LINDA's Calcium Info - Page 5 - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

LINDA's Calcium Info

• Please log in to reply
2356 replies to this topic

#81 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

Sophie,Gall stones are made of mostly cholestrol she may have ment kidney stones and this too is not true. Oxalates are usually the cause of kidney stones and calcium actually helps rid the body of oxataltes and helps to prevent kidney stones. Just drink a normal amount of water to keep the kidneys flushed and as long as your body processes calcium correctly you should be fine. If you had a thyroid problem then you may need to check with the doctor on the calcium. In most cases we do not get enough calcium and enough sun light to get the vitamin d so you are most likely doing something good for your bones and your diarrhea.LindaLinda
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:07 AM

Count me in among the "happy campers" who have tried the Caltrate+D! It has been 2 weeks now. Not a single episode of D. Unbelievable!!!! After reading Linda's advice, I took a look at the Calcium supplement I was using (NOW brand from the local health food store), and it had 500mg of magnesium. No wonder I was in the bathroom all the time.I stopped all lettuce, diet coke, dairy and chocolate (as per others' advice on this board) earlier. The only thing that made the difference for me was stopping the magnesium and starting the Caltrate.Thanks so much, Linda, for helping me and others! I feel like I've got my life back! No one else can understand what it's like to be stuck in a car/church/golf course/county fair with no possibilty of bathroom. I am grateful for everyone's input here.

#83 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:49 AM

Barb,You have made my day. I am so happy to hear of your success. I know I get lots of emails with good news but I am always glad when someone post so others can read it and maybe give it a try.The calcium info can be good for those who have been constipated also if they are taking the wrong form of calcium and can apply the info to there situitation as you have found that the magnesium in the calcium you were using must have been the cause of your diarrhea. The doctors tell us to take calcium as we get older but never give all the information they should about how some can cause constipation or some can cause diarrhea. Here is to people like you and me who have been able to finally figure out the difference and get our selves back to living.Thanks for your input.Linda
  • vinod123 likes this
Linda (D-Type)If I don't take my calcium. Gall Bladder removed in 1976 and suffered with urgent diarrhea until I started calcium.

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LNAPE:Sophie,Gall stones are made of mostly cholestrol she may have ment kidney stones and this too is not true. Oxalates are usually the cause of kidney stones and calcium actually helps rid the body of oxataltes and helps to prevent kidney stones. Just drink a normal amount of water to keep the kidneys flushed and as long as your body processes calcium correctly you should be fine. If you had a thyroid problem then you may need to check with the doctor on the calcium. In most cases we do not get enough calcium and enough sun light to get the vitamin d so you are most likely doing something good for your bones and your diarrhea.LindaLinda
thanks the reassurance makes me feel much better, although im going to try out something, ive bought acidophilius (chewable stwarberry ones) and im going to replace one of the calcium tablets the morning one with the acidophilius so that im getting one of each daily, if that still seems to hold the D at bay then i think it would be benificial to add that in, what do you reckon have you ever mixed and matched before?oh and just thought id add in i by far dont think i drink enough fluids, i just dont get that thirsty so i forget and never seem to have time for a drink break at work etc

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:08 AM

I don't know if this will help anyone thinking of trying the Caltrate+D:I started with 1/2 cap after each meal, and did not have a gas problem. Since I do need to supplement calcium, I upped the dose to 1 whole cap after each meal. Had no problems with that amount/dose, except for going out for dinner with friends one night, and forgot to take it until we got home. It was about 2 hours past dinner, so I took the 1 cap, and about half an hour after that I got cramping, but no BM. So, advice to members, take the calcium with food.Now I carry the Caltrate with me, and take it religiously with meals. Plus, everyone understands when you say "In need to take this with food."I am sooo glad to not need immodium, which gave me that horrible dry mouth. I would drink a lot more water, so that led to D on the days I was trying to go after being stopped up from the immodium.I feel like now it is a contest to see how long I can be on just the Caltrate+D, without having an IBS-D episode. I am, once again, amazed that this works so well!

