Chronic Appendicitis - Page 3 - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Chronic Appendicitis

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 jotenko

jotenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the great information ...wow what does it take to find a dr that will remove your appendix ???? All the sophisticated equipment and they still cannot find anything wrong.Wow I have flu like symptoms everyday or every other day for 10 months, nausea, dry heaves fever, chills and rash on my jawline. I had all the blood work 3 parasite checks .. I was told by the ND that you may need 10 parasite check because parasite hide in organs so they found it takes ten checks to verification. I will skip the 10 checks and just go for the parasite formula ...I had endoscopy and colonscopy, 2 CT scans, barium swallow the only test is postiive it SIBO but I think it is caused by chronic appendicitis. I'm going to the chinese med /acupunctuist since I cannot find anyone that will remove my appendix next best thing is to find someone to give you an ancient formula that treats it I figure they had thousands of years of practice to perfection...in terms of formulating illness and looking at cures in chinese medicine My friend had a issue with rash when all over town to see dermatologist had it for years went to chinese medicine once and poof she took this formula and it was gone I sure hope that is what happens to me I'm just finishing 11 days of SUPRAX for kidney infection which is another thing I think the pus and bacteria is making my whole system SICK this is enough to make you crazy because it begins to consume your entire life.

Hello my friend.Right now I'm on waiting list to go under surgery. Maybe 3 months from now. I went to a medical appointment and I was scheduled for intervention.How is your situation?

#42 FONDUE

FONDUE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

My story is an unbelievable one, became sick in oct 2011. Ended up in the ER 4 times first two for my symptoms and the other two times due to the reaction to the medication the gave me. Went to the ER I had low grade fever, chills, abdoman pressure, slight rash on my jawline. They found nothing. The did an CT scan, then I had colonscopy endoscopy, parasite check 3x , blood work up twice, Ct scan with contrast, Barium swallow with follow through. A family member is a cancer surgeon and he strongly suggested a Barium enema to detect an appedicitis ...but my doctor for some reason kept insisiting on barium swallow regardless of what I said and so she said the barium swallow with follow through would detect it! It did not. The radiation exposure is another concern. Finally I went to ND he diagnosed me with SIBO, I felt happy, but my situation was not resolved . I was tested for H pylori negative and then again few months later H pylori was positive, then eight day later by infectious disease doctore H pylori negative! How accurate is testing? Meanwhile, my quality of life deteriored my friend said to me. " it is like you've had chemotherapy"I could not drive I felt flu like symptoms, dizzy, weight loss, nauseous, abdomen pressure chills, dry heaves, total exhausion at times. tingling in hand and feet, stiff neck. Then I had a bladder infection, rash on face, a kidney infection, sinus infection, ear infection apparently the inner ear gets swollen, due too many toxin in the blood! Inner or middle ear was causing dizziness thank God for hydrogen peroxide 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide in the ear. Ear infection was causing me loss my balance. I literally thought I was going to die! I'm lucky I only had a volunteer type of job. Prior to this we would run in the park, I would do yoga and meditation and vegetarian who eats health food! If we went anywhere I had to have air conditioning blowing on my face, and body, I've never cared for A/C unless it is in the 90's . We no longer planned our days because my illness was unpredictable. The surgeon in my family one day I guess " we just wait until in declares itself." Yeah, right! The doctors were stumped. I got sicker and sicker. One night I began to have pain where my appendix is located and now it is getting worse it is waking my up out my sleep. So now I realize that it has most likely been my appendix which I had suspected earlier. I think it is slowly leaking poison into my system just enough to go undetected by the doctor and now that there actual pain that is coming and goes in that exact area, it is chronic appendicitis, I had a eleven doctors, so now I sought out the one that seemed to be most proactive, caring, and coolest which was my OBGYN and she will be the open to to a ultrasound this week to determine if in fact my appendix. If not I will push my GI dr for an elective surgery which scares me in itself, but I have to no choice left.

