Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my period when I was 10, and ever since I have had irregular periods. When I was 16 my period stopped for almost a year, so my doctor wanted me to try birth control pills (Alesse) for a year to see if the hormones would ignite my period after taking bc for 1 year, then stopping. I've been taking the pill for 4 months, but now my dr. wants me to go to an endochronoglist to get some tests done to further check hormone levels, tyroid, etc. After taking the pill for 4 months and now stopping, what can I expect? Nausea? Migranes? Bleeding? Although my periods are irregular .. when should I expect my next period?

·
Registered
515 Posts
not sure what anyone else has experienced, but the one time i did stop them all that happened to me was a period (like what happens at the end of a pack of pills) and then well, not much of anything! my mood was back to it's moody self (BCP's also help me stay 'stable') but other than that nothing bad or negative.. i'm back on a lower dose now for quite a few years.. if your periods are irregular to begin with i'd hazard a guess and say you'll probably have a period in the first 1-2 weeks after you go off the pill, but have no idea after that..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also took BCPs for irregular periods. When I quit taking the pill my next period came just as it would have if I were taking them. It was after that when my system went to it's own special schedule that it made up at random. If everything is ok at the other DR. I use the depo-provera shot and it lessens my bad days with the IBS by not having a cycle to deal with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know if you would really have any effects since you were on it such a short time. I was on BC for 12 years and when I came off it my IBS came back with a vengeance. I didn't get any PMS or anything. I did get pregnant before I got my period back though so be careful in that regard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.