Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Oregano Oil revisted

17K views 382 replies 26 participants last post by  Metaphorica 
#1 ·
I watched with intrigue the discussion on another thread about Oregano oil, most particularly, what results people were getting. That topic has now diverged significantly, but it's few days on now, and I am keen to hear from those who were taking it, how they are faring. (The guy who also started the Atkins diet at the same time doesn't count, sorry). So, before I race out and buy it, apart from the burning, has anyone stuck with it and seen any changes?thanks.

G
#3 ·
hello. i bought oregano oil and took it for a couple of days. i noticed significant changes immediately. i'm mostly C type but after having only taken 2 drops i had a bout of mild D. i took it several days after that and now i am starting to notice that my G production has gone up. maybe i should be taking probiotics? i'm not sure. but as for oregano oil... i know it had an effect on me... i'm just not sure if it was a positive one.

G
#4 ·
Hi,I took Oregano Oil in droplet form. The burning was intense, but I got used to it and it was fine later. What I didn't like though was it made me burp alot-and I don't usually have a problem with burping. I noticed that each time I took it, I'd feel somewhat weird in my throat for a few hours so I'd be burping alot to get rid of the sensation. Then later on things would calm down and I'd have some intestinal gas, but I'm not sure if this was more gas than I normally have or if I was able to get rid of the gas I normally have easier. At any rate while its usually hard for me to get rid of gas, on the oregano oil I didn't have a hard time(maybe this is the anti-spasmodic effect). This was a nice effect for me and for the first time in a long while I had a flat stomach and didn't have many spasms. After takign the droplets for a few days and not liking the excessive burping which was giving me a sick headache, I switched to oregano oil pill form. I took one pill and had intense cramping and stomach pain and pressure and intestinal gas and thought I was going to throw up. Finally after I got the intense gas out, I felt great. How strange. I don't know what to make of this. I was also starting my menstrual cycle that night which definitely could have made things worse. Anyway, Oregano Oil definitely has an effect, but also I'm not sure its positive for me. Other concerns are: is it safe for long term use... if its so powerful at killing bacteria, which i believe it is, then what about good bacteria-certainly you can't replace it all with probiotics, right. I am IBS C with alot of cramping, bloating and spasms and extra sensitivity(as I can feel things move thru) and frequency in urinating. I think the oil might be more effective with someone who is IBS-D, but I'm definitely goign to try it again after I stop menstruating and possibly if I find out zelnorm doesn't work for me. At any rate, I've taken almost everything and this is the first thing that's had any kind of effect on my motility and bloating. Its doing somethign but not sure what.HOPE THAT HELPED SOMEONE!

#6 ·
Sorry Metamorphica, the other thread did get hijacked & I apologise for my part in it. Interested in what JoanofArc is saying 'cause I get the same spasms as she does. Haven't started the Oregano oil yet because something else seems to be helping just now & I want to give it a fair go and not confuse the issue by adding another possible therapeutic agent.

#7 ·
Well, I just ordered oregano oil (from North American Herb and Spice Co.). Of course with the long weekend it won't get shipped out till Tuesday, so I won't get it till next week Thursday or so. But I'll let you guys know. Most of the time I am IBS-C, except when I get a flare-up of D. I have been D now for over 7 weeks, and I'm very sick of it. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I have been taking garlic pills for almost a week now, and I think they are doing something, I'm just not sure that it's strong enough.Edith

G
#9 ·
Hi all,I started taking the Oregano Oil about one week ago. From the first day my bowel movements went from 10 to 5 movements a day or less. It does give me a lot of gas however, but I prefer more gas and less bowel movements so for me it has improved a lot. The first days I took 3 times 3 drops a day but got serious spasms the fourth day. Probably not because of the oil because I tried something else also that day and I haven't got it ever since. I did drop the doses to one time a day though because I can feel the oil is much to powerful for a high doses. My stomach also feels less bloated than usual.About the strong burning feeling. You only get that burning feeling when you don't use enough water to swallow it. So don't be afraid of the burning sensation.Peter...(C&D type)

#10 ·
Dasilva,Hopefully it is ok for me to write this, but this is where I ordered oregano oil from: http://www.vitaminlife.com I got the liquid form from North American Herb and Spice Co.There are also many other places where you can by it. Just do a search on oregano oil in yahoo.Hope that helps.Peter (Boesie),Glad to hear it's helping you. I can't wait for my oil to get here, so that I can try it.BTW, do I remember correctly that you are in Belgium? I am from Belgium (from Brugge), but live in the US in California (have been in the US for almost 5 1/2 years now).Edith

#12 ·
quote:More snake oil, as far as I'm concerned.I'm D-type and I tried it for a week (the North American Herb and Spice Co. product). My D just got worse.
Snake oil??? You tried it for one week and you said your D got worse. A possible explanation could be that the oil started to initiate the "die-off" effect in killing any potential "bad" bacteria and hence the normal evacuation or detox procedure is through the bowels. D should never be thought of as the enemy but a natural body response to something else.Oregano oil is pretty potent and what you stated may indicate anything but snake oil.Food for thought. (actually... oregano oil!)[This message has been edited by scottyswotty (edited 05-27-2001).]

