Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Stacey. I was diagnosed with IBS when i was 13, but it started to happen when i was around 9. Just recently i was also diagnosed as Lactose intolerant. During this past year i've gone into depression, and it doesn't help me. The start of my depression happened when my father went in to have brain surgery in August, and in November my mother almost died. It hasn't helped my IBS at all, and now that i've fallen helpless, i feel i have no place to turn, besides here. I'm in the middle of teen years, i'm always in my house. I never go anywhere, I've missed two months of school because of the problem.I need someone to talk to that understands what i go threw almost everyday. I just need someone to turn to. Thank you for your time. -Stacey[This message has been edited by Kelemvur187 (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Stacey,You came to the right place.I am 20 now..but my IBS started when i was 10..I had really bad D every day.I used to have to miss class quite a bit.I know exactly what your going through.The good news is it gets better.I made it through highschool, and now I am in college doing quite well.I have my IBS pretty much under control thanks to Calcium...A little stress management, and some immodium for emergencies.If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to email me, or post on this board.M2bored###mac.comMark

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Stacey,You came to the right place.I am 20 now..but my IBS started when i was 10..I had really bad D every day.I used to have to miss class quite a bit.I know exactly what your going through.The good news is it gets better.I made it through highschool, and now I am in college doing quite well.I have my IBS pretty much under control thanks to Calcium...A little stress management, and some immodium for emergencies.If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to email me, or post on this board.M2bored###mac.comMark

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Stacey, I'm so sorry for all the stress you have been having, you have had a rough year it seems. (Hope Mom & Dad are better now) I welcome you here to our community
& I hope you find as much help here as I have.Stress plays a role in IBS for sure. Managing the stress has helped my symptoms. The best thing I did for myself was to educate myself about IBS. I read post after post here on the BB and asked LOADS of questions. People here are REAL patient & kind with us inquisitive types
.It would be helpful for you to check out the "New User FAQ" (frequently asked questions) down at the bottom of the page here by "Hop To:" where you will find ALL of our Forums.Just so you know we have developed are own lingo here. For example "C" means constipation "D" means diarrhea "C/D" means that person goes from one to the other "P" means pain "G" means gasAny treatments for symptom management should be run by Mom & Dad & your Doc of course.
I'm sorry to say there is no cure for IBS yet BUT lots of us have found ways to manage our symptoms & resume regular daily activites. Which I'm sure as a teenager you are most interested in doing
Perhaps the best way to start is to tell us what your worst symptom is & we can try to help from there.Stress seems to be a problem for you,(like most of us
) so you might want to try some relaxation techniques, getting proper sleep & a little exercise (even just walking in place). So glad that you found us & here's hoping you will be feeling better soon
BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Stacey, I'm so sorry for all the stress you have been having, you have had a rough year it seems. (Hope Mom & Dad are better now) I welcome you here to our community
& I hope you find as much help here as I have.Stress plays a role in IBS for sure. Managing the stress has helped my symptoms. The best thing I did for myself was to educate myself about IBS. I read post after post here on the BB and asked LOADS of questions. People here are REAL patient & kind with us inquisitive types
.It would be helpful for you to check out the "New User FAQ" (frequently asked questions) down at the bottom of the page here by "Hop To:" where you will find ALL of our Forums.Just so you know we have developed are own lingo here. For example "C" means constipation "D" means diarrhea "C/D" means that person goes from one to the other "P" means pain "G" means gasAny treatments for symptom management should be run by Mom & Dad & your Doc of course.
