What question(s) would you like to ask your doctor? - Page 4 - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What question(s) would you like to ask your doctor?

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#61 Naomi889

Naomi889

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, I'd like to ask "Why are you such total C-U-next-Tuesdays when dealing with chronic IBS sufferers? Have you lost all compassion? How would you feel if you were in their situation? How distressed do you think a highly intelligent person feels after not only merely failing to find treatment for their problem, but failing even to be believed by you the doctor? Burn in h*ll, docs!

#62 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23983 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

FYIYou and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tangohttp://www.healingwe.../...lvucci&id=5At IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to talk to some of the international experts in functional GI disorders. Our discussions covered some of the most recent developments in this field. Click the topic titles below to go to the video interviews!"IFFGD develops professional symposia aimed at promoting education and awareness among multiple disciplines that treat gastrointestinal disorders and incontinence. The the International Symposia on Functional GI Disoders were the first international meetings designed to communicate on a biennial basis new knowledge in the field of functional GI disorders. They have been described as "an educational jewel," attracting hundreds of scientists and health care professionals from around the world."New State of the art IBS videos from the IFFGD 7th Symposium.Dr Quigley is Professor of Medicine and Human Physiology at University College, Cork (National University of Ireland), and was the first Head of the Medical School from 2000-2007. He studies Functional Bowel Disease, with emphasis on the role of the gut flora and lumen-mucosal interactions in irritable bowel syndrome. Is there a role for probiotics in the treatment of IBS? ►Are there issues of safety and effectiveness with probiotics? ►How can probiotics work in treating IBS? ►Is there a role for antibiotics in treating IBS? Dr Walker is a behavioral scientist, clinician, and educator. She is Director of the Division of Adolescent Medicine, Professor of Pediatrics, and Professor of Psychology, at Vanderbilt University. Her research focuses on children’s chronic pain syndromes, and adjustment in families of children with chronic illness or disability.Recurrent abdominal pain in children and adolescents ►Advancing the treatment model in pediatric patientsDr Mayer holds the positions of Professor of the Departments of Medicine, Physiology, Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences, at the David Geffen School of Medicine in UCLA; and is also Director of the UCLA Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's Health. Dr. Mayer has a longstanding interest in clinical and neurobiology aspects of brain-gut interactions in health and disease.Research Advances: Understanding Functional Disorders ►Research Advances: Treatment Approaches Dr Drossman is a Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry at the UNC School of Medicine (Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology), and Co-Director at the UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders. He has had a long-standing interest in the psychosocial/behavioral aspects of patient care, particularly as it relates to improving patient-doctor communication. Diagnostic advances: Symptoms and the roles of biological markers ►Treatment status ►Visualizing and validating functional GI disordersDr Mawe is a Professor in the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology at the University of Vermont. His research interests include neural regulation of the digestive tract, particularly understanding changes in enteric neural circuits that contribute to altered gut function in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Diagnostic advances: Multiple factors and identifying biomarkers ►Serotonin ►InflammationDr. Lin Chang is a Professor of Medicine at UCLA, Co-Director and Head of the Clinical Program at the Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's Health; and Director of the Women's Digestive Health Center at UCLA. Dr. Chang's main area of research is the pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with particular interests in the overlap of IBS with fibromyalgia, as well as gender differences and neuroendocrine alterations.Treatment approach: Finding accurate information and care ►Research advances: How brain-gut interactions influence symptomsDr. Spiegel is the Director of the UCLA/VA Center for Outcomes Research and Education, and is particularly interested in the role of the physician-patient relationship in IBS. He has published extensively in the field of digestive diseases health economics and health related quality of life. Dr. Spiegel was recipient of the 2007 IFFGD Research Award in Clinical Science, Junior Investigator.Challenges: Making the diagnosis ►Understanding the Functional GI Disorders ►Appreciating the Burden of Illnesshttp://www.aboutibs....r/video-corner/Working with Your Physician Effective communication – the physician-patient relationship – is an important part of effective long-term management of a functional GI disorder like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The patient interview by the health care provider is the most frequently practiced procedure, accounting for about 150,000 interviews in a clinician’s lifetime. However, the average visit is now too brief, and this has led to the decline of the humanistic approach to patient care. You can help by taking an active role in your doctor visit.We encourage you to be proactive in your own health maintenance. Make the most out of your doctor visit – be prepared.http://www.aboutibs....-your-physicianDoctor Visit WorksheetWhen you visit your doctor you will want to know what is wrong, what the physician can do to treat it, and what you can do to better manage it. Your physician will begin by taking a history asking for a description of the symptoms as well as possible factors that can bring them on or make them better. This will be followed by a physical examination, possibly diagnostic tests, a diagnosis, and a discussion of treatment options.Symptoms of IBS, though chronic or recurrent, can vary in duration, intensity, and description. Management of symptoms often is not easy and requires individual participation while working with a physician or healthcare provider. Don't be afraid to ask questions; write them down before your appointment. As a patient with IBS, you should never feel devalued, ignored, or uncomfortable with your doctor. If you do, or if your concerns are not being met, it is time to change to another physician. Your goal is to obtain a diagnosis, understand IBS and your symptoms, and develop a management or treatment plan designed to meet your individual needs.The course of IBS is highly individualized and can be challenging to even the most knowledgeable and caring physician. Be organized when you visit your doctor. Here are some things you can do to help make your physician visit most effective.http://www.aboutibs....visit-worksheet
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

