LINDA's Calcium Info - Page 4 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:57 AM

Linda they are 400mg per tablet is that any good or not.

#62 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

geme,since we start by breaking the 600 mg in half you may not want to break yours because you would most likely not get enough of the calcium. So start with a full tablet with your 3 daily meals and see what happens. Let me know how you do.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:24 PM

well ive started on two whole tablets a day, one after breakfast and one after dinner, i have eaten some junky things today like sugered almonds and salt and vinegar flavoured crisps and my achey tum has started not long after i started feeling like "oh why did i eat all that sugery fatty stuff" so it may be that or the new upage of the calcium dosage, dont know yet what will come of this achey gripey tum!so thats my update, looking for a good amount to take, when i get paid i will look into chewable calcium forms. also want to look at that new probiotic and see about this caltrate calcium that you were talking about, might see if i can get it sent over here in the UK

#64 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

Sophie,You may want to hold off on eating the vinegar flavoured crisps this adds acid to the stomach and may give you some trouble. Let me know how you do.Linda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

#65 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

Hi, Linda.I'm a bit of an imposter here because my digestive problems are neither D nor C as such, just plenty of bms every day. You kindly sent me the protocol for taking calcium carbonate about half a year ago. I used it for about 4 months and started again recently a few days ago.Last week I had a bone mineral density test and my reading puts me at a moderate to high risk of a fracture and I was told to up my calcium intake. I forgot to mention to the therapist that I had actually been taking a calcium supp and didn't remember until I got home. I was surprised that my reading was so low, esp as I do huge amounts of exercising. As with many other IBSers I had been shunning dairy and I also have a high caffeine and protein intake, which would probably mean that the calcium is not absorbed as well. So I'm going to continue with the supps and gradually try to re-introduce dairy. I have read recently that dairy, however, is not such a good source of calcium as had been thought.

#66 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

Arnie,Excercising is something that will make you need more calcium. You also need the vitamin d to help you absorb more of the calcium and if you can tolerate it magnesium also will help with the absorption. You may also have your thyroid checked to see if it is okay because this to can make a difference in the use of calcium by the body. Calcium will not correct the bone loss after it has occured there are drugs like fosamax that can do this. But taking the calcium will prevent further damage if your body is utilizing it properly.LindaLinda

[email protected]

#67 tltrull

tltrull

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

No D for me since I started taking the calcium with my Lotronex...YAY. Its been over a week!I had to cut back to both once a day because I got a little constipated even(not going at all or passing rocks LOL). If anything changes I will adjust the dose accordingly, but so far so good.

#68 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

tltrull,This is good news for you. I would let your doctor know next time you visit. You may also want to consider being able to totally stop the Lotronex sometime soon as you see that the calcium may help you with the diarrhea and not have the side effects that Lotronex can have. I am glad you wrote to let us know of you success. Stay in touch as to how you are.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

Linda, Don't think you'll remember me, but I tried the Calcium once before and had to much discomfort to stick with it. I thought, I might have had the burning D but I could be getting that mixed up with Digestive Enzymes. I know I can't take that without getting the burning. I decided to give calcium a try again and stick with it for more than a day. I usually can rely on immodium and it usually doesn't fail me. But it has twice this week so I think I need a new plan. Today I am starting my second day and it seems to be going much easier this time. I might take a dose of immodium if I have to go somewhere for insurance. I am still paranoid. Thanks for keeping the info posted. I hope this works.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

jurena,maybe you were just unlucky last time, perhaps even you are one of those with a real bad paranoia about being ill so it happens, i mean im bad but maybe you are reallly bad with that, but i think its more likely it just needed more time to work with you, ive been taking it between 2 and 3 weeks and while ive had an achey tum a few times ive not got D as yet, touch wood. ive even eaten pizza, croissant, bread, a few choc and some cheese cake, always taking the calcium tab after and it hasnt given me D yet, so im hoping the good luck will last for me

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

Sophie, I dunno know what it is. I seem to be very sensitive to everything. It was probably the gas last time that I couldn't handle because with the D you never know if it is just going to be gas so I wouldn't leave the house just for that reason. I probably just want a quick fix because even though I'm not working at the moment (I need to be, though), I always have things I need to be doing and just don't have time for this. I'm glad that you are doing well with the calcium. Hope it continues. I'm not sure why the immodium didn't work either. Maybe I have a bit of a bug and don't know it. That was my hope anyway.

#72 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

Jurena, You do need more time than one day and taking immodium if you get diarrhea is okay. Do start with 1/2 tablet at each meal to let your system get used to taking the calcium. If you have gas you can take simethicone but if you take something else for the gas and indigestion you may get for the first 3 days make sure it does not contain magnesium as many of the antiacids do.Stay with us and maybe we can get it worked out this time. It is better if your stop any thing you can also because you will not know if the calcium is helping or hurting and if you are on something else you may have some sort of side effect from that also.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

Thanks LInda. Today is day 3. Stool is definately formed but still going to bathroom often. Do you think that will slow down? I did take 1 immodium today just because I am paranoid and need to go out for a couple of hours. If I do have a problem I will probably contribute that to the immodium because I've been fine for the last couple of days without it.

#74 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

Jurena,Have you been taking 1/2 tablet doses for the past 3 days. If you may want to increase the dose maybe of one of the tablets to a full tablet. Is there a certain time of day where it is worse than others.Go ahead if you feel more safe taking the immodium but as you say it may turn around and maybe tomorrow you will get diarrhea again.It takes time to trust your will be okay when starting something new like the calcium so don't worry hang in for a while to give it a good chance to work. You should go less often also.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:15 AM

i hope it continues too but i may have spoke to soon, ive got work in 20 minutes and im starting to go to the toilet quite a bit and im sure its getting softer than it was, pleaseee dont let it turn into D at work ive got 4 hours to get through. also i nearly choked again this morning took 3 attempts this morning to swallow a hole tablet third time lucky, the first two tablets dissolved too much for me to swallow kept sticking to my tounge! i just havent got time to go and find some chewable ones :(i hope i didnt take too much though since i swallowed the third tablet first time but the first two may have dissolved quite a bit in my mouth

#76 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Sophie,I hope thing did not get bad for you but I have found at the beginning if I did have an attack of diarrhea it was just one time and it was over but no pain. I know this gets scarry but do not give up too soon. Sometimes you also need to take a little time for yourself and get what you need to make things easier for you so find the time to get the chewable tabs or at least check online so you know where to run to when you get a moment.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

thanks well i took a couple of entracalm before i left for work so i could almost be sure i wouldnt get D. i dont know if i would have if i hadnt taken them but even if i did its probably because i have been going a bit too far with foods i shouldnt really have

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

Linda, Yes, I've been taking 1/2 pill with meals. No repercussions today from the immodium. I usually don't have any aside from last week. I'm not sure what that was. My worst time is in the morning although if I'm going to have a bad time I'd prefer that, since I can then get it out of the way to go on with the day. Which dose do you think I should increase to a full pill? Oh, and I just got a call about a job I applied for a couple of months ago. They want me start of Tuesday. Now I'm nervous.Thanks

#79 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

Jurena,If you would move the dinner dose to a full tablet at bedtime with a small snack this should help you in the morning. It seems you are doing okay for now but I know the anxiety is still there and that is understandable. If you are going to start the new job and it is in the morning you have a few days now to make the dose change and see how you are.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

ok so now im worried, i told my boyfriends mum i was taking calcium tablets and she was like "oh you have to be really careful because apparently she was saying about how you can get gallstones or something from calcium deposits, i dont want to get them, what can i do?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here