#86 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Sophie,I think if you are doing well you should not add any thing else. You have not been at it for too long so that would not be a good idea. I also think when it comes to acidophilius you may only need to take it if you have to be on an antibiotic. Everything will have some sort of side effect so be aware.One more thing I forgot to add is if you should have an attack maybe from some bad food not cooked to the right temp or sitting out too long you may have a one time event without pain and it is over. Not the many trips and the pain you may have had before. Even normal folks go throug this from time to time.LindaBarbR,You do need to take it with food and there is calcium citrate form of calcium you do not but it does not work like the calcium carbonate and most citrate forms of calcium have magnesium so this is not what you want. Once you get it down and see how well it can work I have never changed calcium dosing or started anything else over the counter I did not need to take. 7 plus years of success.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

i know what you mean about taking it only if you have had antibiotics but surely just one a day would just keep a nice top up of good bacteria and benifit in other ways like your immune system?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

I just wanted to make a quick posting about my calcium experience so far...I am really bad at taking any sort of medication especially with meals. I keep everything on the table by my bed and take it all either when I wake up or go to bed. I have tried to do the calcium thing twice before but I couldn't remember to take it when I ate and I also didn't like the initial bloating. I decided to give the calcium a try with the rest of my meds; one at night and one in the morning. It's pretty much been a miracle for me. I just got done with finals and usually I would have to do all of my studying on the toilet. I have not had D for over two weeks now which is a huge improvement over my normal 5-10 times a day!! I did just start taking paxil and levbid(2 months ago) but I think it's the calcium that's really done it for me. Thanks so much for posting the info about it! I leave for Mexico Monday and hopefully it is a D free trip!! Good luck to everyone else and I hope it helps as much as it has helped me. Posted Image

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

well i think im going back to my 2 a day because i had the worst D of my life today, i hate to be graphic but i though i had litres of water coming out that is totally new for me and scary but sonce it was so different it may have been a tummy bug since i do work at a hospital. i dont think it had anything to do with the acidophili whatdoaycallit that i started taking because yesterday at 6am with the same pain just not as strong and it went away, that was before i started on that new stuff but im going to stop it anyway because i want to go back on 2 a day calcium because i was really good before that

#90 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

[quote]IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums Hop To Forum Categories Discussion Hop To Forums IBS-Diarrhea (IBS-D) LINDA's Calcium InfoContact Us | IBS Self Help and Support Group | Privacy Statement | Terms of ServiceNotice | Disclaimer[/quoteHuggenkiss,Thanks for posting and I am very happy you are having success with the calcium. Have a great time on your trip to Mexico and don't drink the water.Sophie,You do need to return to what was working and if it continues to help do not add anything else. It seems to me that the acidophili could have caused you the problem.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

the thing is everything ive read about it is good, except that people with allergies to like milk may not be able to take it, which a test says im not but i know i cant have it or wheat so i dont know if thats a problem, plus i had that pain start before i even took any new tablets, it just took full effect the following day.ive started on the calicum again today, didnt take any yesterday as i wanted my stomach to settle, im still in two minds about the other stuff because its meant to help ibs d too and bring balance

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:08 AM

I have not had my gallbladder out, (although do have pain under ribs a lot- is that a symptom>Posted Image and am needing some relief from D every morning for the last week. I am eating VERY little and only toast and rice cakes with a little wheat free pasta. Would you suggest the calcium carbonate with vit d without magnesium? I am likely to get worse before I get better?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:54 AM

I want to give my thanks to Linda in public.Linda is my GOD Posted Image Nik

#94 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:21 AM

spursgirl79,It can help even if you have not had your gall bladder removed. The pain I had for that was pain in the center and working its way round to the right side. Nausea and the very bad pain under the shoulder blade in my back. You may have some gas and indigestion at the beginning by this goes away as your body adjust to the calcium. It took me about 3 days. You do not eat very much but to lessen the problem you do need to take it with food. Not a large amount but have something to eat when you take it. You can take the calcium carbonate with vitamin d and no magneisum. 1/2 tablet at least 4 or 5 hours apart for the first 3 days with your meals 3 times a day. You can take simethicone for the gas if you have it.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:08 AM

