Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

20/20 show on new tiny camera that is swallowed and travels through the gi tract

487 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Rose 
#1 ·
Interesting show on Friday 20/20 about a new tiny camera the size of a pill that is swallowed and takes over 50,000 pictures of entire gi tract for accurate diagnosis of previously hard to identify conditions. The patient in the show had bleeding and pain and went through many tests before this. They found a tumor in her small intestine and her life was saved. The company Given Imaging has a website where they will e-mail you name of local doctors who perform this pain freee procedure.Any thoughts or comments?

#4 ·
I saw this report too. Fascinating. If I recall, however, they said that the camera doesn't work well to view the large intestine because it tumbles around too much in there. It seems to be ideal for looking at the upper GI system and the small intestine. I'm not really familiar with the methods currently used to view the small intestine, but the impression I got was that the camera is a big improvement in finding problems there.

#5 ·
I saw this report too. Fascinating. If I recall, however, they said that the camera doesn't work well to view the large intestine because it tumbles around too much in there. It seems to be ideal for looking at the upper GI system and the small intestine. I'm not really familiar with the methods currently used to view the small intestine, but the impression I got was that the camera is a big improvement in finding problems there.

#6 ·
You know what I'm waiting for? That virtual colonoscopy! When the heck will they have that available for us! Seems like I've been hearing about this for years, yet it's not something used yet. I know that there is still the risk of them finding something and needing to do a real colonoscopy anyway, but for people with just IBS I think it would be great. Not to mention I think a lot more people would have it done, and could save more lives. I put off having invasive testing for 4 years because of my fear of them. I think they really do need to find easier ways.I would worry that this camera would miss something though. But it sure does beat some of the other tests.Jennifer

#7 ·
You know what I'm waiting for? That virtual colonoscopy! When the heck will they have that available for us! Seems like I've been hearing about this for years, yet it's not something used yet. I know that there is still the risk of them finding something and needing to do a real colonoscopy anyway, but for people with just IBS I think it would be great. Not to mention I think a lot more people would have it done, and could save more lives. I put off having invasive testing for 4 years because of my fear of them. I think they really do need to find easier ways.I would worry that this camera would miss something though. But it sure does beat some of the other tests.Jennifer

#8 ·
I saw the show and had read about the camera several months ago. In fact I had asked my new gastro dr. about it but he said it wasn't good to see the small intestine (or the large can't remember which) and wasn't used by any doctors here yet. Have a colonoscopy wednesday and thought I could use the pill instead.

#9 ·
I saw the show and had read about the camera several months ago. In fact I had asked my new gastro dr. about it but he said it wasn't good to see the small intestine (or the large can't remember which) and wasn't used by any doctors here yet. Have a colonoscopy wednesday and thought I could use the pill instead.

#12 ·
I think this tests sounds great. Does anyone know the company's web site address.I have heard it is a real expensive procedure and most insurance company's will not cover it (typical), however once they realize how effective it is, they may reconsider. This to me is certainly a test worth going through.I may be wrong, however, I believe it only shows what goes on in the small intestine, not the large (colon). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#13 ·
I think this tests sounds great. Does anyone know the company's web site address.I have heard it is a real expensive procedure and most insurance company's will not cover it (typical), however once they realize how effective it is, they may reconsider. This to me is certainly a test worth going through.I may be wrong, however, I believe it only shows what goes on in the small intestine, not the large (colon). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure this was a device that was invented by researchers here on Winnipeg. They have one like it here that has been on news lately anyways.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure this was a device that was invented by researchers here on Winnipeg. They have one like it here that has been on news lately anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.