G
#13 ·
I agree with scottyswotty that you shouldn't give up after just one week. We all know homeopatic treatments normally just kick in after some time (sometimes weeks). Try it a bit more, Mark.Edith,I'm from Oostrozebeke near Tielt, but living in Gent. I recently started a Dutch speaking forum for IBS sufferers in case you are interested. http://communities.msn.be/IrritableBowelSyndrome You can find the link also on this website. It is still under construction but I hope to make it as succesfull as this one.Good luck with your oil.Regards,Peter...(C&D type)

#16 ·
quote:But the essence of IBS-D is that it's NOT a natural response, but a malfunction in itself.
But then again doctors can't point to a cause for IBS but rather jump in half way and talk about the mind gut link etc. IBS really is just a label of symptoms or explanation of a gastrointestinal mechanism malfunctioning. There still must be a cause underlying or preceding this.To say IBS-D is a malfunction in itself is just begging the question or circular. I do not buy for a second that D is a malfunciton in itself??? So it just happens out of thin air? You need to go back in the chain of causation more.

#17 ·
D can be the bodies natural response to some sort of infection for sure, but with IBS it seems to be for a different reason. They researchers are still trying to totally understand the the whole picture.Some History on IBS. http://www.pk.pharma.novartis.com/html/mednews/jan153100.htm Article on IBS from prevention magazine. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000359.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

#18 ·
WEll, since I'm mostly C but with pebbles and snakes all day (I don't think I have to be more graphic), my main concern is the RHS pain. If the Oil eases the spasms, and can somehow reduce the frequency (even though I'm C, and yes, I do understand the technicalities of how I can go all day and still be C). I think it's worth a try. If you've got snakes, then treat 'em with 'snake oil', I say.

#21 ·
I have some questions. I am still waiting for my oregano oil, it may come tomorrow, or probably on Thursday. I was wondering if it would be best for me to continue the other things I am currently taking for the D, or stop with those when I start taking the oil. I had been taking low doses of immodium (1/2 in the morning and 1/4 at night), but I was getting stomach aches and I think it wasn't helping so much anymore either. So I stopped that yesterday. I only took arrowroot yesterday, and am trying to add 1 calcium to that today, because it wasn't really enough. Anyway, what do you guys think, should I continue those things when I start the oregano oil or not?Thanks,Edith

#22 ·
Metaphorica.I started taking Oil of Oregano (tablets) as prescribed by my alternative M.D. last March. I took them for 2 weeks and didn't notice much of a difference except that I had a few good days toward the end. I ended up stopping the Oregano and taking Flagyl in April. The Flagyl got rid of my symptoms (G and C) for the 10 days that I was on it but a few days after I stopped it they started coming back. After reading about the Oil of Oregano on here I started taking the tablets again and this time they seemed to hold my symptoms at bay. I ran out a few days ago and today after eating dairy and a little wheat my stomach is starting to gurgle. I am going to order more tomorrow.Marina[This message has been edited by Marina (edited 05-29-2001).]

#23 ·
quote: We all know homeopatic treatments normally just kick in after some time (sometimes weeks).
Actually, don't we all know that homeopathic treatments never kick in?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 05-29-2001).]

G
#24 ·
Flux,I disagree. I didn't have spasms since I've been taking a specific homeopathic treatment and my D has improved a lot. Because of the treatment, I'm able to drive more then one hour each day to get to work, going through one of our countries worst traffic jams.Peter...(C&D type)

#25 ·
Thanks Marina,Where did you get them? I have another question: is it better to take the caps or the oil? I understand the caps would perhaps help against the burping and burning some people have mentioned, but because they appear to be cheaper, I am wondering about their potency compared to neat oil. When I look online, there seems to be a range in prices between caps and oil. I have no idea whom to buy them from. Anyone find a bargain shop that had the pure oil? I am C, however, just this last week I have been getting sore abdominal muscles (different from the GI soreness) and a bit of D, also a bit of a sore throat,(which may or may not be related,) so am wondering if I mightn't have some small tummy bug at present, which would effect results. I admit I've been doing a bit more coffee, sugar and wine, (when I say sugar, I am not a whole box of chocolates type girl, but nibble candy a bit here and there) and now I also suspect possible mild candida, though this may ALSO be because of the hotter weather. I am new to the US and still aclimatizing.[This message has been edited by Metaphorica (edited 05-30-2001).]

#26 ·
Hello againI trying to track down an oil, somebody said they got their oil from Vitamin Life. I emailed them first about the purity, and this is the reply I got:Dear Metaphorica,We have two oregano oils that are edible, but they are olive oil based.There are no oregano oils without a base, because oregano does not have anyoil on its own. The two that we have are:Oregamax Oil of OreganoBy: North American Herb & SpiceUPC Code: 635824000013Price: $20.97andOil Of Oregano Extract No AlcoholBy: Nature's AnswerUPC Code: 083000006517Price: $13.97Which do I take? I thought the oil was supposed to be pure, yet she says there isn't any pure oil available. Anybody know?And no, I am not interested in plugging this company, I don't care where I get it, just as long as I get what is supposed to WORK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.