Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Calling Ga Peach, and all Georgia residents!

The Georgia State Legislature will hold its final Study Committee Hearing on the Risks Associated with Kratom on Thursday, December 13, 2018 in Room 450 of the Georgia State Capitol before the Committee issues its final report.

If you live in Georgia, we hope you do everything you can to arrange your schedule to attend.

If you don't live in Georgia, but have friends, family, or fellow kratom consumers that you know in Georgia, please reach out to them TODAY to encourage them to attend.

Dave Herman, Chairman of the American Kratom Association (AKA), has requested time to speak at the Hearing - Dave is a native Georgian and lives just outside of Atlanta. But the Committee needs to see a room packed with kratom supporters (AKA will have signs for all kratom advocates to hold up during the Hearing).

There may be time for individual citizens to speak, but even if that is not permitted, your voice will be heard by having a packed room of kratom supporters. Dave Herman will make certain to ask that the kratom supporters be able to stand and be recognized by the Study Committee.

For those attending, this is a formal meeting of the Legislature and you are encouraged to dress appropriately and please keep all communications on a professional and respectful basis with the Committee and its members.

As this time, we are asking that if you are not a Georgia resident, please DO NOT reach out to the Georgia legislature. We have been told by our lobbying team on the ground, that an "outside of the state" effort could hurt us.

But, and this is very important, if you have family or friends in Georgia, please forward them the following information:

Georgia House Study Committee on Risks Associated with Kratom

Thursday, December 13, 2018

10:00am in State Capitol Room 450

Atlanta, Georgia

Let's fight to keep kratom legal in Georgia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting that you had the same feeling with Red Borneo.

I live in Europe, so probably we don't order from the same vendor - but perhaps the source is the same.

I will try some other red ones and see if it gets any better :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Has anyone using Kratom found it to cause them itching at all? (common with opioids)

Has anyone found it to speed up or slow down their heart rate?

I've always found that using immodium creates a clog of constipation that I end up having to stop immodium until it passes, and everything behind it is diarrhea. This cycle repeats indefinitely. Is kratom more of a long acting relief? You don't find you get clogged up?

I was relying on high dose doxepin which provided me 1.5 years of relief but I have built a tolerance to it and I am back to suffering from IBS-D. All good things come to an end it seems...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I haven't known anyone in my circle to experience itching with kratom. I did have the itch when I was first prescribed opiates, over time as I developed immunity/dependency, that opiate itch went away.

A family member did experience some heart rate flutter with the white strains. But she also already had that with adjustments in her thyroid meds. Once the thyroid meds were adjusted properly, the problem ceased. She also switched to green and red only. White also made me over-stimulated, as if I'd had too much coffee. I've also cut my coffee intake in half.

I don't get constipated, but passing the normal stool is still an odd feeling for me. Most days, I'm able to fully evacuate with one trip to the toilet. Some days I'll need to go back a second time, but it's rare and random. Usually I'll get the urge almost immediately after the morning dose, and that's all until the next day.

I've found a balance that works for me. Friends and family that have benefited from kratom, are still thanking me profusely every time I see them. I don't feel worthy, I just passed on something that worked for me.

16 months since I began, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've exhausted all other options and am now open to trying kratom. I have 2 concerns:

1) I am scared about legality concerns. Have you heard if there is any news about a nationwide ban? I am a young health professional with a lot of student debt and soon to be a significantly higher amount of business debt. My concern is that if somehow I would be caught possessing this substance in an illegal area that my professional license would be put at major risk. I do not live in an illegal state but I travel to one very often. In addition to possible sentencing, I would likely lose my license and thus lose any ability to pay back a large debt. I am trying to weigh the risks...

2) If kratom does not provide the desired relief, how difficult is it to get off of it? I have tried so many medications that show relief for 1-3 weeks but then my body's cramping ability wins and things go back to normal, at which point I have had to wean myself off the medication which is never fun, although it is possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Yes, it seems the FDA never sleeps on this issue. Bans are being sought in several states, with the ultimate goal of a nationwide ban. FDA hasn't a leg to stand on, but continues to deal in junk science and outright falsehoods. In my opinion they have also functioned as their own form of government. American Kratom Association is working to stop all bans. AKA circulates petitions and is on the front lines of the battle from state to state and the nation's capitol.

If you're willing to register with AKA, here is a Webinar done last week: "What to Do if Kratom is Scheduled?" ... https://americankratom.salsalabs.org/akaschedulingwebinar/index.html?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=22792e03-214f-4a7b-95e3-85287b914f8f

Personally, I don't feel that kratom, when used in medicinal doses, has any addictive properties. All anecdotes I've seen about "kicking" kratom have been from people using abusive dosage levels, on the order of 10-20 grams per dose and multiple times per day, just seeking a "high". I'm not high when I take my dose, and have never been high on kratom. I've never felt the urge to take larger doses.

I've purposely decreased my dosage, or just forgotten the evening dose. The only thing I experienced was a return of symptoms.