#43 jotenko

jotenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

My story is an unbelievable one, became sick in oct 2011. Ended up in the ER 4 times first two for my symptoms and the other two times due to the reaction to the medication the gave me. Went to the ER I had low grade fever, chills, abdoman pressure, slight rash on my jawline. They found nothing. The did an CT scan, then I had colonscopy endoscopy, parasite check 3x , blood work up twice, Ct scan with contrast, Barium swallow with follow through. A family member is a cancer surgeon and he strongly suggested a Barium enema to detect an appedicitis ...but my doctor for some reason kept insisiting on barium swallow regardless of what I said and so she said the barium swallow with follow through would detect it! It did not. The radiation exposure is another concern. Finally I went to ND he diagnosed me with SIBO, I felt happy, but my situation was not resolved . I was tested for H pylori negative and then again few months later H pylori was positive, then eight day later by infectious disease doctore H pylori negative! How accurate is testing? Meanwhile, my quality of life deteriored my friend said to me. " it is like you've had chemotherapy"I could not drive I felt flu like symptoms, dizzy, weight loss, nauseous, abdomen pressure chills, dry heaves, total exhausion at times. tingling in hand and feet, stiff neck. Then I had a bladder infection, rash on face, a kidney infection, sinus infection, ear infection apparently the inner ear gets swollen, due too many toxin in the blood! Inner or middle ear was causing dizziness thank God for hydrogen peroxide 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide in the ear. Ear infection was causing me loss my balance. I literally thought I was going to die! I'm lucky I only had a volunteer type of job. Prior to this we would run in the park, I would do yoga and meditation and vegetarian who eats health food! If we went anywhere I had to have air conditioning blowing on my face, and body, I've never cared for A/C unless it is in the 90's . We no longer planned our days because my illness was unpredictable. The surgeon in my family one day I guess " we just wait until in declares itself." Yeah, right! The doctors were stumped. I got sicker and sicker. One night I began to have pain where my appendix is located and now it is getting worse it is waking my up out my sleep. So now I realize that it has most likely been my appendix which I had suspected earlier. I think it is slowly leaking poison into my system just enough to go undetected by the doctor and now that there actual pain that is coming and goes in that exact area, it is chronic appendicitis, I had a eleven doctors, so now I sought out the one that seemed to be most proactive, caring, and coolest which was my OBGYN and she will be the open to to a ultrasound this week to determine if in fact my appendix. If not I will push my GI dr for an elective surgery which scares me in itself, but I have to no choice left.

I can relate to most of the story.I've had spasms in my appendix area for YEARS and YEARS. Eventually I began to feel like you.I admit also I gave a good laugh at the H pylori testing accuracy.Please, check your PMs. Im waiting your reply in there.

#44 FONDUE

FONDUE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

This is what I've learned that a CT SCAN is not is not always helpful for really thin people and children because you need extra body fat, because more fat allows better visualization of tissues in the abdomen! So sometimes the CT can't help because you can't see the appendix! I wonder why my dr ordered a CT Scan I guess my dr isn't aware of this important face .... my next request will be a barium enema.

#45 SLW

SLW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

This is what I've learned that a CT SCAN is not is not always helpful for really thin people and children because you need extra body fat, because more fat allows better visualization of tissues in the abdomen! So sometimes the CT can't help because you can't see the appendix! I wonder why my dr ordered a CT Scan I guess my dr isn't aware of this important face .... my next request will be a barium enema.

Thanks for sharing this information - a CT scan was going to be my next step; however I only weigh 40kg so am quite thin! Where did you find out that it didn't work as well for thin people from? How have you been going in your battle for answers? My pain keeps getting worse - Dr admits that it could either be a grumbling appendix or IBS but says there is nothing he can do unless it gets worse. I don't know how much worse it has to get before someone takes me seriously. I asked for surgery but he wouldn't refer me :( I'm starting to lose all faith in the medical system. They should not diagnose a patient with IBS unless all other possible medical conditions have been ruled out!

#46 jotenko

jotenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for sharing this information - a CT scan was going to be my next step; however I only weigh 40kg so am quite thin! Where did you find out that it didn't work as well for thin people from? How have you been going in your battle for answers? My pain keeps getting worse - Dr admits that it could either be a grumbling appendix or IBS but says there is nothing he can do unless it gets worse. I don't know how much worse it has to get before someone takes me seriously. I asked for surgery but he wouldn't refer me :( I'm starting to lose all faith in the medical system. They should not diagnose a patient with IBS unless all other possible medical conditions have been ruled out!

If you feel you have CA, don't stop pushing on!

#47 FONDUE

FONDUE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hello, I basically put in CT sCAN and it took me to a site where they discussed CT SCAN pros/cons The doctors will swear that CT scan is the best. Just so you know there are many cases where people suffer and suffer finally the some smart dr says okay let's just take out your appendix and see what happens. And all the suffering ends

#48 jotenko

jotenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Hello FONDUE and SW, how are your situations?

I'm waiting any day for the OK of my ensurance company to go under surgery.

My last days have been terrible, I feel like I spent 2 months in Chernobyl and have all this kind of strange symptoms like fainting and vertigos.

