LINDA's Calcium Info - Page 2 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

#21 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:40 PM

suzi,I sent you an email so hopefully we got that straightened out. If you take things for indigestion and gas you may find that most of the stuff has magnesium in it so that is not a good choice. Simethicone is good for gas. You can work you way up to 3 tablets a day but if you need to go out and stop the d for now you can use immodium. Please don't give up yet it takes a little tweeking and hopefully you will feel better.Linda
  • Akn1965 likes this
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Since finding this forum about 3 months ago, I started the Caltrate 600 Plus D, and things are LOOKING UP! Posted Image I have discovered one small drawback...constipation and now a horrible case of HEMMIES! Posted Image At first, I completely cut out the calcium but that took me all the way back to square one. So, I've just started re-introducing the supplement to my daily regime and it's working on the "Big D" part of things...now if I could just fix the other. Oy! It's always something!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:57 PM

Linda,What were your main symptoms that the calcium helped eliminate?

#24 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:16 AM

debsave,You are having a problem lots of people have and you may want to try the Caltratee 600 plus D with the added minerals. It has around 40 mg of magnesium per tablet and this can help with the constipation. You also may need to adjust to 1/2 tablet at regular intervals or at least at one of your meals. I know you have found out it really can help to control the diarrhea now getting the dose right is next. And you also found out not taking it will bring the diarrhea right back. It is a control not a cure.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

#25 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

B,Well it stopped the D and with that stopped the cramping pain the sick feeling I had when I put the first bit of food in my mouth the gas and bloating and the noise (gurgling sound I constantly had). The anxiety went after knowing the calcium would hold and I did not have to worry I had time to get to the bathroom. Eating became more enjoyable and eating out is now a common thing for me and eating most everything I want. PMS got better after about 3 months of being on the calcium. Linda

[email protected]

#26 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

B,I also had the mucus and yellowish bile colored BM and now it is a normal brown what ever a normal brown is. No more of the acid burn when going.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Linda....so far, so good. I had an attack a few days ago, but that's the first one since starting on the calcium this summer. Posted Image I also had my gallbladder out in March and it sent my IBS into orbit!!! I'm still not able to eat a lot of things, but I'm slowly pulling it together! Between the calcium, the librax, the citrocel, and the ibs diet from another site, I'm doing pretty well!

#28 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

meepcat,Thanks for posting and your note may give someone else the courage to try something so simple thinking it could never work but I know it has helped me when nothing else did. You may consider yourself as having IBS but more than likely it is bile salts diarrhe since having your gall bladder removed and if you had diarrhea before it could be because the gall bladder was not functioning properly and causing the problem. Remember it is no cure and only a control you must take daily. Good news though as to you are doing better now.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

hi i am so going to go buy this tomorow had D again tonight really bad, one question though, i have extremes right now of D then C for like 5 days then i even tried taking flax seed oil tablets the other day and it didnt make me go which it used to, so is there a way of taking it to stop the D but take something else along side it to gently keep you slightly regular?

#30 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

Can you say if you get diarrhea then you take something to make it stop like imodium and that may stop you up for a few days then the diarrhea will hit you again.I know here in the States they have come out with metimucel and calcium together I have not tried this but maybe this could help.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:09 AM

yeah thats what happens, just been to holland and barretts and have now decided they are rubbish, i bought this one just called high strength calcium 600mg plus vitamin D 3 pg ( i think thats a p it has the top cut off it though so its either a printing error or it means something else)is this one okay to take, its the best they had and it contains calcium 600mgvitamin D 3 pg (i know for sure thats not a p because its the same on the back but thats the nearest character i can get on the key board)then lower down it saysingerdiantscalcium carbonate, stabilisers (sodium carboxmethyl-cellulose, hydroxpropyl methylcellolose), anti caking agents agent (magnesium stearate), vitamin D.it says take one or two a day with meals so im just going to take one in a minute after ive had some food, or should i take half like somewhere earlier said? i havent looked in the bottle yet to see if they are the type of tablets i can get in half though so i dont know if that would be possible anyway yeti just added to this message but it didnt post so i will type again lol, i just bought some high strength aloe vera tablets too are these okay to have together and would they work well along side each other?oh and i bought some high strength aloe vera tablets too to take along side, would these too work okay against each other?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

update - i took half a one about halfeay through eating but ive been getting a few pains, i dont know if this is because i had bad D yesterday though pleassssse dont ket me get it again tonight!

#33 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

Sphhie,Lets start slow here. It sounds like you have the right form of calcium carbonate with vitamin D. Do not take the aloe vera with it you must take as few things as possible so you can know if the calcium is going to work. If you add other things you will not know which is helping or hurting. DO start with 1/2 tablet with your 3 daily meals at least 4 or 5 hours apart. Do not take any vitamins. Check any other meds for side effects to see if any can cause you diarrhea.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

okay thanks, well i just took another half another one this morning and luckily i havent already tried any aloe vera so i will leave it for now, i woke up at like 7am feeling as though i had trapped wind which is very unusual as i rarely get this problem, however it was minor really it went away by itself and i went back to sleep. havent had D yet, havent been to the loo yet either, i think about day 5 is the telling time because thats when ive been getting it in a cycle for the past weeks

#35 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

Sophie,Gas can be a problem for the first 3 days usually with the calcium then it goes away as the body adjusts. You can take simethicone if you need to for that. Watch not to take any anti acids with magnesium this will cause diarrhea in some cases.DO not eat lettuce either this is a trigger for most diarrhea suffers.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

ooo still havent been to the toilet, need something i can take soon with calcium to help me go but i dont know if flax seed oil is allowed with calcium also nearly died this morning getting half a tablet jammed in my throat im scared to have another tonight! help is there any easier forms of calcium to take im so rubbish with tablets

#37 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:12 PM

Sophie,Well it seems the calcium is doing what it does constipates. This not what you want either. You need to stop the calcium until you go so how long has it been.After you get things going again then start back on the calcium and 1/2 with breakfast and 1/2 with dinner may be enough for you.Here in the US we have a chewable Caltrate Brand that comes in a orange and white box maybe you can get a chewable one there with the calcium carbonate and vitamin D.Stay in touch so we can maybe get this worked out.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

Hey Linda, I just popped a half tab of Caltrate. I had these layin around the house , but was afraid the calcium would cause more stones...Go figure huh?...If this stuff workz, you'd be my hero for Life!!!

#39 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:46 AM

AJD111,I know I have a large following of calcium users I have been giving help and support over the last seven plus years and I am sure I have thousands of users that have expressed there gratitude also becaue they have been getting help by taking calcium.You do need to look at what you are currently doing and stop all the things you can with your doctors okay and that means OTC things also.Everything has some sort of side effect and calcium carbonate has constipation as a side effect and because of the way it goes through the system and soaks up fluids this can help control the diarrhea but it must be taken every day at regular intervals to keep it working.Some of those who suffer from constipation also need to look at what they take and if they are on calcium this may be the cause of the constipation. There are different forms of calcium you can take to help either condition.I am always glad to pass the info along and as I see people on the message board who I think the calcium may help I pass the info on to them if they post there email. Let me know how you do and if you need help just send me and email with what you are doing and what you take and I will see if I can offer you some of the feedback from many users I have gotten over the years.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

Linda how long does it take for the calcium to start working??..Thanks!!!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here