Any suggestions on questions to ask my new doctor - Dealing with Relationships - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Any suggestions on questions to ask my new doctor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 islandgirl

islandgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Advertisement
I am going to the doctor soon. I want to be able to explain my situation clearly, and in a manner that will hopefully get him to take it seriously & want to help me. Any suggestions?

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:06 AM

Doctors are very difficult when it comes to taking IBS seriously, especially those whom aren't gasterocologists. (Forgive me for butchering that.) If you're going to see your regular doctor, I'd first start off by telling him all your symptoms down to how often you experience pain, some things that cause it, etc. Second, if he isn't taking you serious already, I would just flat out tell him "I don't think you're taking me seriously, this is effecting my day-to-day life and I need help for it. If you can't help me, I'll go to someone who can." or something similar. I know that may seem a little rude, but that's just how I would handle it. Just look at it this way. He's your doctor and is obligated to help you as best as he can, and if he isn't capable of doing it, his responsibility is to help you find someone who can help you. If he can't do any of those things, he doesn't deserve your money.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

I think the problem with doctors is that they have spent so much time training and learning what is that they are unable to comprehend what might be. In other words, they see everything in terms of what science already knows and not in terms of what science hasn't found out yet.I found the book "The Divided Mind" by John Sarno to be very helpful, because it validated what I was experiencing rather than trying to pretend the symptoms don't exist (I've had IBS/GERD/chronic hunger pangs for over four years). Unllike most doctors, Sarno is not afraid to admit he doesn't know the exact physical mechanism that causes certain symptoms, but he does hypothesize psychological reasons for why these symptoms occur. By hypothesizing psychological reasons for the symptoms he does not, however, say they have no physical cause. Instead, he argues that psychological pain triggers some as-yet undiscovered physical mechanism that causes the pain.I found this book to be more helpful than any doctor I have seen.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here