Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.... I have had IBS since I was about ten years old... Now I am twelve. It is NOT fun thing to have. I have like spazz attacks everytime I have REALLY bad tummy aches or diarrhea. I had (and may still have) "Functional Stool Retention" where I was contstapted all the time, and now I have IBS. I feel so alone and different then anyone else. When people say their stomache hurts I think "Well, it definitly isn't as bad as what I go through!" That sounds rude, I know...... but I feel like no one knows what I go through... except for other people with IBS may.I need to learn how except the pain when I feel terrible and now FREAK OUT. I also need to learn how to not feel so alone. Maybe there is an organization out there that has pen-pals, where people with IBS write to eachother! Ha!It's hard for me since I am still pretty young, and I will most likely have all this pain when I am older. But the good new is: as I get older there will be more medicines and ways to help IBS.I know millions of people have IBS, and some of them may just know what I am going through.You can e-mail if you have questions or comments.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This bulletin board has a pen-pal section. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=6 There is also a forum especially for young adults. They might make you feel less "alone". I developed IBS in my late twenties, so I can only imagine what it must be like coping with IBS on top of all the other stresses and pressures of growing up.There's lots of information on this site, such as diet modification, lifestyle changes (increasing exercise, etc) which could help your symptoms.My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! You made me feel better! I will check out that pen-pal section.I hate feeling so different and weird. Right now I am sitting at my computer with a hot water bottle on my tummy. I am having a sharp pain. Sometimes the pains I go through are terrible. Any body have any tips, advise, words of wisdom, comments, questions, or anything to say at all... please post it or e-mail me.I feel better knowing other people know what I go through (i hope that doesn't sound selfish)

·
Registered
501 Posts
A problem shared is a problem halved. (Old Proverb)I used to get sharp pain, I think from gas (although it was hard to tell and you never believed gas could be responsible for the pain as it felt more like a knife in your gut !). I read several books on the the effect your diet could have on your digestive system, and made several changes which have improved my symptoms immenseley.Although I thought I was eating pretty healthy beforehand, I started reading the fat content of some of the food I had been consuming - some up to 40% fat !! So I now eat a really low fat diet, I have eliminated dairy (as I have been tested for lactose intolerance) and am careful to eat indigestible fibre foods (such as skin on fruit and vegetables, raw celery, etc) only after I have eaten IBS safe foods. I don't have coffee, (even decaf and tea can be a trigger), or chocolate (high in fat) and try and keep my fat intake below 15%.Immediately after these changes I stopped getting painful gas, and feel pain from my symptoms, just occasional discomfort and diarrhea. Ask your doctor to refer you to someone who can test you for food allergies and intolerances, so you can find out if there is anything you should avoid.I also started taking acidophilous tablets to increase the good bacteria in my digestive system, and Omega 3 tablets (fish oil) which the modern western diet is often deficient in. I now suffer very rarely from diarrhea (usually when I cheat and indulge in a "trigger food !" which I regret later).There are lots of supplements that IBS sufferers have found to help relieve their symptoms. As you are still growing I would definitely consult a professional before taking supplements, and supplements can only help where your diet is lacking in that vitamin or mineral.Be aware though that some doctors will just prescribe medications and will just recommend a "balanced diet" rather than avoidance of certain foods, but I do not want to rely on preventative medications for the rest of my life, so have tried to identify my symptom triggers and eliminate the problem.My advice would be to read read read, and try one thing at a time (otherwise you won't know what it is that worked !) and hopefully soon you will be on your road to controlling your symptoms.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Eating several small meals rather than 3 big meals can also help. Try to make sure your stomach is never completely empty for a couple of days and see if that helps.Fibre will help diarrhea IBS, but it needs to be soluble fibre. This website explains the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre ../diet/fiber1.asp and lists safe foods and trigger foods. However it also claims you can have as much sugar as you want, and some IBS sufferers cannot eat sugar. The writer also suggests you don't need calcium for strong bones. With everything you read, keep an open mind and try and find a couple of sources that say the same thing.Basically the important thing is to work out what works and doesn't work for YOU !Good luck, and don't give up !

·
Registered
501 Posts
One other thing ! Asprin and Ibuprofen (Advil, etc) have also been found to trigger IBS symptoms.So although it is tempting it is best not to use these for IBS pain ! as it can just make it worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I am 13 and found out a year ago that I have the symtoms of IBS. I get diareah and have acid reflux a lot. My doctor told me that one in 5 people have IBS, some have it bad while others have it mild and never say anything about it. Even though the statistics say many people have it, sometimes I feel really alone and embarassed. I feel like iBS runs my life! I know what you are going through, and I hope that you get better over time. : )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you thank you! You all are wonderful! Has anyone here ever used "Magnaseum Citrate" (I have no clue how to spell it). Well, I have taken it three times. I am taking it once more with "Senocote" (can't spell that either)... It makes you have non-stop direhha (VERY LIQUIDY) and clears you out if you are "backed up"... The Senocote has given me very bad cramps.... If anyone has good things to say about these two things I would love it! I am nervous to do it for the fourth time...I have to do it before because I was so backed up, my colin was stretched out three times the size it is suppose to be.I am sick now ... possibily with strep, so I am not doing it this second. If anybody else has anything else to say that would be great

