Intestinal gas affecting brain functionality? - Page 10 - Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Intestinal gas affecting brain functionality?

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 thomasnotting

thomasnotting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hi Guys, Elisabeth sorry I didn't get a chance to reply. I didn't actually eat anything special. 

I was doing fine for a while.

But a few days after my last post I had something at work and I got messed up. Then it happened again. So there are definitely trigger foods. I believe these are high histamine foods.

So I decided to chase the mast cell activation disorder stuff that Hsy learnt at Cleveland clinic.

Dr. Theoharis Theoharides has done a lot of work on it.

Also see thelowhistaminechef.com Please check them both out

The low histamine chef is a lady who has also been through severe issues like us and she avoids a bunch of foods basically and eats a very special diet

Relief from mast cell activation disorder as I said was from Sodium Cromolyn - but this is not Over the Counter so I searched for an alternative and came across:

Quercetin

Anyway I went to look for it and came across something called

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Allergy ReLeaf (quercetin, bromelain, turmeric ,e.t.c) Just 4 or 5 ingredients. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THIS THING WORKED LIKE MAGIC. - WORKED IN 20 -30 MINUTES.

Wanted to tell you all earlier but got super busy.

Any time I got the grogginess, brain fog attack, runny nose after eating food, I took it.

The packet even says "stabilizes mast cells"....I actually bought another quercetin allergy formula as well and returned it because it didn't work. I think this one may have been bioavailable (easier to absorb by the body)

I made myself strawberry milk shakes with nuts and seeds in the morning and it messed me up - till I realized Strawberries are a very high histamine food. I took the above tablet and was back to normal and could work at work! within 20 to 30 minutes.

I mean I would still avoid crappy food or high histamine food and not depend on the Allergy ReLeaf but its a great life saver to have.

Please check it out:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B001UYD426

Caution: This thing contains 500mg of Quercetin per serving.Quercetin has a lot of benefits.

However - The university of maryland noted that greater than 1 gram of Quercetin can cause kidney damage - so take care.

Many of you may have a ton of other issues like SIBO and leaky gut too which will need to be fixed independently but  if you guys buy Allergy ReLeaf, I would love to hear the results.

• jaumeb likes this

#182 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:15 AM

Dear Thomas,

Thank you so much!  I've not been doing well lately.  I had a thunderclap headache and for awhile thought I had a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak.  Maybe I do; I'm not sure (no blood leak, though--I had a CAT scan).  Anyway, this huge headache released--guess what?--loads of histamine in my head on top of the histamine that's always there anyway.  I researched and found that the brain is surrounded by the dura which is surrounded by the menenges (sp?) which is a mast cell histamine site and when there's an injury, some people can release histamine.  I've been extremely loaded with it for about 6 weeks now.  This is addition to my SIBO, which I still can't seem to eradicate.  However, I take inspiration from others, thank you, also, doces, who has been treating her SIBO.  My doc says that if I can finally get rid of the SIBO, the histamine should go with it.  However, when I try to take the Allimax that she has prescribed (extremely potent garlic), I get such a huge die-off that I feel like I'm going to have a stroke.  Well, I just ordered the Releaf and will try to take that so that things can be toned down and then try the Allimax again.  I think I have so much damage by now in my brain and my body from this whole ordeal.  I honestly can barely function.  I do stay positive that one day this can be under control.  This website has been a Godsend.  Much love and prayers to everyone going through this.  Sometimes it's an unbearable situation.  Blessings.

