trimethylaminuria - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

trimethylaminuria

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

Advertisement
Hello everyone! I have been researching alot lately & I REALLY urge everyone with LG to study up on trimethylaminuria (tmau) syndrome. It is the only disease known to man that the primary symptom is foul body odor. What it is is a genetic disease of the liver in which the it cannot process certain foods (mainly protein) so it is then turned into trimethaline, in normal people trimethaline would not have an odor but us lucky ones with this disorder, depending on your diet, it smells like rancid meat, fecal, fishy, or garbage odor that comes out in your sweat and bodily secretions. It is considered a rare disease, but I dont think it is as rare as they think dr's in the United Kingdom are now taking urine samples from newborn babies to see if they have this disease. I wouldnt waste another minute on this web page.....go ahead & google trimethylminuria or tmau for short it will be worth your time to read about it.

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

https://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...05472#869105472I posted the dietary info and testing lab info in this thread that I got from one of the organizations for people with TMAU.I think it could be an answer for some people. I appologize in advance for the posts where there is some frustration about the topic of TMAU on that thread.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Hey kath! thanks for the info. I know alot of people with LG are skeptical of tmau being a possibility, I was too until I started reading alot about it. There is no cure for tmau & that is very disheartening. I would go to the end of the universe to find out what is wrong with me and I am open to any ideas or suggestions - even the possibility of having tmau. Do you know how to go about getting tested? Most dr's dont even realize this conditons exists! I dont think there are any geneologists (spelling) in Tennessee.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

I think on that thread there should be the info about getting teste (top of page two I think).You might have to give the list of labs to the doctor, but it is a urine test so basically once you have a lab that will test it, and you know when to send it (they are sometimes backlogged so you might need to arrange when the time is for the sample to be collected, I don't know how fresh it needs to be) they just take the urine and measure the compounds they need.Diet can help since choline is the problems. You still need choline so you can't take all of it out of the diet, but they have recommendations about how much choline to eat at a time. Everyone absorbs a little bit of it, and the stuff you use isn't the problem, it is when you have more than you can use at one time. The thread I posted has the general diet info as well.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

Do you think that there is a possibilty that, if indeed it is a faecal BO rather than LG, the cause could be trapped gas or C resulting in an odour seeping through the pores of the skin? I can't recall if this theory has been raised before.

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

There doesn't have to be any gas trapped anywhere for TMAU.I don't know some odors can get out of the body through skin and breath (like garlic) but that doesn't require any special trapping either.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#7 MSHS

MSHS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:35 AM

There are 2 types of TMAU : TMAU1 is genetic deficiency, and TMAU2 is TMA overload. 

Someone with TMAU1, the genetic disorder, has a deficiency in the FMO3 enzyme which oxidizes the odor causing TMA to non-odorous TMA-oxide.  

Someone with TMAU2, or TMA overload, is generating too much TMA by their gut flora.

TMA (Trimethylamine) is an organic compound that has a strong "fishy" odor in low concentrations and an ammonia-like odor at higher concentrations.  Regardless of the pathway utilized, TMA overload is a nitrogenous waste by-product of the deficiency of the FMO3 enzymes or other gut microbiome dysbiosis.  

Certain strains of probiotics can metabolize and use the nitrogenous waste buildup as nutrients.  This process helps to eliminate the source of the odor.   These probiotic microbial strains of beneficial bacteria include:  S.thermophilus(KB19), L.acidophilus (KB27) and B.longum (KB31).

The mechanism of these beneficial bacteria work by regulating build up of the odorous nitrogenous waste.  The nitrogenous waste fed probiotic microbes, are then eliminated from the body by normal excretion. 

Here is a brand of Probiotic Enzymes which include the beneficial strains of S.thermophilus(KB19), L.acidophilus (KB27) and B.longum (KB31).  Anecdotal evidence has shown a reduction in odor and improvement in skin complexion. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here