating out of my clothes every afternoon. So maybe this is all related in one vicious cycle. Anyway, this stuff is helping so far. The past 4 days I haven't gotten that bloated. There has been a slight bloat but no pain and I think if I wasn't looking for it I wouldn't have even noticed it. I recommend it. Anyone else try anything good?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hi,You might have a hiatal hernia causing the bloating. I have just been diagnosed with one and will see a gastro doc on Friday for tests. I start out bloated in the morning and get progressively larger as the day wears on, until it is like I have a huge watermelon in my stomach at night. Every time I eat makes it worse.One of the main symptons of a hiatal hernia is there is intense pressure in your chest, like your stomach is going up under your ribs--and it actually is (a portion of it.) Sometimes it feels like someone is sitting on your chest. My cousin who is a doc, says this is because the stomach presses the diaphragm against the heart. Many people with this problem have heartburn, which I do not, but it is a major symptom. So next time you go see your doc, ask about "hiatal hernia." There are several kinds and it might be the cause of your bloating.Ruby

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

I finally received a diagnosis to my bloating last week. The gastro found that my pancreas was not producing enough enzymes to break down fats. This produced gas in my stomach making me bloating and burpy, and also makes the large intestine more susceptible to infection as bad bacteria thrives on non broken down food. I was given a prescription for Creon 20, an enzyme supplement to take before meals. The gastro diagnosed this by having a fecal fat test run (stool sample). He says I should wait about 4 weeks to notice a difference, but I do feela difference already, but I will keep my fingers crossed for more results. If your doctor has not performed a fecal fat test stool sample I recommend it.

#18 Kitty G

Kitty G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

Good luck girl11, I hope you found the answer to your problem. I have had a problem with bloating for 25 years. In the last year it has become very severe, to the point of quitting my job and just trying to stay home and be by myself. I'm so glad I found this support group, I thought I was a freak. I also have GERD and had a lap nissin done to get that under control. While doing that procedure they found a hiatal hernia and repaired that but it didn't do anything for bloating. I try simply not to eat at all but since reading here I think I will try cutting out sugar and white flour and go more with the high protein diet.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rungirl:Wow.I have never found anyone else that has described the same symptoms as myself. I thought I was an oddity. I've been diagnosed with IBS but always thought IBS had to be D or C. I just bloat. I thought I had been misdiagnosed all these years.What a relief to find this forum!I am a "flat belly" morning person who starts to bloat at around 3 o'clock every day. I can easily pass for a 5-6 months pregnant in the afternoon/evening. And I've never know what's wrong with me. I thought I was an oddity.I bought my first bottle of enteric coated peppermint oil today after discovering this forum last night. Although I don't have any advice, I just had to post because I'm optimistic about the support and advice I might find here!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

I thought I was the only one on Earth who had a somewhat slim stomach in the morning and looked pregnant in the afternoon and evening. I've exercised my stomach to death hoping that would help, but it didn't. I'm small, only 115 lbs. and hated my stomach.My doctor has prescribed Zelnorm which helps a lot. It's not perfect but it certainly took away the bloating, pain, and most of the swelling of my stomach. It's still somewhat larger at night than when I first get up in the morning but definitely not as bad.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here