I do fine with taking my morning dose, then returning home to take the evening dose around 5-8pm. Depends how much time you are in the verboten zone as to how you can manage it. Sometimes I have either mixed a dose in a water bottle, or carried it in a container to be mixed on the fly. I haven't had to deal with any banned areas, yet.

It will be a sad day if a ban comes about. For 16 months I've found a way to get back into life. If banned, there's literally nothing left.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Continuing news from Georgia:

Several days ago, kratom supporters in Georgia attended the Kratom Public Hearing in Atlanta. During this hearing, several "stakeholders" were given the opportunity to make a statement, but no kratom consumers were allowed to speak.

To view the public hearing, (see link below the quoted text .. gf).

Well, we now have our chance to be heard.

We were just informed that there will be a public hearing with the House Study Committee on the Risks Associated with Kratom on Friday, Dec. 28th at 11:00am in Room 606 CLOB (Coverdell Legislative Office Bldg.).

If you live in Georgia, we hope you do everything you can to arrange your schedule to attend.

If you don't live in Georgia, but have friends, family, or fellow kratom consumers that you know in Georgia, please reach out to them TODAY to encourage them to attend.

There will be time for individual citizens to speak, so we need to make sure we fill the room with kratom supporters. We will be sending out more information as we get closer to the event on how to sign-up to speak.

For those who will be attending, this is a formal meeting of the Legislature and you are encouraged to dress appropriately and please keep all communications on a professional and respectful basis with the Committee and its members.

At this time, we are asking that if you are not a Georgia resident, please DO NOT reach out to the Georgia legislature.

But, and this is very important, if you have family or friends in Georgia, please forward them the following information:

Georgia House Study Committee on Risks Associated with Kratom

Friday, December 28, 2018

11:00am in Room 606 CLOB

Atlanta, Georgia

Let's fight to keep kratom legal in Georgia.

Sincerely,

American Kratom Association
Link to the video of the hearing: http://www.americankratom.org/video/georgia-legislature-kratom-committee-meeting.html?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=23c50ff5-1ea9-44c1-9195-130159f663a5

·
Registered
555 Posts
This morning I took my first dose of kratom ever. I took 1 tsp which weighed 2g. Mixed it in probably 6oz warm water and downed it. I will plan to take another dose before dinner today. To everyone who is concerned about the taste, I honestly did not think it was bad at all. Just like a strong green tea flavor.
I wanted to start today because i dont work until Wednesday. I will probably stick to 1tsp for a few days then increase if needed...i am expecting to have to increase with how bad my ibs has been.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last question for those taking kratom daily, specifically males. Have you ever had your testosterone levels checked and they came back low? Or do you struggle with chronic fatigue, depression, loss of sex drive, hot flashes etc(symptoms of low T). I ask because opioids raise prolactin levels and deplete testosterone levels. I used to be on opioids for chronic pain and they sent my testosterone levels REALLY low and caused a boat load of problems. I wonder if this is an issue with any of you? Likely not an issue for females obviously. That's my last holdout reason for not trying kratom yet. I don't wanna go back to having those problems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Last question for those taking kratom daily, specifically males. Have you ever had your testosterone levels checked and they came back low? Or do you struggle with chronic fatigue, depression, loss of sex drive, hot flashes etc(symptoms of low T). I ask because opioids raise prolactin levels and deplete testosterone levels. I used to be on opioids for chronic pain and they sent my testosterone levels REALLY low and caused a boat load of problems. I wonder if this is an issue with any of you? Likely not an issue for females obviously. That's my last holdout reason for not trying kratom yet. I don't wanna go back to having those problems.
Noca, I haven't run into any issues with Low-T, either the years I was on prescribed opiates or since beginning kratom. While I do have a hot flash once in a while, my bloodwork is always good as far as testosterone level. The only concern recently is my parathyroid isn't quite right, but that predates kratom use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
This morning I took my first dose of kratom ever. I took 1 tsp which weighed 2g. Mixed it in probably 6oz warm water and downed it. I will plan to take another dose before dinner today. To everyone who is concerned about the taste, I honestly did not think it was bad at all. Just like a strong green tea flavor.
I wanted to start today because i dont work until Wednesday. I will probably stick to 1tsp for a few days then increase if needed...i am expecting to have to increase with how bad my ibs has been.
Getting good results yet?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Interesting that you had the same feeling with Red Borneo.

I live in Europe, so probably we don't order from the same vendor - but perhaps the source is the same.

I will try some other red ones and see if it gets any better :)
Got started on the Red Elephant, it seems more potent, and definitely has a more bitter taste than the Red Horn from the old vendor. Two things I perceive as indicators of good kratom - high level of bitterness and repels water/harder to mix.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Constipation

Yes, it has finally happened. My relative reports she needed a laxative on Christmas Eve, just one dose of Miralax and she's back to normal. She's been taking kratom about one year.

For me, I just call that a desirable side effect and easily managed. Better than the old D 30 times a day, every day.