I think this is due to my body being filled with waste due to the infection.

God.

#49 jotenko

jotenko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello!

I'm very happy to say that I am now recovering from an laparoscopic apendectomy, which I went under last tuesday.

Right now I feel pretty well, still a little bit sore :)

#50 Erica Campbell

Erica Campbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

wow i dont feel soo alone now.. ive had abdominal pain for 2 years always on my right side and usualy around the area in which the appedix is in ive had every test possibe... at first i was sent to the ER for what they though was appendicitis but i had ruptured 2 ovarian cysts, since then ive been to gyno, family drs a different gyno and no luck. the 2nd dr though it was endomitirosis and put me on hormons but its not helping.. for the past week ive had pain in my lower back and upper thigh, no nausea or fever but tonight i was feeling weird after dinner, sometimes when trying to go to the br it hurts (not urine)  im getting fustrated at the fact that no matter who i go to ive found no help.. tonight the pain is like a buring and my lower back and thigh is doing the same, they also had me stay away from dairy which didnt do anything and ruled out milk intolerance.. any ideas...

#51 napoleonwrasse

napoleonwrasse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I have had chronic appendicitis. And actually it did take surgery to fix the problem.  I was in and out of the hospital for 2.5 months before they finally removed it. When they did remove it looked normal. The pathology report came back as acute appendicitis even though I was way passed the 4 day mark. I finally asked my OBGYN to take it out when she was removing endometriosis. My symptoms were classic appendicitis. Pain worse with releasing not pushing, jumping, lifting, etc. I also had nausea and it was the lower right side. I felt immediate relief when I woke up in recovery.   

I disagree that the symptoms are different. If you truly have appendicitis it appears in one way and one way only. There also (according to my doctor) is a chance it could rupture at any time even passed the usual 4 day mark. As for antibiotic treatment, it didn't work for me. The only fix was removing it. I knew the moment I needed to be treated, I was taken to the ED five days after it started. I probably should have gone day 1, but I hate hospitals and fortunately have a high pain tolerance from other conditions. 

That's just my take on it from what it was like having it and what my doctors have said. 

#52 amyd

amyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I had chronic appendicitis 12 years ago - or I should say 12 years ago I finally had it removed.  My symptoms were an overall feeling of being sick, intense pain that would cover my entire abdomen and slowly localize to the lower right side.  The most memorable symptom was when lifting my right leg, it would feel like I was squishing my guts or something.  It would hurt, but not intensely at first, it was just a very uncomfortable feeling of something being squished, and it made me nauseous.  I had this for years, went to several doctors, and had many tests run.  Only one doctor suspected my appendix, and she called it a Smouldering Appendix.  The internist I was referred to laughed me out of the exam room, and told me to go see my gyn, you either had appendicitis, or not.

This pain would come around 2-3 times a year, and I lived with it probably about 4 years.  Then, I don't know if the last time it was just too much, but I went to the ER that night (instead of waiting to make an appointment with my doctor the next day).  I was always worried I wasn't "sick enough" to go to the ER.  I didn't have a fever, and my blood work came back elevated, but not appendicitis high.  They did a pelvic, even though I'd recently had one, and they did an ultrasound.  It was decided after the ultrasound that the appendix looked slightly enlarged, and they'd go ahead and remove it. 

Even the surgeon wasn't completely sure when he removed it, that I had appendicitis.  It was only after disection did they give the final diagnosis, as it was necrotic on the inside.  My blood count would elevate for a few days, then go back down, and usually by the time I managed an appointment with my PCP, things would begin to look normal again.

I haven't had the pain since.  I still have IBS, I still get the cramps and diarrhea, but I don't have the intense pain that would only come a few times a year, and the specific feeling when lifting my right leg.

I hope this helps somebody - chronic, smouldering, cyclic, or whatever you want to call it, appendicitis is real.  If you suspect you have it, don't worry about looking like a hypochondriac, or worry that you're just not sick enough - go to the ER while the pain is occurring.