·
Registered
155 Posts
SH&DR Please dont take Senocote. It comes from a very strong purgative plant called Senna. It along with Cascara & other purgatives irritate the bowel & cause it to move in un-natural ways that will give you pain. In desperation to overcome constipation when I was a teenager, I too, took all of these "laxatives" ,& as with drugs & alcohol I ended up taking more & more to get the same results until the gut became so used to them it wouldnt work anymore. None of us want that to happen to you! There are some natural things available which may help to you get better, & as Tropigal says you may have to give up certain things that you love to eat. Some people cannot eat milk products which unfortunately includes Ice cream, & milk chocolate, & cheese. If you feel worse after eating or drinking any of these foods or even after a milkshake ,you are probably, like many of us lactose(milk sugar) intolerant. There are substitutes tho, (they take time to get used to),such as Soymilk, rice milk, there is also lactose free milk available too. There are also some tablets called Lactaid which lessen the effects if you cannot resist an icecream once in a while.There are also very natural ways to make your poor tummy work properly. If you can train yourself to drink lots of water ,& eat plenty of raw fruit every day you will start to notice a difference. In the local Health store you will find a natural product called PSYLLIUM HUSKS, & a tea spoonfull scattered over your cereal or toast every morning helps your colon have something bulky to work on, & get your tummy movements back to normal.Because of what you have described about your colon being stretched ,I would say it is pretty upset about the ordeal, & may need something to soothe the lining. So I dont know if you have ever heard of SLIPPERY ELM, but it comes in a powder, is very nutritious (Native American Indians ate it),& you can also find it an the Health store. Each heaped teaspoon mixed to a paste with a little milk (or substitute) then mixed with hot water, & maybe a little honey willsoothe your whole digestive system from your "Entry" to your "exit" for up to 36 hrs. Do keep posting on your progress as we have other things that may help. Good luck ,Dave.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Magnesium (an osmotic agent) is much safer than senna and cascara. I don't know the dose in the magensium citrate you are taking (sounds like one of the bowel prep forumlations?? which might be a pretty large dose) but 400-750 mgs of magnesium supplements (usually Mag oxide is what people take) each day can sometimes keep things moving so you don't need to do a big clean out.For very occasional use you can use a stimulatory laxative (senna or cascara) but we are talking like once or twice a month, and I would avoid adding much osmotic on top of it...if you over do the laxatives you can dehydrate yourself.K.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gownowoften/ Dave : I am not lactose and tolerant I have taken the test about two times before. Everyone:I took the Sena-C ( same as Senocote, but possibly not as strog... yet I have had Senocote before) The Sena-C was reccomended by my doctor, so I have to say I think I should take it. It also worked for me. It only gave me a couple of cramps right before my first one or two bowl movements. And it only made me make two or three... I think because the Magnesium "cleared me out" and I wasn't so backed up. My colon hasn't been strectched out for a while Dave.You all are wonderful! I had an IBS attack this morning and was late for school... but then I got better... I hate it when that happens!Any other ideas.... I love them all! You guys are the best!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I completely understand what it is like to be twelve with IBS. I have had IBS since I was seven, and can remember very well missing school because of attacks, and always feeling alone and different. I am now 18, but over the years I have learned to manage my diet so I don't have to take any drugs and my attacks have become less frequent. five years ago I gave up chocolate and I found this made the biggest difference in my life. I had much fewer attacks and I felt better all around. I have also given up milk and beef too, which have also made a huge difference. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey 'shopping and dropping', it sucks having IBS eh? I am unsure how long I've had it, but I dare say I've had it for a long time, much farther than when it was diagnosed. In fact, I was only diagnosed this past summer...finally a name to the suffering and problems I had been having for a long time! People would tell me it was just stress or you know, sometimes my mom would get mad when I came home from school like that. Etc. I also had my appendix taken out, if that is somehow related which now I think might be.Anyway. Yes, I know how you feel in that you like knowing there are others out there like you. And I feel the same way when someone says that they have a belly ache...I'm like, ha, try having a writhing stomach that burns, and if not that, just a bloated, always gross feeling stomach. There is never a day when I don't think about the state of my stomach...and so many people just take that for granted. We are people that have to deal with more in life, and you know....what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So...know that you are not alone in your suffering, and that you are a stronger person than those around you who don't have IBS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi, i know how you feel, i was diagnosed a year ago, but it still feels so new to me. I know how it felt to feel "alone", i was even jealous of my friends at one point, they were able to go out and do normal things, i was home worrying about when my next attack would be, i was always, and still am scared about when i am out, will i be ok or will i get an attack? I was diagnosed when i was 13. I'm still getting used to it. I've tried alot of things, but one thing that i have found helpful is a heating pad, and deep breathing techniques. The heating pad helps me alot with the cramping i feel when i get an attack. I hope that you feel better!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.