Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure my son has IBS. This weekend has been brutal for him with constipation,then D. My main question here is, for about a year, he has been blacking out..ONLY when he gets up from a chair, couch, or bed..He gets dizzy and then boom he crashes,,only seconds is he out. He has so far had a EEG,heart echo doppler and brain CT, plus a abdominal CT yest. for pain in his side and groin..everything is normal, even all the blood tests and urine.Next test is the tilt table. But I thought I would post and see if perhaps this is a condition any of you have had. He is hypoglycemic, but since theres no rhyme or reason to when he passes out, they have ruled out the sugar problem. Yest. he had such pain in his groin and side and I took him to ER, but all is "normal" ( I dispise that word, sometimes)I belive since we know know it isnt a hernia or kidney stone, that its because he was so bound up this weekend, with just little bit of diarreah but alot of urge to go. So who knows maybe this fainting, could be related to IBS..I need to be as educated as I can on stuff. I trust NO dr. and this forum sure helps educate all of us.. thanks for any help.. Linda

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Linda,I have had similar experiences, but i do not know if this is related to IBS or not. I have had "fainting spells" which only occur after i have been sleeping and then get up too quick. i have had almost every test done and have been told that i too, have hypoglycemia. all of my tests have been normal. i just have to make sure that before i get up, i sit up for about 5 minutes before actually standing. i doubt this will help you any...just thought i would share my experience.Reege

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Linda,I have had similar experiences, but i do not know if this is related to IBS or not. I have had "fainting spells" which only occur after i have been sleeping and then get up too quick. i have had almost every test done and have been told that i too, have hypoglycemia. all of my tests have been normal. i just have to make sure that before i get up, i sit up for about 5 minutes before actually standing. i doubt this will help you any...just thought i would share my experience.Reege

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
i have similar experiences. i also have fainting spells from time to time if i have been on my feet for a long time, or seated upright for too long, or in a warm environment (hot car, hot shower, outside when it's hot, etc). i am going to a neurologist on may 9 to try to figure out what the deal is. i have had ibs for years, and this fainting thing has only popped up about the last 12 months. i do know that i have trouble regulating my blood pressure, and sometimes it drops too low ergo fainting spell is experienced. i did a bit of research on "hypotension" (low blood pressure) when i first started having all these problems, and read something about "orthostatic hypotension". which is defined as dizzy/fainting spells upon standing too quickly from a reclined position. what causes this is blood pooling in the veins in your legs. those veins somehow are not told by your brain to constrict quickly enough to keep enough blood flowing to your head, therefore you feel faint. don't know if this is the condition you are describing, but thought it might help! you are not alone!~mrs. mason
btw, the strategy you described of sitting up for a few minutes before you stand up is exactly what the doctors told me to do when that happens! wise indeed you are!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
i have similar experiences. i also have fainting spells from time to time if i have been on my feet for a long time, or seated upright for too long, or in a warm environment (hot car, hot shower, outside when it's hot, etc). i am going to a neurologist on may 9 to try to figure out what the deal is. i have had ibs for years, and this fainting thing has only popped up about the last 12 months. i do know that i have trouble regulating my blood pressure, and sometimes it drops too low ergo fainting spell is experienced. i did a bit of research on "hypotension" (low blood pressure) when i first started having all these problems, and read something about "orthostatic hypotension". which is defined as dizzy/fainting spells upon standing too quickly from a reclined position. what causes this is blood pooling in the veins in your legs. those veins somehow are not told by your brain to constrict quickly enough to keep enough blood flowing to your head, therefore you feel faint. don't know if this is the condition you are describing, but thought it might help! you are not alone!~mrs. mason
btw, the strategy you described of sitting up for a few minutes before you stand up is exactly what the doctors told me to do when that happens! wise indeed you are!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies..When he was in the ER on monday for thoes stomach pains, they took his blood pressure when he first came in..it was like 117/68, then when we were leaving they took it again, he had been lying in that bed for 3 hrs. and it was 112/48. When I questioned the reading if that was normal or not..The dr. said well the machine must have read it wrong..Thats real comforting to hear from an ER room.. He will be getting the tilt test soon.Have no clue what this entails..His stomach is still crazy, had to go to school late this morn. because he had to sit more on the pot..Poor kid.. but thanks for all the help.. Linda

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies..When he was in the ER on monday for thoes stomach pains, they took his blood pressure when he first came in..it was like 117/68, then when we were leaving they took it again, he had been lying in that bed for 3 hrs. and it was 112/48. When I questioned the reading if that was normal or not..The dr. said well the machine must have read it wrong..Thats real comforting to hear from an ER room.. He will be getting the tilt test soon.Have no clue what this entails..His stomach is still crazy, had to go to school late this morn. because he had to sit more on the pot..Poor kid.. but thanks for all the help.. Linda

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ah, the tilt table test. this will tell you a lot. here is what they do:they will strap him to a table and tilt it to about a 70 degree angle (almost standing straight up) and leave him on it for about 45 minutes. they will take his blood pressure continuously and have him report his symptoms. if within the 45 minutes his blood pressure drops more than 20mmHg it will be considered an "abnormal" result, and they may perhaps investigate further, or may diagnose him with "neurally mediated hypotension" - which basically is a condition much like ibs, the brain and heart do not communicate well. they will of course discontinue the test if he actually passes out. most people feel ill for a few days after having the test done. let me know the results! btw - my bp varies a LOT also. my normal bp is about 117/80 but when i first wake up in the morning it is MUCH lower - usually lower than 100/70. this fluctuation is not normal for most people, but it is normal for those of us that have trouble regulating our bp. mine also drops at various times throughout the day. it might be good if you checked his bp on your own in the meantime (along with pulse). i keep a record, taking my bp several times a day (and my pulse each time) and i record it. i think this will prove helpful to any dr. one thing you might notice is that his pulse will be much higher as his bp drops. that is his body trying to make up the difference. sometimes my pulse races as fast as 130 beats per minute. ("normal" bp is considered 120/80 or anything withing 5-10mmHg and "normal" pulse is approximately 72 beats per minute) i hope this helps. best wishes with the test!~mrs. mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ah, the tilt table test. this will tell you a lot. here is what they do:they will strap him to a table and tilt it to about a 70 degree angle (almost standing straight up) and leave him on it for about 45 minutes. they will take his blood pressure continuously and have him report his symptoms. if within the 45 minutes his blood pressure drops more than 20mmHg it will be considered an "abnormal" result, and they may perhaps investigate further, or may diagnose him with "neurally mediated hypotension" - which basically is a condition much like ibs, the brain and heart do not communicate well. they will of course discontinue the test if he actually passes out. most people feel ill for a few days after having the test done. let me know the results! btw - my bp varies a LOT also. my normal bp is about 117/80 but when i first wake up in the morning it is MUCH lower - usually lower than 100/70. this fluctuation is not normal for most people, but it is normal for those of us that have trouble regulating our bp. mine also drops at various times throughout the day. it might be good if you checked his bp on your own in the meantime (along with pulse). i keep a record, taking my bp several times a day (and my pulse each time) and i record it. i think this will prove helpful to any dr. one thing you might notice is that his pulse will be much higher as his bp drops. that is his body trying to make up the difference. sometimes my pulse races as fast as 130 beats per minute. ("normal" bp is considered 120/80 or anything withing 5-10mmHg and "normal" pulse is approximately 72 beats per minute) i hope this helps. best wishes with the test!~mrs. mason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.