#183 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

Oh, one more thing I'd like to mention is that my doctor is pretty sure that I have Dysautonomia/POTS.  Dysautonomia means that the Central Nervous System is out of balance with the excitatory neurotransmitters (epinephrine, norepinephrine, etc.) being too high and the calming neurotransmitters (serotonin, GABA, etc.) being too low.  It leads to a chronic fight or fight situation with many health repercussions, including digestion.  In POTS, there is too low amount of blood in the body (hypovolumia) and low blood pressure.  There is not enough blood for the entire body to be continually filled.  In addition, with the low blood pressure, the body cannot pump blood up to the head and there are many symptoms that can arise from this.  In previous posts, people have said that their brain goes dead when they eat.  When a person has Dysautonomia/POTS, the body has to decide where to send the blood.  When there is food in the stomach, the body sends the blood there for digestion taking it out of where it currently is and if you have low blood volume, many times it comes out the head, causing it to feel dead--in my case, it's not just brain fog; my head feels like it can't think at all.  When this whole thing first happened to me, I had just eaten a large meal.  It literally felt like the blood fell out of my head and I do think that is what happened.  Interestingly to note is that people with Dysautonomia usually have SIBO, too, so there is a huge relationship.  I feel like all of my issues are related:  SIBO/Histamine Intolerance, Dysautonomia/POTS, Adrenal Fatigue, Peripheral Neuropathy and Menopause.  I also have been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse, Stage 1, which also adds to a disturbance of the digestion and Central Nervous System (CNS).  I'm wondering how many other people on this site have some of these illnesses.  I also have a continual body vibration now, which I have read is a disturbance of the CNS.  There are quite a few reasons for these problems, some of which are hormonal imbalances (most notably the HPA-Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenal Axis).  This is a complicated issue and in my brain-addled state, I hope that I'm making some sense.  I just want people to  ask themselves if they could possibly have any of these other issues because I do believe that all of mine are related and that they all need to be treated.  I'm still hopeful that finally eradicating the SIBO will have miraculous effects in the other areas.  I believe that this has gone on so long with me (4 1/2 years) that it has gotten very complicated and deeply entrenched, so I'm hoping that others realize what is happening with them much sooner than I have.  The longer it goes one, the more dysfunction occurs. In addition to treating al of this, I am also beginning an Ayurvedic Lifestyle to bring my body back into balance.  I am going to try Earthing, too.  There is a wonderful woman who I am following named Anna Holden.  I also follow the Low Histamine Chef and she is great, too.  The thing I like about Anna Holden is that she treats highly sensitive people (she also has SIBO).  We are the ones who seem to have these issues.  We are so sensitive to the world, to stress, to food, to chemicals, to our own feelings, to others feelings, etc. and we feel disharmony on a cellular level leading to physical and mental anguish.  Here is her website if anyone would like to read about her methods.  Much of it is realizing that you are such a sensitive person and feel deeper pain, sadness, etc. than the "normal" person, but we also feel deeper joy and can connect with the earth in a much more profound way.  Our negative experiences are more upsetting, but our positive experiences are more uplifting.  The key is to embrace it all and instead of looking at our sensitivity as a horrible burden, we can choose to look at it as an incredible gift.  Some of it is going back to a more simple way of life--people are really not made for this modern world and sensitive people get out of synch very easily with what's happening around us, all the noise, all the rush, all the violence, all the processed foods, all the competition, lack of nature, lack of true enjoyment and harmony.  And we feel it in our bodies and our brains.  Our genetics are for a more calm, natural life.  Pushing ourselves with this go-go world has done much harm to us.  Here is her website:  www.annaholden.com.  Well, maybe I've gotten a little carried away in this discussion, but I feel that these issues are definitely true for me and have added greatly to my health problems.  I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else can relate.  Truly, Elisabeth    

#184 thomasnotting

thomasnotting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

Hi Elisabeth,

Yea please let me know if Allergy ReLeaf helps you.

Firstly, get yourself at peace - just relax. Don't become overwhelmed or drive yourself insane - its very easy to lol!!

However at the same time, know what the major issues are - if any of them are life threatening, immediately see a doctor or the next doctor if your present one isn't helpful.

Secondly, realize that yes it is all connected - this is what is known as functional medicine or integrative medicine. Dr. Mark Hyman is a functional medicine doctor but he is super expensive. If you can, then go see an integrative or functional medicine doctor near you. They might be better able to make sense of your symptoms than you or I do. I have sent my mom to one recently for other reasons.

I believe I had SIBO too and I cured myself by trying Apple Cider Vinegar, AVOIDING sugar or sweets at all costs, avoid lentils also. Use Digestive Enzymes, Use Betain HCL with Pepsin. You also need to populate your gut with good flora (Mark Hyman tells what the right flora is)...But wait, just read Mark Hyman's blogs on IBS and maybe just watch this video too ()(http://drhyman.com/b...-without-drugs/). This was his first video I watched when I was curing my IBS, Leaky Gut syndrome stuff. Google for his blogs and house calls, he has a youtube channel too.

