Terrible bloating...and weight gain! - Page 6 - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Terrible bloating...and weight gain!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi,I am a new member. I am so bloated all of the time. It is very embarrasing at work. I work in very close quarters to others in cubicles. I had a colonoscopy last year and found that I have an extra long intestine. I have an appointment with a GI at long last on Wednesday. Any suggestions on how to help relieve the gas and bloating? I have tried all of the OTC remedies, they don't even begin to touch it.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

Thats interesting about the long intestine. When I had the test they said mine is extra twisty so stuff gets trapped and makes the bloating worse. Let us know if your new GI comes up with a solution. I know what you mean about the cubicle situation. I work in an office right next to people too...no fun at all when you can see people looking at your tummy.

#103 23cal

23cal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:15 AM

Any updates on this thread/post? I've been experiencing the many of the same issues others have, namely:

• Distention and Bloating - I've gained 30 lbs and have a bloated stomach. It's even worse when I eat as it swells up quite a lot.
  • Constipation - I experience extreme constipation. Lots of flatulence and gas too.
  • Reduced appetite - I can only eat about 50% of what I used to. This plus the weight gain make me tired very often

I've had these issues for a while but recently it's gotten worse. I've been to the GI Doctor who's done a CT Scan, Endoscopy, Colonscopy, and Ultrasound (for ascites) along with the standard tests (blood, urine, etc), but they've found nothing. I took Amitiza, Linzess, and Psyllium husk, which all worked fine at first but stopped working after a few weeks. Other medications/aids have had mixed results.

Has anyone been able to find something that works, could point me to other posts/threads on the same topic, and/or give me any advice? At this point, anything helps.

#104 jeffinnh

jeffinnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

Did your GI doctor consider Xifaxan + Diflucan? 

Any luck with low-FODMAP or SCD ?

#105 23cal

23cal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:35 AM

Everyone, I wanted to update you on my situation. I've been almost fully cured and it feels great.

I continued to see different doctors hoping one of them may know what's going on and eventually one of them did. I was suffering from something called Dysbiosis (see links). Similar to SIBO, it involves gut bacteria. However Dybiosis is more about an imbalance of good/bad bacteria in the gut vs SIBO which is about bacteria getting up into the small intestine.

For my case, my doctor first prescribed rifaximin along with some probiotics. The rifaximin cured the constipation but unfortunately was not able to cure any other symptoms (e.g. stomach distension, weight gain, etc.). The doctor then suggested I get an FMT (Fecal Matter Transplant). 

I told my boss that I may have to take some time off for my medical treatment. He suggested I talk to his wife who is a nutritionist and knowledgeable about gut health. The wife put me on a sugar-free diet (eating mostly meats and vegetables) along with some supplements to that help in aiding digestion and making up for the nutrients I was no longer getting because of the higher-sugar food I was cutting out of my diet (e.g. fruits). 

I started noticing differences in the first week and by week two, I had felt better than I had in years. The weight started coming off too and my appetite came back. Within one-month, I was pretty much cured. I'm close to 100% normal with no side effects (i.e. I can do all the things I used do with no issues).

If any one is continuing to have issues, please ask your doctor about Dysbiosis. For the record, I think any of the treatments: rifaximin/probiotics, FMT, and sugar-free diet can work. It'll just depend on your personal circumstances. Please send me a private message or reply to this post if you want to know more. I'm happy to help. No one should have to live like this. 

PS: happy to show to pics of me too. You can see the before and after. I lost close to 25 lbs.  

https://www.dominick...se-weight-gain/

https://www.verywell...sbiosis-1945045

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here