hi all, just a quickie, how many of you have had your gallbladder out? i developed I.BS almost immediately after having mine out. well, it seems so, i have to wait until jan and i get to have an upper g.i and lower bowel scope..will this confirm anything?

#64 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23983 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

FYIThere is no specific test for IBS. The gi doctor will be able to diagnose you with IBS or not. There is a specific cluster of symptoms that are associated with IBS.However"Question: I'm not sure if what I have is IBS. Since I had my gallbladder taken out in 1980, I haven't been able to eat anything without the pain of gas, bloating, and diarrhea. It could be a cracker or a steak dinner before I finish or as soon as I finish the symptoms begin. Answer: There is a condition that occurs after the removal of the gallbladder that causes diarrhea. But the kind of symptoms described here sounds like true IBS. It may be that those symptoms occurred prior to having the gallbladder removed and were previously associated with that. IBS may have preceded that procedure and is now continuing to cause abdominal symptoms after the removal. -- Ray E. Clouse, MD, professor of medicine and psychiatry in the division of gastroenterology at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. http://www.webmd.com...le/65/79521.htmHaving your gb taken out can cause symptoms, but that is a different condition then IBS.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:23 PM

thanks! :(

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

I have had IBS for ten years now and nothing like this has ever happened. Well... Saturday I went to my sisters and had a leafy green salad and last night I had just maybe 4 or 5 bites of a broccoli casserole. and now this morning (not to be graghic) I had hot burning green bowel movement. I also finished my last dose of a 5 day ZPACK antibiotic for an ear infection on Satruday and stopped taking the tablet with live bactria for the diareaha (SP?) on saturday for the side effect of the med. But I only took that two days. Could the green colored stool be from the broccoli last night??

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

hello,i'm a 16 year old female which is extremly nervous and scared what to do. I think all my symptoms relate to IBS.. i really need to know if i should get help. I'm not one for explaining about my problems but i'm really scared and don't know what to do.My symptoms are:- Extremly awful abdominal cramps/ pains- Bloating- PAINFUL Constipation.. takes about 15 mintues just to go to the washroom - Gas- Dizzness (randomly)- Short energy levels (i nap for about 7-9 hours after school)- Barely eating anything and becoming full (eg. a half a glass of water, half a slice of pizza.. one of those are just fulling. I could only eat one meal)- Votmiting ( I don't understand because i have nothing in me)- Heat/ Cold flashes- menstrual cycle ( randomly.. i get every 3 months but i got it a lil after this pain and the pains still there when its over.)- Random Rashes on my legs and arms- Asthma is about 10 times wrose- Nausea all the time.. anytime of the day - Groin pain, especially when i urinate.. towards the end.. i feel like a bunch of knives are stabbing me and it's putting me into tears!- Urinating every 8-10 mintues within' every hour and a half. When i feel like i have to go.. I NEED TO GO within' a mintues which is weird.- Stressedd- Headaches, Colds, Palness, etc..- Coffee isn't helping me at all, coffee just puts me straight to sleep!!- Gaining weight randomly..- Unusual Heart Pains i ignore- I don't understand how i have enough engery to do all my activites; i do dance, gym, hockey, ball hockey, basketball, volleyball, running, and working out... I don't understand how i have engery and always gives 110%!?. - BUT i can't get my head to make sure i do my homework and everything done.. it doesn't seem like i have enough time.. with work, school, sports, Students Council.. ahhh!?I need your help!.. PLEASEEE!.. should i go see a doctor or tell someone even though i'm really nervous and scared too!.. HELP ME .. and let me know ASAP!!!.. And does this seem like IBS?..anyways.. thanks again!!!! :(