Yes, a bad gut severely messes up the brain. Dr. Theoharis Theoharides makes this medication called Neuroprotek for people who have Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD) (i.e. Histamine release) and brain damage due to oxidation. It is kinda expensive. But do check it out and read up on whether you need it or not. I didn't buy it because I have gotten my condition almost completely under control. I avoid meat, chicken, fish as I don't digest them well and then the mast cells go crazy. I drink zero sodium sparkling water - it helps to ease the stomach and helps with bowel movement if in the middle of the day I feel unwell due to MCAD. And if that doesn't work then I take out the Allergy ReLeaf pill. Oh and I eat lots of green and colorful veges and fruits. Fiber is so so necessary - natural suits me better. I found that flax seed powder instantly gave me an MCAD attack.

I also find eating early, regular exercise, fiber veges, and sleeping on time keeps things in control for me. If I sleep an hour later or wake up early - I get messed up. I think this is to with how long the food takes to travel down the digestive track. For me I think if its in a certain part of the digestive track, I get an MCAD attack, just an observation. I try to make a ton of observations.

You will have to work with a functional or integrative medicine doctor to slowly get things into order one by one - starting with your digestive system.

Let me know how things go! I know it will work out :)

#185 thomasnotting

thomasnotting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:44 AM

Sorry here is the link to Hyman's IBS video, you should watch it.

#186 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Thank you, Thomas.  That was a great video!  I received the ReLeaf last night and will test soon.  Anytime I test anything, I need to make sure my husband is around because I've had reactions to some things--ending up in the ER a few times.  But, I will let you know and I appreciate so much your information.  

My situation became much worse after I had that thunderclap headache.  My theory now is that massive headache stimulated the mast cell center in the menenges of my head, thereby releasing a huge amount of histamine (in addition to all the histamine that was already in there).  It's becoming more and more apparent that the SIBO and Histamine Intolerance is what is causing my problems, but that the other issues I mentioned before add to it.  I am in the middle of a massive re-do of my life and my stress level and how I handle situations.   I am slowly becoming more Ayurvedic--I can't do much at a time, as my Central Nervous System is almost completely destroyed, and any big more makes me even worse.  I'm pretty much housebound now.  I have always been an over-thinker, anxious, worrier type of person--but my brain function has always been fabulous--my best feature.  To lose this part of me is devastating.  I am a writer and was in the middle of a book series when this all went down and to not be able to think and to be so disabled in so many ways has rocked me to my core.   Thank you for saying that it will work out.  That gives me a lot of hope.  

I'll let you know how the ReLeaf goes.  If it helps, I can go onto trying the Allimax.  I am working with an Integrative, MD.  She is the one who confirmed SIBO after being ill for many years.  She thinks that once the SIBO is cured, the histamine issue will also diminish and, hopefully, go away completely.  I love this doctor.  After seeing over a dozen of the best neurologists, internists, etc., she has been a Godsend.    Even though I do have some stomach upset, most of my symptoms are neurological and cognitive (the head pressure is massive).  But, a lot of the neurological and cognitive issues get better after I can calm down my stomach and diminish the gas and histamine.  The more stress I feel, the more I seem to be making histamine--I can feel it happen.  So, I do actually believe that it is a gut issue after all (and this took me years to realize this), and possibly a mast-cell situation, but I'm hoping that curing the SIBO will calm this down, too.  After that, we can start rebuilding my health, because this has really taken a toll on me.  I've developed Dysautonomia (or maybe Dysautonomia is what cased the SIBO?), Adrenal Fatigue, MIgraines, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Vitamin Deficiencies, Peripheral Neuropathy, Panic Disorder, you name it--I'm probably forgetting a few.  I can only eat about 3 foods, all of which I have reactions to now.  I've tried enzymes and HCl, but unfortunately, I have a reaction to those, too.  I've also tried vitamin supplements to make myself healthier, but, again, a big reaction.  I think it's the leaky gut.  By the way, I also now have a reaction to salt; it seems to increase the histamine.  I researched this and found that if a person eats too much salt (and I don't eat much--I just really do it because my blood pressure is so low)--so if it's too much for the current potassium/water ration that's in the body, guess what is released?  Histamine!  So, after the SIBO is taken care of, I'll need to address this issue, too.  Everything seems to be related to everything else, the way a body "goes down", but I'm praying that once the "cures" take effect, those will little-by-little affect everything else and help the body to build up.  

