LINDA's Calcium Info - Page 118 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

#2341 TarunSareen

TarunSareen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:24 AM

GramX3, thank you for responding.
I have consulted several gastroenterologists and numerous tests has been done (even capsule endoscopy), nothing came out - all negative.
Didnt receive any help.

#2342 beechcott

beechcott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Has anyone here tried using Tums instead of Caltrate? If so, what were the results?

#2343 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:03 AM

Hello everyone.

I've been trying the calcium solution for two days now (half a caltrate tablet, twice a day) and it seems to work for me.

I've read about calcification and it's dangers and I wonder if it's safe to receive this amount of calcium in our body on a daily basis.

Has anyone who's been trying this for a long time (> 3-4 months) had any blood tests to measure the calcium levels ?

Do you minimize the calcium amount received from foods(i.e. cheese, milk, kefir, etc), so that the levels remain within allowed limits ? 

#2344 beechcott

beechcott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:26 AM

I don't know where else to post this, as this is the only thread that I know of where someone might have some information that might help me.

I have been taking calcium carbonate pills with every meal for months now, based on the advice in this thread. This seems to have mostly cleared up my chronic diarrhea, but I still have a problem.

You see, my chronic diarrhea problem started in a relatively mild way when I had a surgery (not intestinal or digestive-related) several years ago. I think it was the antibiotics. Certain probiotics seemed to help. But it was about a year ago now that my diarrhea got even worse. It was then that I made one of the worst mistakes of my life: I started taking Imodium every day. It worked for a while, but the diarrhea eventually came back even with the Imodium, and it now took forever to come out, and then only with lots of straining. It's a weird experience; like having diarrhea and beign constipated all at once. After being stuck on the toilet for hours a day became a regular occurrence, I went to the emergency room, where they informed me that Imodium is incredibly unhealthy to take for long periods of time. They put me on the BRAT diet, which helped somewhat, but not as much as would be ideal. I later went to a cheap clinic (I have very little money), and gave a stool sample to be tested. It came back negative for any problems (bacteria, parasites, etc).

Then I happened across Internet information about bile acid malabsorption, and found that it seemed to fit my symptoms. I then discovered this thread. So I bought some Calcium+D pills and tried them. The first day, it seemed like a miracle. I was able to leave my BRAT diet, and I was actually having formed stools for the first time in ages. But alas, my euphoria was short-lived. After a while, although the calcium pills continued to make my diarrhea much less frequent and severe, I still had a distressing problem. After the first one or two large stools come out (which itself can be difficult; it feels like my guts have just forgotten how to push), there is always some more that just refuses to come out. It's usually small pieces (of varying degrees of solidness or the lack thereof), but sometimes it's actually another large stool that my guts seemingly just aren't in the mood to push out for some stubborn reason, and it's as if my guts just don't know how to push it out. I can sit there and strain forever, but the only thing that gets the remainder out is flushing it out with my bidet (which I don't want to have to do long-term, as this can be unhealthy). It's like my external sphincter can move, but anything further inside me just doesn't want to budge. It makes me wonder if my prior Imodium use permanently partially paralyzed my intestines or something. Or maybe it's a side-effect of the calcium (but then again, I had similar trouble with it taking forever to all come out back when it was primarily liquid diarrhea before I started taking the calcium). It's hard to explain, but I don't think that it's ordinary constipation. For one thing, it happens even on days when my stool is soft, even when I have the occasional diarrhea day. It's not just on days when the stool is hard.

Has anyone else here experienced anything of the kind? Does anyone have any advice? Could taking the calcium at a different time (like at bedtime instead of with meals) help?

#2345 Perk

Perk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:14 AM

No your bowels are not paralyzed. The feeling of not being able to finishing a bowel movement is a part of IBS. My doctor says its caused by hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids both internal and exterior are in part caused by the extra pushing during a bowel movement. I myself feel the frustration of having no test in the US for bile acid malabsorption.

#2346 beechcott

beechcott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

No your bowels are not paralyzed. The feeling of not being able to finishing a bowel movement is a part of IBS. My doctor says its caused by hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids both internal and exterior are in part caused by the extra pushing during a bowel movement. I myself feel the frustration of having no test in the US for bile acid malabsorption.

It's not caused by hemorrhoids in my case. Hemorrhoids can make it feel like something is still in there when there isn't. In my case, it's something actually still in there but which takes forever to come out.

However, I recently found something that, so far, is greatly helping me. I still take the calcium pills (half a pill with each meal, which is twice a day as I eat two meals), but I'm now also taking three enteric-coated peppermint oil pills per day (one thirty minutes before each meal and one directly before bed), and most days it works like magic. Not only are my stools firmer than with the calcium alone, but they come out way faster as well.

