Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, after going to the doctors multiple times i've finally been diagnosed as having IBS, however i was just looking for some reassurance/advice. Basically, i've had multiple blood work done including Thyroid, Coeliac and bowel markers etc. and nothing came back suspicious. I've also had stool tests for H.Pylori and Calprotectin and again, nothing came back suspicious. My gp therefore has said its not worth doing any other tests, however i suffer from quite bad health anxiety and i'm not too sure whether i should push for more tests to be 100% sure?

My symptoms all started about 4 months ago at the end of my first year of uni and have carried on almost daily. I have the 'morning rush' when i first wake up, this is followed by excessive gas throughout the day. However for me, the worst symptom is the brain fog and the feeling i am constantly 'out of it' and dazed. The only thing which makes me worry is that i very rarely get the 'cramps' which most other people seem to get, which makes me think it could be something else. Thanks for reading and any answers,advice for how to ease symptoms, or from people suffering the same symptoms would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Maxp444,

Having a bowel movement in the morning is normal, except for the diarrhea. Do you have other bowel movements throughout the day?

For the excessive gas I'd look into a change in your diet. I can't give you advice yet as I'm trying to figure it out myself.

As for the anxiety, it is important you find a way to deal with it. IBS is an umbrella term, they didn't diagnose you with a specific disorder. Somatic symptom disorders are when someone is not properly diagnosed, and stress and worrying make the symptoms worse. It is not in your head, but your mental health has an important role in your physical health.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Maxp444,

Having a bowel movement in the morning is normal, except for the diarrhea. Do you have other bowel movements throughout the day?

For the excessive gas I'd look into a change in your diet. I can't give you advice yet as I'm trying to figure it out myself.

As for the anxiety, it is important you find a way to deal with it. IBS is an umbrella term, they didn't diagnose you with a specific disorder. Somatic symptom disorders are when someone is not properly diagnosed, and stress and worrying make the symptoms worse. It is not in your head, but your mental health has an important role in your physical health.

Good luck.
Hi Candide, thanks for the reply! Most of the time I have 1 bm in a day ( although it is diarrhea) and i'm currently trying to work on my diet. I guess the anxiety is something which i'm affected by the most (and maybe even is the cause of many of my symptoms), but i've found just talking to people like yourself eases it, as i know i'm not alone in this situation :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi MaxP444,

I eliminated gluten and my feeling of foggyness went away. When I have gluten again... boom... foggyness and fatigue is back.

That's just my experience though, may not necessarily be the cause for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey, that's sad to hear but the most important thing that you have to do now is learn how to cope with it. Life is harsh and you have to accept it, but yet you also have to focus on yourself and on improving your own life - that's how I accepted my IBS and I'm living pretty content life - not as I would like it to, but at least I know that I'm trying to slowly run for my dreams and do the all the things that I always wanted to do, live the way I want etc. That's the mindset that you don't have to develop, but it helps greatly - at the very least it helped for me. Moreover, getting a diet on point is your utmost priority - everything works differently for many people, so you have to figure out what works the best for you. Cutting diary, gluten and so on... not smoking, cutting caffeine, starting being more active physically - those all factors greatly to improving your life. Best of luck on figuring your way, you are still young so don't bother yourself too much with this, I'm saying this even as I know that you will :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts