Terrible bloating...and weight gain! - Page 2 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Terrible bloating...and weight gain!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

when you have trouble going to bathroom my drhad me buy Miralax it helps the stomache with bloating and pain to me. good luck hope it helps someone besides me.has anyone tried activia yet? its not bad eitherMiralax is a laxative.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

I have just been diagnosed with IBS today.I had my gallbladder removed just over a year ago and have had awful pains since about 2 months after my operation. Every time i'd go to the doctor i'd be fobbed off with "you're dairy or wheat intolerant" However my pains got so bad I had to go back today. And the bloating is awful...i out weight on one day then when i weigh myself the day after i'm back to normal. Is this normal? I'm actually quite worried by it.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

I finished the Enzymatic Body Cleanse thing and I think it was great. But I do still have some bloating, although it was much much less while I was taking it. So that makes me think I definately have a bacteria problem in my intestines. It's nice that we have to sit here and figure out our own problems because I don't think my doctor seems to care too much. Since I finished the body cleanse I've just been taking fiber at night and I cant stand it. I drink plenty of water. At least 2 Liters while I'm at work and then plenty later on and before bed when I have to take it (that way I can be up all night going to the bathroom...it's so much fun = ) ) and now I'm constipated. I've never had any problems going to the bathroom before with either diarrhea or constipation...bloating was my only problem. Also the fiber made me bloated all the time, so I wasn't even getting my nice skinny time in the morning. So I've stopped that and now I have no idea what to do. I can't get in touch w/my gastro and I'm going crazy.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

A new member just piping up to say that I have exactly the same problem - flat tummy after overnight/many hours of not eating; the minute I start eating, problems start, bloating progresses throughout day, until by evening I look pregnant! I am tall and thin as well, so it's very noticeable. It's so wonderful to hear these anecdotal stories and to know you're not alone and NOT imagining it. My doctors always seem a little dubious that the problem is as extreme as I describe. But my gastro only sees patients in the morning, so it's no wonder! I told her she should make an appointment with me at 6pm, and then she would doubt no more! 8-) Hang in there, everybody.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

Hi All, I'm a new member who was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago. I am so glad I've found this website because I am having all the same symptoms and it is sure hard to get your loved ones to really understand how odd you feel internally with this stuff! My 2 main problems are constipation and bloating. I have found good solutions to both, through my own research because like many of you, my gastro really doesn't care and has a 'just live with it' kind of attitude. For my constipation, I eat 1 bowl of the cereal "Fiber One" every day of the week. It actually tastes good and you only have to eat 1 cup of it to get 114% of the RDA of fiber. I prefer getting my fiber this way because it is fast, more natural (and pleasant to eat!) than powders or pills and does not cause me to bloat like those do. I really know the cereal does its job because on those rare occassions that I skip a day, I don't have a BM that day! With the cereal, I am going 1-2 times a day with no pain or problems. For the bloating, I have been experimenting with foods to see which are the worst offenders. I believe that bread, pasta and rice do make me bloat - the refined white flour issue again. But my best discovery was 3 weeks ago and I'm convinced through daily experiments/testing that I have become lactose-intolerent. (if you read up on lactose intolerence online, you'll see that folks with intestinal disorders or traumas can suddenly develop this too) I have loved milk all of my life, but now if I drink even a small glass of it, I will bloat out within an hour to the fullest extent my poor tummy can stretch. I've eliminated milk now and am only having dairy in very small portions when I really choose to, like sprinkling a little chees on top of a dish and having ice-cream once per week, but avoiding yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Certain dairy doesn't bother me. Soy milk is awesome and has good amounts of calcium, I recommend the Silk brand in the plain or unsweetened cartons. Don't expect it to taste the same as milk-it doesn't, but if you can appreciate it for it's own special taste, you can learn to really enjoy it. It's great with your cereal and even Starbucks can make the majority of their drinks with Soy, so you don't have to give up everything you like! I am convinced it is definitely a dairy issue though, because now I only bloat on those days when I choose to have my ice-cream! I joke with my fiance that I have an 'ice cream baby,' since the tummy is so bloated. It is nice to feel my flat belly again (thanks to regular Pilates workouts!) and be able to wear my favorite pants again! I hope this information might be helpful to some of you? Good luck!! Wendy

#26 UrbanUrbane

UrbanUrbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

I've also experienced terrible bloating, often immediately after eating meals (even a meal consisting only of vegetable broth) but sometimes upon waking. This has been going on for a month. I've had 3 days in the past month where I've woken up with a flat stomach and kept it most of or all of the day. (I'm bloated right now.)I urge all of you, if you haven't already, to do two things which I am in the middle of doing. 1. Get tested for food allergies. I tested positive to navy beans, rice and peanuts (and I'm a vegan, so you can imagine how often I was consuming these foods.) Don't stop with one test. Get the skin test and the blood test; sometimes they have different results. I'm waiting on my blood test now. I have no idea if this is truely the answer to my problems. Since I stopped eating what I'm supposedly allergic to, and its still going on, I doubt it, but I'm going to see this allergy option thru to the end.2. Go to your gynecologist. Bloating (along with weight gain or the inability to lose weight) can be a sign of ovarian cysts/polycystic ovaries. I think most if not all of the posts on this board are women; this is something our gastrointerologist won't usually think to recommend to us. I am patiently waiting for my GYN appointment right now. Good luck to you all and I'm glad I found this post.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

Is the GI panel test from stool and saliva that my Naturopath doc is doing will tell me about all of my food allergies? Or do I need to go to my GI doc for that?Blessings,Abi