#2347 Mymoon77

Mymoon77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

Hi Linda. I
Just found this site. Im a newly. I too have IBS WITH D ITS A DRAG and as you know always need to know where all the Loos are. Im taking Calcium Citrate. Will that work or do I need to take calcium Carbonate? Thanks for your reply 😊 🙏

#2348 beechcott

beechcott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

Hi Linda. I
Just found this site. Im a newly. I too have IBS WITH D ITS A DRAG and as you know always need to know where all the Loos are. Im taking Calcium Citrate. Will that work or do I need to take calcium Carbonate? Thanks for your reply

It has to be calcium carbonate. Calcium citrate will probably make matters worse, or at least no better.

#2349 Jayne.F

Jayne.F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

Linda, There are not enough words to describe how grateful I am after first reading your post.  Started taking calcium carbonate 600 mg immediately 3 times a day & it has been over 2 months since an attack.

Thank you thank you thank you,  my life has now taken a dramatic change & I feel happy & confident once again. wub.png

• gramx3 likes this

#2350 Filmdolly

Filmdolly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

I just wanted to say thank you to Linda and this group for posting so much helpful information. I have been struggling for many years with this issue and have finally found some things that are working. The Caltrate posts have been a life saver. I have been using half a tab twice a day with meals. I have mixed IBS so was nervous but desperate for some solution. Thank you, Linda for sharing this and the group for keeping where it was easily found. Thanks so much.

#2351 LindaADK

LindaADK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

Thank you for this information!  I am going to start taking my calcium daily!  I hope it works.  Linda

#2352 LindaADK

LindaADK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

I have been taking the calcium for 4 days now, and I haven't had any diarrhea at all!  I have been having normal BM's for the last two days.  I think I forgot to mention in my last post that my gallbladder was removed a few years ago and I believe that is when the issues started, getting progressively worse.  If this is the cure I've been desparately seeking, then I am so relieved.  Who would know that a simple supplement would fix it!

• gramx3 likes this

#2353 gramx3

gramx3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

Hi there, Linda.  I certainly hope calcium continues to help you!  I also have IBS-D and calcium is a huge help for me.  It doesn't fix everything, but I have faithfully taken 2 a day for several years.  Best wishes!  Jo Anne

#2354 Mark25

Mark25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:12 AM

Its day 3 since I started taking calcium. I take capsules form, 3 x 400mg daily. No changes so far. I still have loose stools. I tried so may things over the past 2 years and only thing that really helps me is loperamide + psyllium husks but psyllium gives me terrible gas no matter how much I take, so I cant really take it. I also tried citrucell but it is so expensive in europe. I think I will continue to take calcium for the next week, but I will increase the dosage to 800mg 3x day. If that does not help I will get back on loperamide + partially hydrolized guar gum and see if that helps.

#2355 gramx3

gramx3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:02 AM

Its day 3 since I started taking calcium. I take capsules form, 3 x 400mg daily. No changes so far. I still have loose stools. I tried so may things over the past 2 years and only thing that really helps me is loperamide + psyllium husks but psyllium gives me terrible gas no matter how much I take, so I cant really take it. I also tried citrucell but it is so expensive in europe. I think I will continue to take calcium for the next week, but I will increase the dosage to 800mg 3x day. If that does not help I will get back on loperamide + partially hydrolized guar gum and see if that helps.

Hello Mark,

Please give it a little more time.  Three days on Calcium is not very long.  

What type of Calcium are you taking?  It should be Calcium Carbonate, not Calcium Citrate.  Also, it should not contain magnesium (however magnesium stearate is ok because it is only used to improve the consistency and quality control of medication capsules). 

I take Calcium Carbonate and a small amount of loperamide daily.  In addition daily I take 2 servings of the Walmart (Equate) brand of Benefiber.  This is a surprisingly helpful product for IBS-D.  It is a dietary fiber called Dextrin.  The Benefiber brand is expensive.  The Walmart/Equate version is much more affordable.  I don't know if you can source Walmart products in Europe, but it is well worth a try!  It is very easy to take, and is totally tasteless with no side effects.  

I'm 70 years old now and have lived with IBS-D for 50 years, so I've run the gamut so to speak.  These supplements have not been a cure for me, but they have improved the quality of my life and made living with IBS-D more tolerable.

Take care and best wishes on managing this condition.

Jo Anne, Grandmom of Triplet Girls

#2356 Mark25

Mark25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

Thank you for your answer Anne.

I am taking Calcium Carbonate without any magnesium. It is in capsules form. 

Unfortunately I can't get my hands on Benefiber in Europe and ordering from US is too expensive. As far as I can tell it is really similar to Partially Hydrolized Guar Gum which I have been using.

So I increased my calcium dosage to 800mg 3x day and that seems to be helping - I have mostly formed stools. How much calcium can I take daily? I want to increase dosage further to maximize benefits but I don't know if I can "overdose" calcium?

#2357 gramx3

gramx3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

Mark25, 

I really do not know how much calcium is too much.  It seems like you are taking a lot now. 

Perhaps someone else here can answer the question.  

Please research carefully or ask a medical professional before increasing your dosage.

Again, best wishes to you.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here