Survived a week at Disney World with IBS-D! - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Survived a week at Disney World with IBS-D!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Advertisement
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been reading the forum for a few years now. A little background - Had all the fun test and was diagnosed with IBS-D 3 years ago in my early 30's and have been trying to deal with it since. Ive had numerous accidents and close calls which have made my life very difficult espeacially work and traveling. Since getting married 5 years ago, I haven't been on any kind of trip because of my IBS Fears (I never even took a honeymoon). Anyways, I decided that I can't change having IBS and that I still need to live my life to the fullest so my wife & I took a trip to see the mouse and I survived.We flew to Florida from Michigan and booked a direct flight (2 hours) to lessen flight and airport time. I took my usual 3 immodium and also ate very little food the night before and the day of the flights (to & from). I also did something I never thought I could do, and that was to wear depends. Although it was very hard to do at first (wear a diaper), I did get use to them (you forget you have one on after a while) and they did provide me with the extra security since I didn't worry about having an accident as much. I was extremely worried someone could tell what I was wearing, but after a while you get over that fear and realise no one has a clue. Traveling went fine, but I did have a couple of accidents during the vacation and was glad I had protection on. I tried my best to eat well, but at disney there is limited choices for healthy food in the parks, so I ate a few bad things that probably set off my IBS. Sometimes you are in lines for a long time or on an attraction, so restrooms aren't always available immediately! Anyways, my point is that we had a really great time and we're already planning another trip. Dealing with IBS isn't easy, but it is not the end of the world. With a little planning and management you can do almost anything including taking a vacation. I hope to some day not have IBS, but until that happens, this was a big achievement for me and I wanted to share this with everyone. Happy Holidays!

#2 Lillett

Lillett

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:45 AM

That's great and welcome!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. It sounds like you went prepared! Good for you for not letting IBS stop you from having fun!

#4 Paulmcand

Paulmcand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Awesome! I going in November and I went feb 2011 which was my first time post ibs. A great help can be the Disboards. They have people who post about special food and secret bathrooms and all sorts of great stuff about the parks.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here