Take care, and I'm so glad you're feeling better.  I so much appreciate your and everyone else's help on this site.  Truly, Elisabeth

#187 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

I am curious to know if any of the people on this website have a Vitamin D deficiency.  I do (13 ng) and have had a hard time getting it higher.  I have read that people with SIBO often do have a Vitamin D deficiency due to gut dysbiosis and nutrient-absorbing problems.  However, I have just read tonight that Vitamin D deficiency may be the CAUSE of gut flora problems.  Vitamin D keeps things in balance and keeps fungus, etc. out and bacteria where it is supposed to be.  I'm just wondering if Vitamin D is the whole answer to the starting point to balance everything out.  I cannot go out in the sun because heat causes my histamine issue to go wild.  Also, I have tried to take Vitamin D supplements and get a massive headache.  In my research into that, I have found out that if you get a headache when you take Vitamin D, then you have a magnesium deficiency.  I have tried taking magnesium and it sends my blood pressure plummeting.  It also makes my joints ache.  Then, I found out that if you have problems with magnesium, it could be because of another imbalance (potassium?-I can't remember now).  Anyway, I decided to put the raising of my Vitamin D on hold until the SIBO is eradicated, but maybe I should give it another round.  If I need a higher Vitamin D level to even start to balance my gut, I will try harder.  Perhaps the ReLeaf will help lower the histamine so that I can go outside and get some normal Vitamin D.  Anyway, just wondering about the Vitamin D level of all of you???  Maybe we're all low and that's the key!

#188 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:23 AM

Elisabeth, what are you eating? How does your diet look like?

#189 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Dear jaumeb,

Unfortunately, I am hardly eating anything!  It seems like everything gives me a problem.  When I first started the low-histamine diet, I was able to eat quite a bit.  It was very limited but doable.  Then, one by one, I started reacting to everything.  The main foods now that I eat are oatmeal, chicken, zucchini and butter.  And I do get reactions to those, too.  I find that I need to keep my weight at a minimal level and not eat too much at a time--small amounts every 3-4 hours and no eating after dinner to let the body digest and clear everything overnight.  Occasionally, I try other vegetables with varying results--sometimes I don't get much of a reaction; sometimes I do.  I try not to eat anything new within 4 days of eating it before.  Turkey is sometimes ok, too.   Every now and then, I can eat corn chips and an occasionally potato.  I have recently noticed that I am now reacting to salt, too, and have researched and found that if a person eats more salt than the body can handle with its current hydration/potassium balance, the salt releases histamine, which makes a person thirsty in its attempt to rebalance.  I drink so much that I do think my electrolytes are depleted.  It's not just food, though, that causes me histamine issues.  It seems like everything!  Outside pollen, indoor pets, dust and fragrance, if I get too hot (anything over 75 degrees starts it up--showers are especially bad), stress, thinking too much, too little sleep, pain--I have a lot of headaches, but even if I bump my knee I can feel an increase, too much light, too much noise, distressing news on TV, Mother Nature distress--the list goes on.  Also, while trying to find out what was wrong with me, I discovered that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, Stage 1.  This was a shock.  People with this are SUPER-SENSITIVE to everything--foods, chemicals, emotions, prone to anxiety and panic attacks--and this is a biological state.  Many people with this have a magnesium deficiency, so I'm trying to balance this as well.  It's very complicated.  Add, Adrenal Fatigue and Menopause--and you have a case for a melt-down.  Plus, at the time I crashed, I was writing a book with thousands of pages--take about stressing myself to the max.  Right now, I'm experimenting with an Ayurvedic Lifestyle.  The more you can calm your system down, the more foods you can eat without a reaction.  

Regarding the SIBO, it's a different reaction--mainly to carbs and sugars--which I rarely eat, but my body is so sensitive that it certainly knows when I do.  I'm on a combination of the Low-Histamine/Fast Tract Diet, but I found that the carbs are so low in the Fast Tract Diet that my muscles were starting to atrophy, so I had to add some back in.  With the SIBO reaction, I get so much unbelievable gas--my entire body and head gets filled that everything shuts down and it starts to panic.  Gas-X actually helps a lot to get some of this out.  I am also going to try the charcoal tablets that another kind poster suggested.

So, it depends on what your particular problem is as to what you think you can eat.  My doctor thinks that for some, but not all, that SIBO and Histamine Intolerance go hand in hand.  If we take care of the SIBO, the histamine should decrease.  Have you tested for SIBO?  If you do, make sure you test for both hydrogen and methane.  I'm "lucky" in that I tested positive for both--especially methane--it is off the chart. 