I'm sorry to say there is no cure for IBS yet BUT lots of us have found ways to manage our symptoms & resume regular daily activites. Which I'm sure as a teenager you are most interested in doing
Perhaps the best way to start is to tell us what your worst symptom is & we can try to help from there.Stress seems to be a problem for you,(like most of us
) so you might want to try some relaxation techniques, getting proper sleep & a little exercise (even just walking in place). So glad that you found us & here's hoping you will be feeling better soon
BQ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My worst symtoms would have to be all of the above. The last time i had a really bad attack, i almost passed out from the pain, and lost my breath. I get gas from time to time, and it seems that Donnagel works wonders for me, but they discontinued it.I know most of my IBS is my brain, when i feel G coming i get very panicky, and it makes it worse, but i found something for me to get my mind off of it. DRIVING! I just recently got done with my drivers ed class, and i'm soon to start driving, but i've driven before with my mom, and thats basically the only time i feel normal inside. But that will soon lose its value.My dad can be very stubborn sometimes when my problem comes. Not too long ago i knew an attack was coming, we weren't home, and my mom and i were fighting with him to bring me home, because i wanted to be in my own bed, with my own bathroom. He kept telling me that the place had a bathroom, after minutes of fighting me and my mom just left him there. I forget where.. heh.I used to be very active, play sports with all my buddies, but now i seem to just stay inside. I do excercise though. My two best friends understand what i go threw, Matt and Angela. Matt's father had crohns.But i feel that people with IBS have an advantage in life, eventhough you go threw trial and error, we can't eat foods such as pizza, or fast food because of the grease and fat. And with me i can't have dairy products. My mom just bought me milk with no lactose in it, tastes just like milk.I'm a big music lover, ever since i was 2. And there's been one group that has helped from everything to social downs and IBS bouts, the Backstreet Boys.
Sorry i had to proclaim my love for them, and how they've helped me..And i'm glad to say that my parents are doing good, eventhough they might get a divorce. it's still all good. -Stacey[This message has been edited by Kelemvur187 (edited 07-19-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My worst symtoms would have to be all of the above. The last time i had a really bad attack, i almost passed out from the pain, and lost my breath. I get gas from time to time, and it seems that Donnagel works wonders for me, but they discontinued it.I know most of my IBS is my brain, when i feel G coming i get very panicky, and it makes it worse, but i found something for me to get my mind off of it. DRIVING! I just recently got done with my drivers ed class, and i'm soon to start driving, but i've driven before with my mom, and thats basically the only time i feel normal inside. But that will soon lose its value.My dad can be very stubborn sometimes when my problem comes. Not too long ago i knew an attack was coming, we weren't home, and my mom and i were fighting with him to bring me home, because i wanted to be in my own bed, with my own bathroom. He kept telling me that the place had a bathroom, after minutes of fighting me and my mom just left him there. I forget where.. heh.I used to be very active, play sports with all my buddies, but now i seem to just stay inside. I do excercise though. My two best friends understand what i go threw, Matt and Angela. Matt's father had crohns.But i feel that people with IBS have an advantage in life, eventhough you go threw trial and error, we can't eat foods such as pizza, or fast food because of the grease and fat. And with me i can't have dairy products. My mom just bought me milk with no lactose in it, tastes just like milk.I'm a big music lover, ever since i was 2. And there's been one group that has helped from everything to social downs and IBS bouts, the Backstreet Boys.
Sorry i had to proclaim my love for them, and how they've helped me..And i'm glad to say that my parents are doing good, eventhough they might get a divorce. it's still all good. -Stacey[This message has been edited by Kelemvur187 (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi there! You are sure going through a lot right now. You are a very strong individual to be able to go through all that and be able to know when you need help.I'm lactose intolerant too and IBS D. Is the milk you use Lactaid? That's what I use, good stuff.
If you think you are depressed you need to talk to someone. Sometimes that person can be a counsellor at school, or someone you trust. You should also go see your doctor and see if he has medication he can put you on. Depression is common in IBS sufferers b/c we see all we want to do, and or bodies sometimes won't let us. Or our friends don't understand and accuse us of "faking" being sick since we may not look sick. I lost a LOT of friends and got depressed too. I am on Celexa right now and it has really helped me. That is an antidepressant; one that won't cause you to gain weight. One thing to keep in mind is that while the pills may help the way you feel, you also have to work on what caused your depression.I'm glad you came to this BB. We will help you in any way we can.------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi there! You are sure going through a lot right now. You are a very strong individual to be able to go through all that and be able to know when you need help.I'm lactose intolerant too and IBS D. Is the milk you use Lactaid? That's what I use, good stuff.