#28 UrbanUrbane

UrbanUrbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

I had to go to an allergist to have the tests performed. A good starting place is with your naturopath, however. He/she can tell you for sure.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UrbanUrbane:I had to go to an allergist to have the tests performed. A good starting place is with your naturopath, however. He/she can tell you for sure.
So, I do need to go to an allergist to know for sure? Is that cov

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

I meant to ask you if that's cover by a health insurance? Is an allergist an MD doctor also?Blessings,Abi

#31 UrbanUrbane

UrbanUrbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Yes, Abigail, it should be covered by your insurance; mine was. Its the same as going for your environmental allergy tests, like if you're having hay fever symptoms.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

Thanks again UrbanUrbane,I already made an appt. for next Wed. I will post the results.Blessings,Abi

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

I too always thought that maybe I was mis-diagnosed because I'm neither C nor D, but normal most of the time. I just deal with terrible bloat and pain most days. I am in my 8th week of nonstop bloat/pain (my longest ever). Nothing that normally works is working and I am reaching the end of my rope. I was also diagnosed my adnomyosis (uterine fibroids) in April and was told I could have a partial hysterectomy any time I wanted. I made an appointment with my doc to ask more questions. I go from a size 8 to 14+ in single day and don't even have the energy to play with my 2 young kids. I feel like ####. I am really hoping that this latest 'episode' is female related issues and not IBS. For 8 weeks now I have - massive bloat, lower stomach pain, back pain, tired all the time, heartburn and nausea. For a while I thought I was pregnant but stick didn't turn blue!Hope your day is going better.Mindy

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DramaQueen:I was just diagnosed with IBS last week. I've had terrible bloating for the past year. Same thing...in the morning I wake up extremely skinny and around 2/3 o'clock I start getting bloated to the point where when I get home from work I look 6 months pregnant. I feel like I'm going to need to start buying maternity clothes...which wouldn't be a problem if I was pregnant. The doctor put me on fiber pills but now I seem to be going to the bathroom less (i've never had a problem before) and I'm waking up bloated and just getting more and more bloated as the day goes on. I dont know if fiber takes a while to start working or if I'm just wasting my time and causing myself more pain and trouble. Is the peppermint oil working? Sometimes I drink peppermint tea but it doesn't usually do too much.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DramaQueen:I was just diagnosed with IBS last week. I've had terrible bloating for the past year. Same thing...in the morning I wake up extremely skinny and around 2/3 o'clock I start getting bloated to the point where when I get home from work I look 6 months pregnant. I feel like I'm going to need to start buying maternity clothes...which wouldn't be a problem if I was pregnant. The doctor put me on fiber pills but now I seem to be going to the bathroom less (i've never had a problem before) and I'm waking up bloated and just getting more and more bloated as the day goes on. I dont know if fiber takes a while to start working or if I'm just wasting my time and causing myself more pain and trouble. Is the peppermint oil working? Sometimes I drink peppermint tea but it doesn't usually do too much.
Oops, new at this,Re you taking fiber. Are you drinking more water than you used to prior to taking the fiber form the Dr.? Otherwise, it has opposite effect and will C you without appropriate amount of water consumed.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

DramaQueen- I never could get used to fiber. I started taking citracel and my doctor said any extra bloating would go down in a week or so. Unfortuanatly it never did. At first just my stomach was bloated and then I gained weight everywhere else. It may have been from other causes too but I had been the same weight and had the same eating habits for 3 or 4 years. Now I am taking zelnorm and I'm hoping it works soon because I also get very bloated in the morning and throughout the day.I did find a fiber that works without bloat but I want to see how the zelnorm works before taking it. It came from a health food store and is called Genesis Fiber. The girl who reccomended it to me had IBS and said is really helped her without any bloating. It doesn't taste too great but there is no side effects with it!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

This is the same problem I am having! I'm extremely depressed, not just from the pain but the fact that I feel sooo fat when I eat healthy and exercise almost daily. I'm at my wits end. At least I know I'm not alone

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hi Everyone,I'm new to the site. I also have horrible bloating, especially in the afternoon and evening. People ask me if Im pregnant all the time. It's terrible, especially cause Im thin everywhere else. Anyhoo, I tried a product called Digestive Advantage with has helped a little. You can buy it at Rite Aid or order online. They make an IBS one and a constipation one, and I take both. The constipation one is nice because its just one capsule. My doctor recommended fiber supplements but they seem to make the bloating and pain worse. I just tried the T-Tapp method another user posted, I'll post the results after a few days.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hello all...Im new to this site but souns like Im in the same boat as everyone else. Im OK in the morning and as the day goes on I swell up like a balloon, til i look about 5 months pregnant. I have most every test out there and definitely all medications with no results. When I had a CT scan the tech actually asked if I was "sure" I wasnt pregnant. What Im wondering is if anyone has gone to an ER or an urgent care when the bloating is really bad, just to see if anything shows up. Usually when I go to the Doctor its in the morning and Im not bloated yet, so its hard to make them understand how bad it gets.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

omg....i have been posting about chronic bloating for awhile now...and FINALLY some people who relate!!!i have tried everything: activia, food enzymes, stonyfield yogurt, colon cleanse, zelnorm, amitiza, miralax, food elimination, benefiber...you name it. this is going on since jan.06. i am very thin, but have lost 16 pounds since jan. i now weigh 100 and my gi does not address the weight gain. i have had every test including a ct scan which shows cysts on ovary but transvag ultrasound shows none. go figure. i used to not be bloated at all in the morning but now i am slightly bloated when i wake up and gets worse and worse by night. one thing for those who see doc in the morning, TAKE PICTURES of yourself in the am and in the pm. show them to doc and make him see what you mean. thanks for listening.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here