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi oreo3218 It sure sounds like you have IBS, better see a Dr. Try and find a good woman Dr. Also if you can, get this book "The Yeast Syndrome" by John Parks Trowbridge,MD. and Morton Walker, D.P.M. I think this book explains allot about what we all are going through. Also you might get a better response to your post if you placed it in one of the other forums. This forum is for questions to ask your Dr. Like: Dear Dr. are you now our have you ever been sued for malpractice? sp Did you finish last in the class or last in school? Were you pushed through the system? Was being a Dr about money or are you generally trying to help people? Do you feel other Drs should be held accountable when they make mistakes, have their license revoked, maybe spend some quality time in a cell with a guy named Ben Dover? I know I'm getting carried away here and Dr are only human, but these are questions I think we should all consider. What is his/her track record? There should be an internet referral service with people offering up their opinions. They have this for teachers, how about "rate your Dr"? :(

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

hey Johnny D. and C.,Thanks for telling me that. Ahh i don't know if i could actually just randomly tell anyone to bring me! I get tooo nervous too! i hate going to the doctors. What would the doctors even do for me? Give me like stuff for my pain?.. ahh.. I don't want to screw any doctors/ teachers over. That teacher really understands what people go threw because she just got outta the hositpal like being inn there for about 4 months for her CF. And shes helped me because i've had an eating disorder which probably contruibed to IBS pretty well. I had it for about 4-5 years.. i'm slowly getting better and i went threw counciling. My mom didn't even know because i wasn't letting anyone inn what was going on. I really don't wanna exclude anyone again. So i'm think i should tell someone around here but it's just not in me ! :(Which i don't think i'm going to get any better because now i'm barely eating anymore again and i'm getting really sick so?..Ohh, what place did you want me to write into??..anyways.. THANKS for everything.. :)

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

Sorry oreo3218, I said forum when I should have said thread. This thread is for questions you would like to ask your Dr during your visit with him/her. Read the first post in this thread. I think if you posted further down the page more people would see your post and you would get more solutions. Anyway until you see a Dr you could try odorless garlic pills, and also make yourself ginger tea it alleviates pain. Take a small piece of ginger root, peel the skin off, cut into small pieces, blend it with a cup of water in blender, nuke it for two minutes. Tastes like strong ginger ale. Stops gas and pain. But you need to see a Dr for a breath test for H-pylori, which could be the cause of the vomiting. Hope this helps. :(

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

hey Johnny D. and C.,thanks for everything! :( I'll try sound ginger tea and thoses garlic pills.. I'll leave another post in a different form i suppose! and see if people will reply!.. i'll let yeh know whats going on with everything, alright!..I haven't had anytime to tell anyone about it or go to the doctors or anything because i'm sooo busy with school and work.. and i barely even have time for my self... thats pretty much lifee right there!!.. anyways thankss! :)

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Glad to help! Also like to add, take lots of "Activia" yogurt from Danone. I found it was very helpful, but you have to take lots of it, for weeks. Don't eat regular cow milk yogurts it caused me to have SIBO overgrowth of bacteria in the small bowel and it's also mucus forming in the bowels and makes it very hard for people with constipation type IBS to pass stools or gas. I was almost over this disease everything back to normal! But I got a chest infection and had to take antibiotics and now I'm back to square one, all symptoms are back. So oreo3218 you can beat this! Good luck! :(

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Forgot to say sugarless Activia or goat's milk yogurt. The sugar will cause gas.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

hey Johnny D. and C.,yeh, do i really have to eat yogurt?..:S.. or drink milk or anything... i'm a super pickyy person with my foods! congrads for getting better!!! :) I'm excited for you!.. thanks for all your answers!! :)--- another question...how do i tell someone i need to go to the doctors.. its super akwardd! :S'ahhh.. i'm just totally stressed out with everything.. but i'm really happy i got you to help me and give me awesome tips! :D..THANKSS!! :)

