Fear of car rides. - Mental Health - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fear of car rides.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

Advertisement
I have trouble riding in the car. When I'm the one driving I seem to be better. I think it's cuz I'm the one in control. But when I'm the passenger I always feel like I'm going to have the runs. Now my bf wants me to fly out to his house this Aug. so I can meet his mom and then we'd drive back so I can help him move nearer to me. We're divided on this because I don't mind flying, but the driving part has me worried. I don't want to feel cruddy for 14 hours straight when I can't even make it without stopping more than once in a 1 hour trip.

#2 Fed Up

Fed Up

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Yeah that is so wierd! When i feel like I'm the one in control, like you say, I'm fine. Think it's coz you know if u have an attack, you can throw the car into the nearest spot and leg it to the toilet! I find that if someone else is driving, they seem to take forever parking etc....And all the time, I'm saying 'im gonna poo in your car unless you move it!' LOL Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

I hate carrides, too...I'm better when I drive but unfortunately I hate driving...I think for me it's not so much control as it gives me a chance to concentrate on the road and not my stomach.Wow...I think if I could make it onto a plane, a carride should be nothing... Flights don't bother you?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:29 PM

I can identify with all of you on the car ride anxiety. I have a friend who really helped me. She picked me up for a 1 hour car trip to join my husband where he was working one evening. I warned her that I might have to stop, and she was fine with that. I of course was still nervous and mentioned that there may not be a place to stop along the way. She said that's okay she had a bucket in the car for just such occasions. She used it for a waste basket, but it could be pressed into use as a toilet if needed. Somehow I was reassured by its presence and now I have one in my car. I line it with several plastic bags in case I need it, but so far I haven't needed it. Just knowing that I will never be without a toilet seems to be enough. It's funny how we must play mind games with ourselves. Posted Image It's even funnier how well they work.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GracefullyGassy:I hate carrides, too...I'm better when I drive but unfortunately I hate driving...I think for me it's not so much control as it gives me a chance to concentrate on the road and not my stomach.Wow...I think if I could make it onto a plane, a carride should be nothing... Flights don't bother you?
Oh, plane rides mess me up something terrible. My ears ring and my stomach is horrible. But they have a toilet right there if I need it. And I like to look out the window at the tiny cities below. It keeps my mind off things. But as soon as I've landed my system is screwed up for weeks.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

I have anxiety induced D and taking Buspar a mild sedative has given me my life back. I tired anti depressants and I could not tollerate them they made me to tired. Buspar is a non-drowsy sedative that does not make you tired and it takes the anxiety away.I suffered unnecessarily for years.Now I don't suffer at all.Getting my anxiety under control with Buspar has done the trick.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

Just found this post. Right up my alley. Posted ImageCar rides make me feel resticted. Especially in traffic and red lights. I like to feel I can move at anytime. I drive everywhere. Its that control thing. I tend to feel better when I travel alone for those "just in case" moments. I have to do alot of prep before I go anywhere. Even those short rides. Somedays a 15-20 min ride feels like eternity. I do alot of different techniques to get thru it. I too have a wastebasket in the car-like the theory. Trash or poo-sounds like a good alternative. Plus I only paid a buck for it. Easy enough to replace if need be. But hope I never use it for anything but trash.Thanks for sharing your stories. Any of you ever pass a car and say to yourself wonder what the other person is thinking in the next car. People look so relaxed to me that I can't imagine anyone else feeling this way. I admire those "normal" people. What I would do to have normal bowels & mind. But there is a reason behind everything. It makes us stronger more sympathetic people. Posted Image

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

My husband and I are leaving Wednesday on an overnight flight across the country and then a 2 hour ride in a rented car with my daughter and her husband to attend my son's wedding. It's like every anxiety trigger known to man all rolled up into one trip. I'm praying that my medications and hypnosis CDs won't let me down. Posted Image This should be one of the happiest times in my life, but I'm worried about how to get through it all. Posted Image