#53 Christi Armstrong

Christi Armstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

I have to say that it is a relief to find this forum. I have recently been informed that I have to have a hysterectomy as well as having my appendix removed( due to chronic appendicitis). I am so frustrated with the entire process. At some point it was said that my gyn should be able to do both surgeries only to find that it will involve my gyn and a general surgeon. I have lived with the pain of chronic peptic ulcers for many years and have been able to control it with my diet. I also suffer as many of you do with IBS. I know the difference in the pain that manifest from each. I was on a 5 hour drive home when mine began and I thought that maybe I had eaten something that set off either my ulcers or my IBS. That is until the pain began to worsen. Once arriving home I phoned my doctor the next day for an appointment only to go thru a barrage of testing(blood work, sonos, the whole 9 yards). It took less then a week for her to call me back into office (worried me since normally it takes up to two weeks for results) to inform me that my appendix is enlarged and that I needed to see my gyno because it appeared that I had developed cysts. Upon going to my gyno I was informed that a prior surgery had not cured the "female problem" and I would have to undergo a hysterectomy and that I would need to involve a general surgeon for my appendix problem. Now after visit both, I am left waiting until September for them to be able to coordinate schedules. This is now 2 months later and I still have another 2 months to wait. I am a stay at home mom and have been unable to enjoy this time with my children. I feel like I am not being all I can be for them because half of my life is spent in the fetal position praying for relief. There are many days that I don't even make it out of my house because it all seems to trigger my IBS (diarrhea), so needless to say I have little appetite or energy.

Anyone know of a temporary relief or solution? Would love to enjoy the rest of summer break with them having fun!

#54 Lisa Birkner

Lisa Birkner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Unless you have had chronic appendicitis, you should not be making a report on it telling people faulse answers. I had chronic appendicitus for years, I lived in hell. Gas would double me over, stool at that area would to. All tests came back negative. The pain was severe. Constipation, a lot of mucus, pain after intercourse, bloating. I was a train wreck, couldn't walk anymore due to the pain. A surgion from Temple University removed my pink, healthy looking appendix 12 years ago, I have been pain free since. Since I have had multiple people contact me with the same thing on facebook. Each was a woman, and each was better after their appendix was removed.

#55 Christi Armstrong

Christi Armstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Unless you have had chronic appendicitis, you should not be making a report on it telling people faulse answers. I had chronic appendicitus for years, I lived in hell. Gas would double me over, stool at that area would to. All tests came back negative. The pain was severe. Constipation, a lot of mucus, pain after intercourse, bloating. I was a train wreck, couldn't walk anymore due to the pain. A surgion from Temple University removed my pink, healthy looking appendix 12 years ago, I have been pain free since. Since I have had multiple people contact me with the same thing on facebook. Each was a woman, and each was better after their appendix was removed.

I assure you that I am not falsely reporting on the issue that I had. I have undergone surgery since my last posting. I no longer go thru the daily "hell". Many things have changed for me health wise since having both surgeries.

I am sure that you did not mean offense in your statement, but for all of us that have lived with it are well aware of what it does to you and how horrible you feel. Much less the pain that you go thru. I am happy that you have had your issue corrected and now live a healthy, pain free life. :)

#56 Lawk

Lawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I had this in 2011. (chronic appendicits). I basically had upper right adominal pain, bloating, and generally feeling ill + occasional stabbing pain. I went to the doctors multiple times, and even admitted to hospital, but no diagnosis, went on for 3 months.

When I visited my dad in Germany I had another episode of this and went to the hospital again, after 2 days of tests they took my appendix out and I never had those symptoms again :)

#57 Lisa Birkner

Lisa Birkner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

Sorry Christy, I didn't mean that towards you. It was the doctors report that annoyed me.

#58 Lisa Birkner

Lisa Birkner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:59 AM

I am so very happy that there a few good doctors that believe in it. I wish there were more educated doctors out there. I don't want anyone to suffer the way I did. Plus I was labeled a drug seeker and nuts until my appendix was removed and the pain was gone. I didn't mean to offend any body besides the doctors statement. I appoligise if I offended any of you. Doctors just get me so damn mad anymore. If they cant find out what's wrong they are so quick to label you.

#59 Lisa Birkner

Lisa Birkner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

Please except my apology. Christi. I would never attack or say Anthony mean to any of you. Its the doctors statement that had me red with anger. Next time I need to address who I'm speaking to to avoid upsetting others. I wish you well, and pray you get the answers you need.

#60 Christi Armstrong

Christi Armstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

It's all good, Lisa. Sometimes it isn't what we say, but more how we say it. Your apology is not needed. My response was more of a reminder to all that this is a very sensitive subject since there are many that believe it is mythical. After the pain that I endured I can say with 100% absolute! that it does exist. My general surgeon actually chuckled at me when we were discussing the topic. He was the one that educated me on chronic appendicitis. All I knew before then was that my appendix was enlarged and it was emensely painful! I feel for anyone who ever has to go thru this. I feel for you having to endure years of this torture. I am glad that it was finally pinpointed and you are no longer living a life of misery. :)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here