LINDA's Calcium Info - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

#1 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

Advertisement
Linda - This is for those who keep asking about the calcium, I have brought up your original post - if there is anything you want to update or change, then just post this entry and cut and paste it into the reply, and I will remove this section - I am going give this topic link to those who inquire. If you want to make a new thread yourself - please feel free and I can delete this one - I am wondering, since we have so many inquiries about the calcium - would you or the folks here like me to make this a featured thread at the top? Just let me know! ~ Marilyn Posted Image===========================================This is what has helped me for more than 7 years (since 1998) with almost daily attacks of urgent DIARRHEA. Calcium is known to be constipating so if you are that IBS type do not take it. Here is the what and how to take the calcium information if you suffer from DIARRHEACalcium is an OTC supplement we all do not usually get enough of. No Rx needed to purchase this.When you take calcium about 40% of the dose gets to the bones the rest is eliminated in our waste. The calcium goes to the intestines and soaks up excess fluids and binds them together and they are gotten rid of in our waste.This is a process that can be continued by taking the calcium carbonate on a regular basis thus giving a more formed BM.There is calcium carbonate which helps us with DIARRHEA and there is calcium citrate which is more easily absorbed by the body and gets to the bones.A lot of the calcium supplements contain a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. Magnesium is not helpful for us with DIARRHEA only causing more in most cases. So do not purchase this combination. It will only make things worse.The dose to take is different for everyone. I must take 3 a day one at each meal and it does not make a difference if I take it before during or after just take it regularly.The most success has come for using any formula of calcium supplement that is like Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals in the purple and white box. I hope this will help anyone wishing to try it and I am always here to answer any questions for you. I have a lot of feed back form many users.There are other things to consider. If you take any other meds check the side effects and also check with the pharmacist to see it taking calcium will interfere with you other medications and how you might take them.The only side effect is at the beginning of taking the calcium you may have some gas or indigestion but this usually goes away soon after taking a regular dose for a few days as your body adjusts to the added calcium.Starting with 1/2 tablet doses with each meal will lessen this problem and it may be enough to control the DIARRHEA attacks without making you constipated. Constipation can be a problem so be careful not to take too much.I had my gall bladder removed in 1976 and from that time on I had suffered urgent attacks of DIARRHEA. Went through a lot of test but nothing else could be found.I took many of the meds for bowel spasms and cramps over the years but nothing ever seemed to help. I started to take a calcium supplement to help prevent bone loss in later years and from the first day I felt relief. I was pretty much a prisoner to the bathroom or had to go without eating to be able to leave the house.I must take 1 tablet with each meal and the DIARRHEA does not come back if I miss taking it I get DIARRHEA.The way it works is the calcium carbonate it a binder and when you take it only about 40% of the calcium gets to the bones and the rest is gotten rid of in our waste. During the process it gets to the intestines and soaks up excess bile and water and helps give a more solid BM. Now that you have no gall bladder the bile fluid goes directly into the intestines and causes irritation and DIARRHEA. The calcium carbonate soaks this up and no more DIARRHEA. It works great for a lot of us and you just have to take the calcium regularly and do not miss. I started with Caltrate 600 Plus with vitamin d and minerals and it does seem to make a difference in the ingredients of calcium... This one seems to do the best job for most. You can buy other store brands of calcium with the same ingredients that work just as well but they need to have the same ingredients. I get Member's Mark Brand from Sam's Club you get 300 tablets for 8.99.Let me know if you need more help.You won't be sorry if you try it. I suggest starting with 1/2 tablet with each meal at first this may be enough to control the diarrhea if not in a few days up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. The side effect is constipation so if you feel it coming on just cut the dose.It is important to use a calcium that is as much alike as the Caltrate brand. Let me list the ingredients:Vitamin D 200 IUCalcium 500 or 600 MG ( This should be calcium carbonate form)Magnesium 40 MG (No more than this amount because magnesium will cause you to have DIARRHEA but because calcium is constipating the magnesium helps to counter act that effect)Zinc 7.5 MGCopper 1 MGManganese 1.8 MGBoron 250 MCG.There are other brands with the same ingredients so get something as close as you can. Then start with 1/2 tablet with each meal and in a few days if this is not enough to control your DIARRHEA then up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. If you feel you are becoming constipated the cut back on the dose. It has been working since the first day I started taking it July 1998 and as long as I take 3 a day (this is the amount I must take it may be different for you) I remain DIARRHEA free. No cramps, bloating or DIARRHEA.The dose you take with each meal is not the dose that is helping you at that meal it is the prior ones that have time to works their way through you system to soak up excess bile and water in the intestines.It also works for those of you who still have the gall bladder.It is worth a try.Take Care,Linda edited to change years of success!!Posted Image===============================
  • Jayne.F, mk_ruah, cckw and 8 others like this