As Thomas mentioned, the low histamine chef is a good website.  She has gone through so much with the histamine issue, if you think you have this, and she has mentioned that she has/had SIBO, too.  She actually went to see Dr. Fuhrman, who is the doctor on the movie--I think it's called--Sick, Fat and Almost Dead--something like that.  It's about people with histamine problems.  I actually don't have the rash of histamine intolerance, but this is a good movie to watch.  Anyway, she and Dr. Fuhrman worked out a diet especially for her which is helping tremendously.  Here is her website:  lowhistaminechef.com.  She's a vegetarian as are some others on the ibs website.  I found that I couldn't do it because I'm so low in protein and many vegetarian foods are high histamine, but maybe once the SIBO is taken care of, I'll be able to do this more.  I'll be trying the ReLeaf as Thomas mentioned this weekend and, hopefully, my histamine load will decrease.  I'm crossing my fingers.

Question for Thomas:  Amazon sent me the Allergy ReLeaf System--it contains 2 bottles:  1 with AllerReLeaf Tablets and 1 with Allertonic Softgels.  It says to take both.  Did you take both?

Anyway, it's been a continual challenge and everyone is different.  It helps to keep a food diary at first and also to look at non-food histamine stressors.  If you can keep down the non-food, you'll be able to eat more types of food without going over your histamine level.  And, as I mentioned, please consider getting a SIBO test because you want to know exactly what you're dealing with.  There's no point on going on a SIBO diet if you don't need to because that very much limits your food choices.  However, you can try it out for awhile and see if you feel better just to get an idea.  But it's obvious in my case that staying on a Low- Histamine/SIBO diet is not the long-term answer.  I have developed many nutritional deficiencies.  However, I think we all do this to some degree because we feel that we have no choice, which is why this website is so important as we can all help each other.  All my best! 

#190 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

One more thing:  this is just me.  You may not be the same.  You may have just one issue, say with gluten or dairy or corn or one of a number of issues.  I seem to have a problem with everything--but it might be just one thing for you and you won't have to be so stringent.  Try one thing at a time and see how you react.  Sometimes reactions can take many days to show up.  I don't want to give people the impression that they have to delete everything!  I went one-by-one over the course of a few years, starting with gluten (yes, reaction), then dairy (yes, reaction), etc., but many people won't have this issue, so try things for yourself.  Also, include looking at any medications that you may be taking (but, don't stop without doctor approval!), just wonder about it.  In my case, I've had headaches almost all my life and I have taken Motrin on a regular basis.  Well, during this I have found out that Motrin (ibuprofen) can CAUSE SIBO/Histamine Intolerance/Leaky Gut and make it worse.  Unfortunately, I still need to take it as my headaches are astronomical sometimes, but eventually I hope to delete this from my system.  Same with coffee--sometimes I do drink this as it seems to help with the blood vessels in my head.  But, sometimes it makes it worse.  And, don't forget about stress.  Stress is a catalyst for much dysfunction.  I feel that I've had a very stressful life--sometimes I've wanted it because it gave me energy and kept me going--but eventually, everything just seemed to break down.  So, look at yourself and take it slow.  

#191 Elisabeth35372

Elisabeth35372

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry for posting so much!  I need to think of everything before I sit down to write.  But, I think it's important to note that many times low-stomach acid is the beginning culprit.  So look at this, too.  There are helps for this.  It's especially important in the digestion of protein.  Unfortunately, I can't take HCl because of my history with Motrin, but I have ordered Digestive Bitters which I'm going to try.  Also Apple Cider Vinegar has helped some people, as well as lemon juice.  However, these are high in histamine!  It goes full circle.    But, as mentioned in previous posts, if you can take HCl--read precautions--and/or Enzymes, they may be a great help to you and then you will be able to digest better and be able to eat more than I have been able to.  Take care!

#192 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

Elisabeth, I did many of the things you mention. I did an elimination diet in which I started with a single food and then added other foods one by one. I tested low for deaminoxidase (sp?) the histamine enzime, I checked the low histamine chef website ... Looking back I did many mistakes. I have not recovered yet and I don't know the solution. But I can tell you that being in a desperate position makes it easier to make mistakes.

I am now exploring the Paul Jaminet's concept of "safe starch" and I introduced potato, African yam (not sweet) and white rice over the last month. I suspect this can be a step on the right direction. Too early to say.