JUst wanted to give you quick update. Maybe you'll be able to suggest something. I must have the worst luck ever. I started the job yesterday. Supposed to be there at 10:00 and got stuck in my driveway and had to call. I was only 10 minutes late, but still not a good thing for first day. I got home about 2:30 and ate and took a full calcium pill. About 2 hours later I started getting gas pains that I have beeen unable to pass. I was up at 5:30 this morning trying to figure out what to do. I can't go into work in pain like this. Any suggestions?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:41 AM

Good news. Was drinking peppermint tea at time of last posting and everything seems to be starting to work its way out. Not sure if I should take the calcium this morning or go with immodium just for today. It might not of even been the calcium. Ive gotten that before.

#97 LNAPE

LNAPE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5427 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:35 AM

Jurena,Is this the first day of taking calcium. You must start with a low dose for the first 3 days to get your body used to it. 1/2 tablet 3 times a day. It does give gas and indigestion. It needs to be regular daily doses with your food at least 4 or 5 hours apart.I am glad it seemed to pass now. You can take simethicone for the gas if you need to.but be careful if you use other things that they do not contain magensium.Linda

[email protected]

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

No, I've been taking it for a little over a week now. I tryed 3 gas-x pills last night, but that didn't work. I'm better now, though.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

I am not really sure where this goes but it is nice to find out that this very inconvient and uncomfortable thing is something a lot of people deal with too. I go back and forth between D and C and knowing when which one is going to hit is a pain literally. The C is much easier for me because I take Fiber Choice and drink lots of water but the D is not cool... having to carry extra clothes from the waist down,not knowing if it is gas or D, having extra clothes depending on how bloated I am. Anyway I read somewhere that someone was drinking a mango drink that my mother swears by for her stomach- if anyone recognizes this let me know please. I am also wondering what the whole trigger thing is about. I was diagnosed a year ago- given questran and it calmed everything down- horrible to take!! and thanksgiving had a flare up that is like the ocean coming in waves. I can understand stress because I am buying a house(1st Time) and nothing is going right, college isn't going well, have 2 toddlers and the list goes on. I went to the doc when I got off of the toilet 4 days later and was told to avoid dairy and gas causing foods- DUH like that isn't obvious. I also have a pain in the lower right part of my abdomen that has come and gone frequently when I used to be diagnosed with gastroenteritis. I just hope that everyone with IBS has an understanding person by their side because without that I think I would have gone insane by now. My other half is reassuring and says ok what do you need me to do or what is the next thing to happen?- meaning a restroom, new clothes, a quiet night with a heating pad on the abdomen. Has anyone else lost a job because they couldn't get there in the am like they wanted them to? o.k. enough from me. Thanks

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:20 AM

youre IBS is EXACTLY the same as mine, right down to the pain in the right, i always panic that im getting appendicitus or something! mango i havent heard of but i have heard of something called mangosteen, i dont know anything about it though im sure there is a thread maybe in the alternate therapys forum. i alternate C and D too and i agree when you know its coming its awful and it makes me worse because i stress myself out about it. in a way i think it coming in waves is a good thing atleast you get a break! lol. ive had mine since i was 11 and im now nearly 21 so ive tried a few things and definatly try exclusion dieting because it does help alot for most the symptoms, well probably will make them less frequent anyway. i dont have dairy or wheat, now and again i treat myself and sometimes i get away with it, others i dont. ive been taking calcium lately, i dont know if its just luck but in over 3 weeks ive had bad D once, i was getting it atleast once a week so i dont know if this is a fluke yet, i have had bad days like the last couple ive had a couple of days where ive had a constant tummy ache and going to the loo quite a bit but as yet no D so thats a good sign. anyhings worth a try. im going to try the hypnosis tapes next, i did get a pro biotic to try too but im not sure if im going to go for that yet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here