Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just diagnosed with IBS. I am always feeling FULL and more annoying to me is this GURGLING sound. I feel like my stomach is never settled. I go to meeting and my stomach makes these loud sounds. You would think I was hungry because it sounds like a LOUD growl, but I can be eating when these noises start. I have read A LOT of topics here and haven't seen anything about this. My doctor says that this can be a symptom of IBS but I can't find anything to back him up. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THESE STRANGE NOISES???? Please respond. I can't keep hiding in the back of the room.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My intestines gurgle at times. Fortunately, they aren't too loud! Have you tried peppermints?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are NUMEROUS posts on this BB about those annoying sounds. Among others, check out a post called "rumbles and grumbles" or just try searching the topics for "noise", "stomach noise", "bowel noise" or things along those lines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't gurgle so much since I started Caltrate Plus and Flax seed oil capsules with meals, 3 X a day. Also, I've had less abdominal pain. I've now been on them for approximately 3 months - and it seems to be improving a little as time goes by.------------------Laurie - D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My noises are totally loud enough to draw attention to myself. People are always asking me if I am hungry. I can be a nusinace, but I just laugh it off- tell them it's the demon trying to get out! (as long as I am not having an attack)- and go with it and don't make a big deal- usually no one else will either. ------------------Here's to pain free days!SandiIBS/D For 20+ years

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the noises too - I can go weeks quietly by then all of a sudden they are back, no real pattern for them, I just always hope they happen when I'm home! It's embarassing to be noisy in church!

·
Registered
307 Posts
The noises are the worse sometimes...They do get really loud,where people have looked at me strange,I just laugh, what else is there to do.Sometimes they've startled me,because they were so loud,but I've learned to live with it.Doctors have said I had an active stomach(whatever that means)------------------ShyOne (D-type)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have had loud tummy noises for as long as I can remember, even before the IBS. I think they're funny sometimes because I will be growling in 2 or 3 different areas and they will be in 3 different "pitches" or speeds. I call it my intestinal orchestra. It's not as bad now but it used to turn some heads!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Kim,Best thing to do is make an asset of them like Sandi and WD. If people see you can joke and laugh about it they will too. I usually hear it and just think of it as my gut warning me.. if I take the warning things get better, if not worse.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried chamomile and peppermint tea? I make a strong tea, 4 T. chamomile and 2 T. peppermint (I buy the herbs in bulk). This makes 1 quart of tea. Brew 30 min., strain, and refrigerate. I drink it through the day. I also take Metamucil after each meal. This has helped a lot. I still have some noise, but it is not as bad as it was.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kim,do not worry, as you've noticed by the replies, alot of us have the stomach gurgles. Mine only happen around "that time of the month". Just try everyone's advice, and see what works best for you. I drink peppermint tea when it happens. It calms my stomach right down.Goodluck!
------------------Love, peace and many groovies...Kerry

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi guys...I've too had these very loud "gurgling" sounds before. There is actually a term to describe these very loud noises, which usually occur over the intestines. It is called BORBORYGMI..."rumbling in the bowels, a gurgling, splashing sound normally heard over the large intestine; caused by passage of gas through the liquid contents if the intestine". It is especially common with hyperperistalsis...or overactive bowels, which is why our doctors put us on anti-cholinergics or anti-spasmodics. Don't have a cure for it...but maybe having a name for it will at least help all when describing it. GOOD LUCK...HAK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.