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hi again oreo3218 Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was basically over the IBS, but after taking antibiotics for a chest infection, I'm back to the IBS hell! And I know I've got a long way to get cured again. I'll keep you posted if I have a breakthrough. In answer to your question "how do i tell someone i need to go to the doctors.. its super awkward!" , I really don't know what to suggest. You shouldn't feel awkward, you've done nothing wrong! Talk with your mom, get her to take you to the Dr's or go to a walk in clinic. And if you have any more questions post them on another part of this forum, so others can see them and respond to you! Good luck :(

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hey Johnny D. and C.,Thanks for all your help! Well i've told 3 people and i'm pretty sure i had the biggest butterflies of life when i told them and my eyes were all glosssyy!*.. i have another question; okay.. for your chest infection.. how did it feel?.. did it feel liek your had sharp pains super hard?.. That's what mines doing .. and it kills like a bitchh!!*.. But i'm having super bad pains like more often when i do things, like from my chest down. I don't understand when i told one of my best friends, i could have IBS.. he was like.. well thats kinda gross.. but i'm sorry to here that.. if you need anything i'm always here hun, i got your back whenever you need it covered.. So i was happy he understood.. anyways.. i need to just go and rest... i'm in too much pain to me laying like this.. i need to try and sleep! !.. THANKSS AGAIN!! :)------>Air!! :)

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:26 PM

Oreo please read this post. If you are interested, you can get Udo's Choice Infant Blend probiotics from your local health food store, it sells for approx. $30 Good Luck! :( http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=92556

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

help i was told by my doctor 6 years ago that i had ibs(i'am not comfortable with this diagnosis as i have many more symptoms that do not fit in with ibs)i had all the testing done and the only thing the doctor found wrong with me was severe acid reflex.i woke up two nights ago with a huge painful knot on the right side of my neck.(it is very easy to see the knot its huge). as i was searching for information about the knot on my neck i ran into a site that listed all of my real symptons with the exception of the awful headaches i have all day every day.so here is the info listed on the site and i have these symptoms.could hypothyroidism be mis diagnosied as ibs??does anyone else with ibs have very,very painful periods and bleeding so severe for the first 4 days that you can't even move without soaking through a tampon and a pad every 5 minutes.i know its nasty but i have huge clots of blood with my period. someone please help me i feel like i'am going crazy and i dread my periods.(they last 7 days)! my body also gets so cold when sleeping that even on a hot summer night i have to have a blanket,and i have heart pains from a Potassium deficiency.SymptomsSymptoms of hypothyroidism usually appear slowly over months or years. Symptoms and signs may include:Coarse and thinning hair. Dry skin. Brittle nails. A yellowish tint to the skin. Slow body movements. Cold skin. Inability to tolerate cold. Feeling tired, sluggish, or weak. Memory problems, depression, or difficulty concentrating. Constipation. Heavy or irregular menstrual periods that may last longer than 5 to 7 days. Other, less common symptoms may include:An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter). Modest weight gain, often 10 lb or less. Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet, and facial puffiness, particularly around the eyes. Hoarseness. Muscle aches and cramps. In general, how bad your symptoms are depends on your age, how long you have had hypothyroidism, and the seriousness of the condition. The symptoms may be so mild and happen so slowly that they go unnoticed for years. The older you are, the more likely you are to notice symptoms. if anyone can help me with some information that would be great. the doctors in the town i live in are awful and almost never right. i tryed getting a second opinion but that doctor just agreed with the doctor that diagnoised me with ibs.

#79 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

pepgirlI would post your question over on the Thyroid board on our sister board http://www.mediboard...hp?showforum=14The people there know much more about thyroid conditions than most of the people here.You can have both hypothyroism and IBS.You can also have female reproductive problems and IBS. Your period issues sound like me when I had fibroids. IBS is very common, so having other problems is pretty common as well.You may want to see an endocrinologist or OB GYN in addition to the GI doctor that said you had IBS. The GI doctors usually only look at the GI symptoms and leave diagnosing the problems in other systems to doctors who look at those things.If you want a more responses to your post I could move it out into the General Discussion so it isn't in stuck in the what should I ask my doctor thread.HTHK.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

I just wanted to ad more questions to this topic. If you have already done test, such as, a barium enima and the tube going down your throat and the result is ibs. Does this mean u have ibs indefinitely and there is no other possible alternative that it could be? Hoping for a solution!Monica

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here