Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am so glad I found this place. My son is having a very acute phase right now, and has been off of school now for 4 days. Bentyl and anti-nauseas are not helping a whole lot, and his diet is still crappy even during this acute phase. Urgh~But anyway..........How long does this last? Is 4 days of misery normal for IBS sufferers?

·
Registered
87 Posts
i dont know if 4 days would be considered ibs yet. i mean even before my ibs i used to have a few days of just not feeling well. i think everyone goes through those. i knew i had ibs when it just didnt go away and i didnt feel relieved after any BM. i think if it continues any longer than it could be ibs. def get it taken care of. i made the mistake of not thinking it was anything too serious. after almost a year later i got dignois with UC and just now am getting closer to remission. i wish i did everything i could a long time ago and could have avoided alot of things. hope your son feels better. i dont know what i would have done if i was suffering at 14. atleast in my 20s i can try to understand it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thewallsrclsingin, and the others, he's been on and off IBS, I truly believe, for a few years, just not this severe as now. He did have a few "sick" days end of last year where we did the apendicitis watch. My worry, is this, can these "phases" last for days with the debilitating pain/nausea? Do some of you "experts" have this type of reaction ALL OR MOST OF THE TIME? I think I am worried that it is something else as the gallbladder, pancreas, a blockage or something. (Yes, mom with anxiety issues!!) I guess I understood that an IBS "attack" would come and go very quickly, though frequently, and not lay one up for days. Like, there would be pain-free, normal moments. What is it like for you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have agony and misery all the time, yes. And I don't experience any pain-free, normal moments. I don't know what normal feels like, to be honest. At best, I have a sick, poopy feeling, I guess you could say.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I had gut-wrenching pain every day for months on end. The pain did vary a bit (never completely gone, but it would vary from moderate to severe during each day), but the you just have a bit of pain until you have a BM and then you are right as rain for days or weeks is the milder end of the spectrum.It is a chronic illness which means it can last a long time. It isn't like the flu or something where you are find a week or two later.I know it is hard to believe something "functional" can be so severe, but it can.K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.