#2 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

Marilyn,The only thing you need to change is it has been 7 years now of success and I try to pass the info along whenever someone puts their email address in their profile but a lot of people don't so I do think it would be a good idea to keep this in the forefront after all this time I still get lots of emails with questions and I do answer all of them quickly.Thanks for the interest in keeping this information going.You can always tell people to email me if they like I am happy to help if I can so if you want to post my email address please feel free to do so.Linda
  • vinod123 and rayan17 like this
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

Hi, I am new here. I have have IBS,D. Since I was a little girl, over 30 years now (ouch that age thing hurts) Gallblader out 21 years ago.I have started taking the Caltrate 600 Plus. What a major difference, my life has turned around. I can't thank you enough. I was wondering if this is hereditary? My Dad has IBS, and 4 out of my 7 children have it.Thank you again, you saved my life, also my children. We are all taking it. Posted ImageJeanne

#4 kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1359 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:38 PM

HI Linda and MArylyn, I forgot to ask but do I still take citrucel with the calcium?Thanks
IBS-D for way to long

How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye
and now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance,I could of missed the pain,
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Kat

#5 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

kitkay17,Whether you take both is your prefference. I always had trouble with the fiber making me cramp and being bloated and could not seem to get that worked out. The fiber alone can do the trick if you time it right and get the right amount and take it daily. It is better to take only what you need to get control of the diarrhea. Everything has side effect and the side effect of calcium carbonate is constipation so too much can be bad. So play with the dose to see what helps and stick with it.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

#6 kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1359 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Yes fiber makes me bloat and gives me indegestion too, but if it helps my D I will deal with other side affects right now.Thanks
  • Betty Wilson likes this
IBS-D for way to long

How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye
and now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance,I could of missed the pain,
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Kat

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kitkat17:Yes fiber makes me bloat and gives me indegestion too, but if it helps my D I will deal with other side affects right now.Thanks

#8 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:12 AM

Hi All,I am leaving today for a long weekend in TN. I will be back Sunday so if anyone is looking for calcium help email me and I will answer them soon.I hope anyone who had tried the calcium will post their success so other may give it a try. And if you are not successful I am always glad to offer any help I can with all the feedback I get from others and my own success.Linda
  • seljo and aliwanderlust like this

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

I have suffered with IBS-D for over twenty years. The only thing that seemed to help was Lotronex. Now I have been taking only calcium for about a month and I am very happy with the early results. I have not had an accident since I started and I have more time to get to a restroom without having to run. I am thinking about trying to eat some of my taboo foods, but will probably wait a while longer. I am very glad for Linda's calcium advice. Keep up the good work! Have been taking calcium for almost a year now and am very happy with results. Can now eat out and have about any thing I want in moderation with no ill effects. Thanks!!!!!!!!!Linda!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

I have been taking the calcium carbonate for almost 2 weeks now. I started while in the middle of 3 weeks of daily attacks (severe) and now....no problems! So far, so good for me! Posted Image

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

Hi Linda, My name is Terri. I just stumbled upon your website. I have been suffering for so many years w/IBS and D. 2 years ago I had my gall bladder out and i cant believe it has gotten so much worse. I could just cry sometimes, its so upsetting. I am going to try the calcuim you recommend and I am hoping it works. Thanks , Terri