So yes, it is possible to get there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
mellosphere? Any results to report?

I've been down with severe back pain since Christmas day, the kratom won't erase the most severe pain but does take the edge off. I've barely been able to hobble around the house, but I am getting better. I still have to be very careful how I walk, and am still taking it very easy, resisting the urge to get back into chores, etc. Seems like I healed quicker this time, weeks instead of years.

On two days, I took a third dose of kratom for the back pain and found myself getting constipated. I went a full day with no BM and thought I may need to take action, but it didn't last long at all and I was quickly back to normal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well I have been trying it and it has been causing a lot of cramps. It definitely slows down my stools but my cramps worsen because my body still wants to have a bowel movement. I am still experimenting though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My experience with kratom has been almost entirely on point with the original poster. I have a severe scoliosis and turned to kratom for my chronic back pain, after the lead singer in my band used it to treat neck pain from two bad discs. Not only was it an absolute miracle for my back pain, but my daily battle with diarrhea has ended. Although never formally diagnosed, i fit all the symptoms of IBS-D. I had daily diarrhea, intermingled with maybe one normal stool. It was awful.

It was a standing joke around my family and friends that I could poop through a screen door. My frequent bathroom trips caused a lot of laughs. Quite frankly, though, I was tired of it.

Been using kratom for three months and I can now eat literally anything. I have one to two normal stools a day. Normal, normal. Like, entirely normal. It feels great.

I alternate my kratom strains every three days so I can remain at a 3 gram dose. You will avert tolerance by switching from green, then to yellow, and then to white. I rarely use reds because I prefer the "pick me up."

It should also be noted that I am a law enforcement officer, and while this substance is incredibly taboo, I am NOT getting high from it, I am NOT impaired in any way at all and responsible use has been nothing but beneficial to me. My colleagues were leery, and a few have been open minded enough to try it.

I tell people, you can abuse OTC cough syrup for a high, but that doesn't mean Robitussin is evil or dangerous to a responsible user. Hell, even nutmeg can seriously impair you and cause you to hallucinate.

I highly recommend that folks educate themselves by watching the Netflix documentary "A Leaf of Faith." Also, do not buy into the propaganda about how kratom was banned in Thailand and that therefore makes it dangerous. Research would show you that health concerns had NOTHING to do with the ban in Thailand. It was interfering with the commercial opium sales industry and that was the reason it was banned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Thanks for your input, FPR. I'll look up Leaf of Faith.

Over the past couple of months, I've increased my dose by 1/2 teaspoon. Not sure if it's quality of the product or something else, but effectiveness for IBS-D had slipped to an estimated 60-70%. With the dose increase I'm around 95%. Still very manageable.

If anyone has suggestions for a supplier, I'm looking to make a switch to see if quality improves. I stopped using my original supplier when they doubled their prices overnight during an FDA scare.

I've not seen much energy boost with any strains lately, but I'm battling some other problems which no doubt are contributing. Low B-12, low Vit D, among others. Got my first B12 shot yesterday and beginning supplemental B12 and Vit D today, per doctor's orders.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello all! Glad this thread is still going after several years, it's great to follow everyone's progress! I am a 36yr old female, IBS-D since 2014. I don't think my IBS compares to some of your experiences, I definitely don't have to go number two 20+ times a day. I currently take Imodium, between 1-4 pills a day depending on how I'm "going". Been using it daily now for at least a year. Prior to that, just took it as needed. Without the Imodium, I don't have diarrhea every single day but it can happen any time and often does when I'm at work or out trying to have a life. Have tried various prescriptions, elimination diets, probiotics, etc. Also suffer from lots of bloat, gas, reflux, nausea, sinusitis, anxiety, occasional insomnia, etc. I have been using CBD oil for my anxiety since November 2018, helped me finally get off of Xanax. I have heard of Kratom but don't know much about it. I'm very interested in giving it a try though. I've had two colonoscopies, an endoscopy, countless doctor visits and tests and absolutely no explanation as to what is causing my IBS. It all started after a colonoscopy in 2014 to remove a polyp.

Anyway, enough about me. Wondering what the best strain to start with is for a newb?

Since I rely on Imodium daily, is it safe to take both until I can ween myself off of the Imodium?

Does the Kratom help at all with gas/bloat? Funny thing about me, I can't burp. Once or twice a year a tiny little inaudible baby burp will appear out of nowhere but the rest of the time it just won't happen. The rest of my family can burp the alphabet. Always wondered if maybe the no burping thing is tied into my reflux/gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure if posting sources is okay, but if it isn't, they'll remove it and ill PM you.

Order the sampler pack from www.straightupkratom.com

For the powder sampler you will get regular red maeng da, super red maeng da, green and super green maeng da and a pack each of white and yellow maeng da. That's 250 grams of kratom powder.

If powder isn't your thing, they have a capsule sampler too. Use the discount code WES15 and you get 15 percent off.

Their kratom is some of the best out there. For the money you can't beat them.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts