LINDA's Calcium Info - Page 3 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

#41 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

AJD111,I noticed from the first day of taking it I had less discomfort when eating. I did suffer from some gas but it went away and I also took a full pill because at that time I did not know all I know now and it is better to start with 1/2 pill with your 3 daily meals to slowly get used to taking the calcium. If you do have gas you can take simethicone. But since the diarrhea had stopped I put up with it then it stopped also. Some do not take the right form or take it in the right way and give up. So it is important to do that. Some take a week or so some can take a month or so but most get some sort of relief pretty quick. It is a matter of adjusting the dose and the timing of the dose to get it to work the best it can for you.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm new and read about adding calcium to my diet. I was already taking Omega 3 oils and psillium caps (pill form), so I added the Caltrate with my pill intake. I can't believe the difference. In a month, I reduced my D "attacks" to only two, and they were food related (as in I ate things that I *knew* would trigger an attack). I can't believe the difference it has made for me. I'm so glad I tried the calcium supplement with vitamin D.This combined with acupuncture has really made a difference in my digestive system.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

what does vitamin D actually do? oh and success today by the way, not too bad so im gonna carry on and see how it goes

#44 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

Sophie22,Vitamin D 200 IU (The sunshine vitamin needed to help the body absorb calcium)Many who use the sun screens to block the sun may not get enough of this vitamin also.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

#45 tltrull

tltrull

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:03 PM

Linda, thanks for the info. I have been on Lotronex almost a year now, but it stopped working months ago. I got some Caltrate...so far so good, but I think I'll need to switch to chewables, these big pills are killing me!

#46 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

tltrull,I am surprised the Lotronex stopped working but it is people like you that will help the researcher try to find out why because you must have had to be watched closly while being on the medicine. I am here if you have questions about the calcium and if you have trouble let me know and maybe I can offer some help.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

if you have trigger foods, ie pizza which im having tonight can calcium help from the side effects from that, like instead of taking 1/2 a tablet after i eat i could take a full one to make sure and it wouldnt give me D?

#48 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Sophie,I have done that before and it has worked for me and others also have reported to me this has helped. I think with Pizza it could be the tomato sauce causing the problem so if you could limit the amount of tomato sauce maybe scrape some of it off and eat the pizza like that for now it may help. I now eat pizza without a problem but some have less sauce than others so you my look for that. In time as your insides heal you will be able to eat more of the things you thought you could not right now use senseable limits of acid food and lettuce is almost a no no when I eat out always.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

thats interesting, i thought it was the cheese, and wheat, i eat tomato ketchup with absolutely everything, does that count as the same thing? i just took a full tablet after i ate so hopefully i can fluke it, i just love pizza so much. sometimes i get away with it sometimes i dont its a funny thing

#50 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Sophie,Yes it does include Ketchup but maybe the ketchup is not in the large quanity as it is on a pizza. It also could be part of your suffering now that you know this maybe you can pay attention as to how much you eat at one time. Small amounts seem to be just fine with me since getting control with the calcium maybe this will be with you too after you give you insides a little time to heal.Linda

[email protected]

#51 tltrull

tltrull

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LNAPE:tltrull,I am surprised the Lotronex stopped working but it is people like you that will help the researcher try to find out why because you must have had to be watched closly while being on the medicine. I am here if you have questions about the calcium and if you have trouble let me know and maybe I can offer some help.Linda
Still taking the lotronex(it still works sometimes when I cycle it by taking it for a while, when it stops working I stop for a while and start over), started the calcium 2 days ago and no D! I have had some cramping like I needed to go...1st time it was just a normal bm(WOW)2nd it was nothing. I have only been taking it 2x daily, 12 hours apart with my lotronex. I have been pondering stopping the lotronex for a while to see if the calcium will be enough, or if it is a combo of the two.Yeah I think its funny the lotronex is no longer working right as well. It used to be 1mg 2x daily was too much and 1 would constipate, but now max dose isnt enough.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LNAPE:Can you say if you get diarrhea then you take something to make it stop like imodium and that may stop you up for a few days then the diarrhea will hit you again.I know here in the States they have come out with metimucel and calcium together I have not tried this but maybe this could help.Linda
is it ok to take the calcium carbonate with immodium as i would like to try the calcium but i fell i would also need to take immodium for extra security.

#53 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

geme,Many have started the calcium with immodium and this is okay. I know if you are now doing something you confident in or atleast are able to function somewhat then do continue. When you find out how the calcium works with you then work your way off of the immodium and you will feel much better. Let me know if I can help. And try to start slow with the calcium and that is 1/2 tablet with you daily meals to let the body adjust to it. You may have a little gas and indigestion the first few days but try to cope if you can. If you need something for gas use simethicone and watch out for anti acids with magneisum this will add to the diarrhea.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LNAPE:geme,Many have started the calcium with immodium and this is okay. I know if you are now doing something you confident in or atleast are able to function somewhat then do continue. When you find out how the calcium works with you then work your way off of the immodium and you will feel much better. Let me know if I can help. And try to start slow with the calcium and that is 1/2 tablet with you daily meals to let the body adjust to it. You may have a little gas and indigestion the first few days but try to cope if you can. If you need something for gas use simethicone and watch out for anti acids with magneisum this will add to the diarrhea.Linda
thanks for the quick reply linda i am going to try it then i will leave you know how i get on,thanks very much for your help,fingers crossed.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

uh oh i can feel a bad episode coming on, hopefully nothing will come of it but im feeling gripey, mind you i have been taking one whole one a day instead of two halfs because they are easier to swallow as a whole, maybe thats why, i think i might try and change it to two wholes a day because halfs are so difficult for me, plus ive had to swallow them with pop on a couple of occasions which is probably bad, and i had pizza friday so that could contribute maybe

#56 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

Sophie,The pizza must have went well on Friday is that correct. It should not effect you now. I know it is hard to swallow that 1/2 tablet. There is a chewable in the Caltrate brand in an orange and white bottle maybe you could locate a chewable. You do need to take the dose spread out because once it works it way thorugh the system if you do not add more then you may get diarrhea again. Let me ask do you usually have a certain time of day which you have diarrhea. If so we can do something a little different.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:36 AM

i usually get it on a night, after dinner maybe 8 or 9. ive been taking just one at dinner time because i forget and have been so busy during the day to eat, it didnt happen last night just pain for a while so maybe thats a good sign!

#58 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

SOPHIE,Just taking the one may be enough for you if you only have it at night take one at dinner as you have been doing and see how it goes. I am glad you did not have an attack last night. Things are looking up for you.Linda

[email protected]

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hi Linda been looking for calcium carbonate today the only ones i found are dissolvable with vitamin d they do not contain magnesium though will these do.

#60 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

geme,Do they have 600 mg of calcium carbonate. If they do this should be a good place to start.Linda

[email protected]

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here