My point is that overly restricting diets are not without dangers, and now I suspect that my six years on the SCD (a diet without starches) didn't help me.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself. I can't use a computer and typing on a phone doesn't help. We'll stay in touch.

#193 LRHG

LRHG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

I'm glad to find this post but not happy to see others suffering with this.

I have brain symptoms due to gas including: fatigue, spacey feeling, shortness of breath, nervous/anxious feeling.

I do have SIBO and have a lot of burping.   The SIBO was diagnosed by culture of a duodenal aspirate.   One of them was prevotella which apparently is a profound gas producer

I have tried many antibiotics to treat the SIBO to no avail -rifaxamin, amoxicillin, neomycin.   Herbal remedies were also tried to no avail

What did help was : bactrim (temporarily), T3 (thyroid hormone) , low dose erythomycin (for motility).    I do have slightly slow motillity but not enough to cause the volume of burping that occurs everyday.

Things I'm looking at trying at now are: element diet. boulardii, reuteri and rhamanosus probiotics (these were shown to reduce prevotella in a study of bacterial vagninosis).   I also think it's worth looking to see if some of us have anatomical issues causing this gas buildup

I hope we can keep this thread open and investigate some more treatments.

#194 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

I am coming (very) late to the party here but would like to share my experience.

Fatigue has always been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. When I was in school (decades ago!) physical effort resulted in being "brain dead" for a few hours afterwards. I've also had diarrhea as far back as I can remember but it got much worse in my late teens. Cognitive dysfunction was through the roof, but I still managed to finish college with some effort. I was eventually diagnosed with both IBS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in my early 30's.

Fast forward a decade and I'm passing out some two hours after eating, and reliably so. Visited quite a few doctors, did a bunch of tests and, with the exception of one, they were all OK. The only test that showed a potential screw up was Genova's (Metametrix at the time) GI Effects. It showed I had a huge overgrowth of Morganella Morgani in my digestive system. This bacteria is usually present in small amounts and as such causes no problems. After a course of Cipro, the watery diarrhea was gone together with said bacteria. But all the typical CFS symptoms were still present. No more passing out, just terrible brain fog some time after meals.

A month or so ago, for whatever reason, I saw myself reading about intracranial hypertension. I had some of the symptoms but not all of them. But I was curious so I started digging deeper. I quickly found a study associating CFS with intracranial hypertension (Lumbar puncture, chronic fatigue syndrome and idiopathic intracranial hypertension: a cross-sectional study). Great, I finally had a potential explanation for my cognitive dysfunction! But what about passing out or that terrible brain fog sometime after eating?

I started researching a simple treatment for intracranial hypertension. Lumbar puncture was out of the question, thank you very much! It didn't take long to find acetazolamide as a potential treatment, as this drug inhibits the production of cerebro-spinal fluid. It is also a non-potassium preserving diuretic (bad!) and may cause metabolic acidosis (bad!) So what do I do? I order the drug!

While waiting for the drug to arrive, I continued reading about intracranial hypertension. For fun, I also decided to google "abdominal pressure intracranial pressure". My jaw dropped when I saw a bunch of results, one of them being "A proposed relationship between increased intra-abdominal, intrathoracic, and intracranial pressure". I was now waiting for the drug to arrive with a great deal of anticipation.

I took my first dosage of acetazolamide and 30 minutes later I started to feel "funny". It was as if a had a ton of bugs crawling all over me. Although unpleasant, I wasn't alarmed as by now I was quite familiar with the potential side effects. After four or five days on the drug, I realized that I was no longer experiencing that terrible postprandial brain fog. Maybe just a little but nothing compared to what I experienced before.

I've been on acetazolamide for a couple of weeks now and the good effect persists. I'm taking the lowest dosage available so I have enough for a couple more months. Before then, though, I plan to go to a neurologist with my findings to make my insurance company pay for the drug!

PS. If you decide to go this route, please talk to your doctor first. Acetazolamide is potentially dangerous and may kill you. You've been warned!

#195 LRHG

LRHG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

That's extremely interesting Nanobug.    But do you thnk the solution in the long run is to relieve the abdominal pressure - and - do you have intrabdominal pressure ?

PS. If you decide to go this route, please talk to your doctor first. Acetazolamide is potentially dangerous and may kill you. You've been warned!