#12 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

Terri,I am glad you are going to try the calcium. Be sure to follow this instructions as close as you can and do start with 1/2 tablet instead of a full tablet for the first 3 days to let your body adjust to the calcium so the indigestion and gas is not bad. Be consistent and take it daily with your food. Please feel free to email me if things do not go well and you need some more assistance. If you are on other meds be sure to check to see if it is okay to take the calcium with them or you may have to time it at a different time than the other meds. I think you will be surprised as to how fast and how well this can work. Let us know the results.Linda

[email protected]

#13 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

terry31950,Thanks for letting us know the calcium is helping you.meepcat,I wanted to check to see if you are still doing well with the calcium or if I can assist you.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hey everyone,This is my first post.I'm thinking I have IBS, although it's undiagnosed. For most of my life, I have suffered from a "nervous stomach", with D-attacks brought on by stress and regular, sudden urges to "go" throughout the day (I can easily tell you where the bathrooms are located in most stores and restaurants in the area) I didn't think too much of all this (thinking it was "normal" for me, but roughly 6 weeks ago, I was hit with D throughout the day, and it hasn't gone away since. I assumed that it was brought on by stress (At the time, I was finishing a particularly challenging course in my Master's program, I was interviewing for jobs, my Mother was flying in to visit to see my new home, and my spouse was given orders to deploy to Iraq....no wonder I had diarrhea!)Well, it hasn't gone away since...not a single day with a normal bowel movement. I was beginning to think I had a parasite or something, but then someone suggested IBS. So, since I am still 3 weeks away from my new health insurance kicking in, I am looking for ways to manage my diarrhea (worst in the morning, and sometimes I have it after lunch, too). I stumbled upon this calcium thread and it was just the type of thing I was looking for. It just so happens that I already had the Caltrate 600+D on the shelf, and I just took my first dose a few minutes ago. I really hope it helps.I know this is kind of rambling and i don't want to clutter the thread, but I wanted to mention my situation, see if it sounds familiar, and also to ask how long it takes to see an improvement with the Calcium (if there is one).Thanks for a great forum and thanks in advance for any advice, or insight, anyone can give.PS--I am a 27yo female in otherwise stellar health and with a pristine medical past.

#15 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

PlanB,I hope you started with 1/2 tablet at each meal for the first 3 days so you can adjust to taking the calcium. You may experience gas and indigestion and you must take it with food also. After 3 days of this you then can adjust the amount and timing to make it work better for you. I am here to help if you need it and email me if you like.Linda
  • pattygirl likes this

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

thank you. I will try it. I will try anything to help this curse...thanks so much.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm new to this site and have been experiencing symptoms of IBS-D for a while now. I will give this calcium a shot. I hope it helps. *crosses fingers*

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

hi ihave been following linda's info 1/2 caltrate 3 times a day but still have bad diarreah took 1/2 immodium twice to calm it down . this has been a really bad episode. been off and on for 4 years ,returning after a 20 year break. anyone have a suggestion?

#19 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

suzi,I will help if I can. Do you take any other meds and that means vitamins and other over the counter things. If you take vitamins stop them for now. Vitamin A C E and magnesium in them cause diarrhea. If you take things like maalox it contains magnesium and this too can cause diarrhea. Are you taking the calcium with food and at least 4 or 5 hours apart. Remember you are on the starting dose so you may need to work up to a full 3 tablets a day for control. Have you been having any indigestion or gas since you began. Remember too your system is most likely irritated inside and needs some time to heal. Hang in with me and don't give us just yet.Email me if you like.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

hi , thanks for your prompt reply. I sent you three emails yesterday and they were all returned mailer-daemon. so now i am trying to post as well as e-mail. I still have gall bladder, but do have bad gas andslight indigestion since the calcium. yesterday had another diarreha attack ,am now up to 2 caltrate600's, is it ok to take 1 immodium ,otherwise i can not stop the D. ?my stomach is still sore from all the trips to potty in the last 4 years, particularly awful the last 2 weeks. any suggestions? my e- mail is swagner358###aol.com.Suzi

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here