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

Slm,What a wonderful time in your life. Your trip sounds like it could be stressful if you let it. Tell yourself before you leave "I will be fine" and repeat it as many times as possible. The great thing is that the majority of your trip you will be near a restroom. The car ride will be no big deal (keep repeating that to yourself) Worse scenario you have to stop to go to the bathroom. I know you are nervous but you have made it before. This will be no different. Focus on the event itself and how happy you are for your son. I know all these things I am suggesting sound so easy-we all no there not. But I want you to leave w/the most positive attitude possible. I hope you have an IBS free week. Let us know how everything goes. Stay strong and positive. Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

I thought I was the only one. Like many of you if someone else is driving I am lucky to make it an hour without having to make a pit stop, when I am driving I can usually make it about 3 hours. The thought of a road trip sounds exciting because of all the places I could see, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself because I would be worrying where the next rest stop was. Someday I would like to be able to say to my girlfriend, "Hey, we're just going to drive. No particular destination, just drive until we're tired." Hopefully the hypnotherapy I have started will make that possible.Andy

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Jomo! It's great to get such good positive reinforcement. Posted Image I'm going to try to feel like a normal person and just enjoy myself. I've had some successful car trips (1-2hr) recently. I'm going to keep them in mind.Andy, I am on day 35 of the IBS Audio program and I think it is helping (that and the Questran.) At least I feel as if I have more control.Wish me luck!! Posted Image

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

Thank you - all of you - I am printing these posts and showing my family. They think I have completely lost my mind and don't understand IBS at all. I have car anxiety now and I can only go to work and to the grocery store and my life has become very lonely. Do you think the hypnotherapy really works?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

I haven't finished yet, but I'm pinning my hopes on them. I want to be able to do all the things I've shut myself off from and not have to give it a second thought. I usually listen to the CDs with earphones when I go to bed. Most of the time I fall asleep during them, but they still get to your subconscious while you sleep. I choose to believe they will work for me, and I think that helps too.It seemed like a lot of money to spend, but after thinking how much it costs to go to the doctor or buy meds, it seems like a bargain.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:06 PM

For SLM - thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the cost of treatments. I have spent over $1000. on supplements, acupuncture and behavioral therapy sessions, and I am still feeling like I am at square one. I have refused meds because I don't hear from anyone that they really get to the heart of the matter and I don't like taking chemicals. Please let me know how the CD's are working for you Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:09 AM

I have tried everything and medicaton that is non drowsy is what works for me. Buspar has given me my life back.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

Piper, you are definately not crazy. I know what it is like. I have a lot of trouble on long car trips. SOmetimes the day before a long car trip I will eat very little, because so many foods set me off. Tell your family you are not alone!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:27 PM

You can also try wearing a diaper for car rides. I haven't done that yet but if I were to take a long trip, I definitely would put one on.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

This is my life. My family is in NY and I'm in Tx. So one way or another there is a long flight or car ride in my future at any given moment. Love my family to death, but just driving home from the airport with them I feel like I'm on a tightrope. Thinking "just get home just get home just get home" and smiling and making small talk. So exhausting. I can go about 5 hours at a time (long enough to use a tank of gas) if it's just me & my dogs. Add a human to the mix and I'm stopping every 30min. How did my mind/gut become afraid of being alone with people in a car. And buses and subways? Let's hope they never force public transport on us. It's a great idea, but I can't do it.

Very Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

M&M, I think it's a subconscious thing going on, knowing your dogs arent going to judge you for using the bathroom 50 buzillion times in 2 minutes if you had to. Whereas, there is this stigma with going #2, and someone with IBS going often.. whoaaa watch out, WEIRDO ALERT.I think we all can relate when it comes to being the one who drives. I ALWAYS drive, unless it's with my mom, then she can drive sometimes. But it's that "I'm not in control" feeling that makes it hard for us to accept other people driving.I worry about other peoples driving skills, too, not just IBS. All a control thing.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

Yup, IBS has turned me into a control freak, too. I won't let anybody else drive. I even have my own small list of pre-approved friends and family members who I feel comfortable enough with to let ride along in my car.As for air travel, unfortunately the pilots still won't let me into the cockpit to fly the plane.TP

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here