If you think you are depressed you need to talk to someone. Sometimes that person can be a counsellor at school, or someone you trust. You should also go see your doctor and see if he has medication he can put you on. Depression is common in IBS sufferers b/c we see all we want to do, and or bodies sometimes won't let us. Or our friends don't understand and accuse us of "faking" being sick since we may not look sick. I lost a LOT of friends and got depressed too. I am on Celexa right now and it has really helped me. That is an antidepressant; one that won't cause you to gain weight. One thing to keep in mind is that while the pills may help the way you feel, you also have to work on what caused your depression.I'm glad you came to this BB. We will help you in any way we can.------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Stacey,sorry to hear about your folks,you sound very mature.You really came to the right place for IBS. Don't be shy about asking anything. Many of us have had IBS since an early age, and although there are not to many teenagers here, IBS itself isn't much different for teens then adults. But, so you know hormones play a role, something I think you should know.This is a good modern description with some foods to avoid, medications, and some accurate up to date information. IBS is complex and it takes a while to learn about it, but education is a key factor in getting better. I can direct you to other important reading on accurate IBS info as well and there is a lot of information on the bb here. Reemember ask all the questions you want. http://www.badgut.com/Pamphlets/IBS.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Stacey,sorry to hear about your folks,you sound very mature.You really came to the right place for IBS. Don't be shy about asking anything. Many of us have had IBS since an early age, and although there are not to many teenagers here, IBS itself isn't much different for teens then adults. But, so you know hormones play a role, something I think you should know.This is a good modern description with some foods to avoid, medications, and some accurate up to date information. IBS is complex and it takes a while to learn about it, but education is a key factor in getting better. I can direct you to other important reading on accurate IBS info as well and there is a lot of information on the bb here. Reemember ask all the questions you want. http://www.badgut.com/Pamphlets/IBS.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started having IBS since I was 14. It was horrible, but as you grow older you find new ways to deal with it. Things got better carrying a bottle of Imodium AD around in my school bag. It gave me piece of mind, and helped in certain emergencies. The mornings were the worst for me, but by the time school was getting clode to the end it would get easier. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started having IBS since I was 14. It was horrible, but as you grow older you find new ways to deal with it. Things got better carrying a bottle of Imodium AD around in my school bag. It gave me piece of mind, and helped in certain emergencies. The mornings were the worst for me, but by the time school was getting clode to the end it would get easier. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Stacy!Girl, let me tell you that you are not alone. My IBS started in 7th grade, it happened right about the time of my first crush. Having the shoo shoos all of the time made for a rough high school life. But, it can be done. I know that you are in a rough time in your life right now and I understand that also, but just remember that you are not alone. I too had a bought of depression that stemmed a lot from the IBS and it made me very sick, I was 18 at the time at I didnt think life was very fair. But I did pull through and I am set to finish College in December. I am now 22 and married, things can still be pretty rough and stressful but you have to give your problems to the great one above, he is the one that can give you peace. If I were you I would get a mentor, someone that you can talk to on a daily basis to express yourself and your thoughts. You sound like a very smart and bright person and I know that you are going to go far.. I would love to talk with you if you ever need someone! Little_Squash3###yahoo.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Stacy!Girl, let me tell you that you are not alone. My IBS started in 7th grade, it happened right about the time of my first crush. Having the shoo shoos all of the time made for a rough high school life. But, it can be done. I know that you are in a rough time in your life right now and I understand that also, but just remember that you are not alone. I too had a bought of depression that stemmed a lot from the IBS and it made me very sick, I was 18 at the time at I didnt think life was very fair. But I did pull through and I am set to finish College in December. I am now 22 and married, things can still be pretty rough and stressful but you have to give your problems to the great one above, he is the one that can give you peace. If I were you I would get a mentor, someone that you can talk to on a daily basis to express yourself and your thoughts. You sound like a very smart and bright person and I know that you are going to go far.. I would love to talk with you if you ever need someone! Little_Squash3###yahoo.com

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hi Stacey,My IBS started early as well. I missed lots of days in high school. Pay attention to the depression. I was very depressed in high school, but the medications back then were not too useful. The newer medications, such as Celexa or Zoloft, are sometimes good for both depression and IBS. I slipped into a very deep depression in high school that took a long time to get out of (years in fact). Have you talked to your Mom or your doctor about your depression?------------------***Gail

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.