#196 Nanobug

Nanobug

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

That's extremely interesting Nanobug.    But do you thnk the solution in the long run is to relieve the abdominal pressure - and - do you have intrabdominal pressure ?

I most definitely have increased intra-abdominal pressure. There are situations when my abdomen is so distended that it gets hard as a rock. When my life partner was pregnant, she never had such a pronounced belly. Is it excessive amounts of gas? Is it edema? I don't know for sure but I lean towards edema given that I don't pass all that much gas. It also appears to be related to my gastritis: the worse it is, the biggest the distension. And a few hours after I eat and food gets out of my stomach, things improve dramatically. If it is edema, it is possible that the diuretic action of acetazolamide is helping as well. It is on my TODO list to try just a simple diuretic and see what happens.

Just yesterday, I found out that I have a mild case of hypervitaminosis A. I don't supplement with any kind of pre-formed vitamin A so I am at a loss to explain the result. The funny thing is that hypervitaminosis A is strongly associated with intracranial hypertension (Serum vitamin A concentration is elevated in idiopathic intracranial hypertension).

#197 ruinedlife

ruinedlife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Nanobug, you are definitely on to something!

• The brain fog always coincides with a feeling of abdominal pressure which is NOT just gas. Even physical movements which trigger my abdominal muscles seem to cause "internal" symptoms (digestive) for me! Doctors tell me it's impossible, but, pardon the details, if I do a wrong move while exercising (I feel a lower abdominal sprain), I can wind up constipated for days, with a nervous/twitchy feeling when I try to go.

• My problems worsened 10x since I took Accutane, which is isotretinoin, a synthetic form of Vitamin A. In fact, Accutane's regular dosing is an overdose of Vitamin A.

• I developed intracranial hypertension after Accutane, which was managed with diuretics and steroids.

The only thing that doesn't fit is that I feel I already had the condition prior to taking Accutane, and it was terrible. I was allergic to various things. I remember when I went to school, I felt like my sinuses were irritated and swollen and it was affecting my brain somehow. I would struggle to find words after eating certain (most!) foods and I was too young to realize that I needed to do an elimination diet.

It's now been 10 years post-Accutane. Ever since I took Accutane, the problem flared up.

So we know that Vitamin A amplifies this phenomenon. But what is the phenomenon? That's unfortunately a mystery still. I'd say maybe 90% of foods cause symptoms for me now after Accutane. It was probably around 50-60% of foods prior to Accutane. What could this be? sad.png

#198 sun_arvind

sun_arvind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:54 AM

Dear Sir

I was undergoing mind fogginess, eye irritation etc.....

All the symptoms refers to Gas in your stomach. It pressurizes one of the nerve leading to brain. 

Best medicine with no side effects is "TRIPHALA " , its ayurvedic tablets which has no side effects. Dont waste your time in scan, allopathic drugs etc. This is available in India for just 3usd. I had same trouble, after taking this i am relaxed and no issues at all. 

"TRIPHALA" Is made out of 3 herbal fruits. Daily take 2 tablet in the morning and 2 in the night. This relives entire gas from your stomach and regularise bowel moment. Sure this TRIPHALA will help you come out of brain foggy, Nothing wriong in trying where there is no side effects. 

BEST OF LUCK 

in search engine type " TRIPHALA" benefits. 

#199 sun_arvind

sun_arvind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

Dear Sir

Dont worry. You will be releived of your pain soon. GOD IS THERE. You have tried so many scans , medicines etc. 

Nothing seems to work. Ayurveda is practised in INDIA for the past 10,000 years. It has no side effects, Immediate relief you get. 

I was undergoing mind fogginess, eye irritation etc.....

All the symptoms refers to Gas in your stomach. It pressurizes one of the nerve leading to brain. 

Best medicine with no side effects is "TRIPHALA " , its ayurvedic tablets which has no side effects. Dont waste your time in scan, allopathic drugs etc. This is available in India for just 3usd. I had same trouble, after taking this i am relaxed and no issues at all. 

"TRIPHALA" Is made out of 3 herbal fruits. Daily take 2 tablet in the morning and 2 in the night. This relives entire gas from your stomach and regularise bowel moment. Sure this TRIPHALA will help you come out of brain foggy, Nothing wriong in trying where there is no side effects. 

BEST OF LUCK 

in search engine type " TRIPHALA" benefits. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here