Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...so I currently am 26 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and my IBSD symptoms are out of control! I have suffered through IBS D and C (alternating type) since im 16yrs old...finally around the age of 20 years old I started nortiptyline which completely changed my life and gave me the freedom to live again. I LOVE this medication and feel that there is no other solution as I have tried everything. Sadly it is not a approved medication to take through pregnancy so I come off of it while pregnant. The first 2 pregnancies my IBS symptoms actually went away! it was amazing to say the least to finally have relief and eat whatever craving I so desired. This last pregnancy I have been deathly sick with diarrhea since I found out I concieved. its not the full blown diarrhea I would say its between a 5 and 6 on the bristol stool chart, you know that pasty sticky mushy messy stool. The cramping and urgency are at a high as usual and there virtually is very minimal medications I can take. I got terrrible morning sickness in my first trimester and the md gave me zofran which actaully helped my IBS symptoms. Side effect of zofran is constipation which is great for all of us, so i took it sparingly bc I was afraid of hurting the baby. I took bentyl once but hated how trippy it made me feel. So here I am today and the mornings are so bad, it brings me on so much anxiety. I have 2 other kids to care for and this IBS is making it near impossible. My belly gets so screwed up I dont want to eat and I need to for the babies sake. And here is the wierd thing, I have been having moments when I will have a normal BM like a type 4 on the bristol scale and then within 20minutes have urgency go again and its soft mushy type 6..anyone else? Why is it? I feel like I cant eat better then what i am so what to do? hypnotherapy has done NOTHING and i can take immodium but all it does is clog me up and cause me to be in more pain. Its very sticky pasty mushy stool normally....any thoughts im DESPERATE!

Thanks
sad.png

·
Banned
6,905 Posts
Sounds pretty miserable.

Could you speak to your doctor about probiotics? I don't know about safety during pregnancy.

Probiotics have been the one thing that turned my D into C/D. Hopefully it will be okay for you to take to get some relief. The one I recommend is VSL #3. It is OTC; however, usually prescribed by a doctor and followed under a doctor's care.

Jeff

·
Registered
587 Posts
So sorry to hear that. It must be so hard. Could you try psyllium husk? I don't know how safe it is with pregnancy but something to bring up to your dr. It could add more bulk to your stool and not be so messy. You could try the toddler wipes aswell with toilet paper to get more clean and as annoying as it is maybe a panty liner to keep your clothes clean. Keep is updated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...its so frustrating because when you are pregnant noone wants to do anything for you to help! My GI doc just refers me back to the OBGYN and the OBGYN just tells me she doesnt have much experience with IBS and that if its not FDA approved for pregnancy even if herbal supplements she doesnt recommend me using it! So upsetting bc basically I feel like people are just like oh well deal with it! What fiber supplements have helped with diarrhea for any of you guys? I have tried metamucil and citricel with no luck actually made things worse..and the cramping is always there as well...any advise on that? Im starting to get to the point where I dont wanna go anywhere and if I need to go I take a zofran bc it does help...TIA!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I dont know what to do with my family and this horrific IBS that is plaguing my life lately..my husband and kids are always having to deal with me complain and the stress is really affecting them, I FEEL SO BAD! i need to learn how to live with these issues but the symptoms are so debiliating...when on my Pamelor (which will be in 3 months) I rarely have a flare up...what can I do for the next few months?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im the same :( Im 25 weeks with my second and the IBS D seems to be getting worse as the pregnancy progresses. I sometimes take immodium which I dont find to be as effective during pregnancy, but it does help. I used to take it daily before pregnancy but now I try to limit it. Still probably twice a week though. And i take codeine a few times a week too. I managed with nothing most of the time during the first 12 weeks but seem to be taking something almost every day now. And I do feel guilty taking stuff, but i havent even gained a pound yet probably from going too much and i need to look after my 5 year old who is always asking why Im on the toilet all the time.

Also I have the same problem with struggling to keep clean. I had it with my first pregnancy too from around 20 weeks and its happening again. So have to have extra showers. Plus i have hemorrhoids, so my day is pretty much just spent using the toilet then putting pile cream on lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both. Mostly its the mushy type, several times a day. But i also have it watery too sometimes. I used to take low doses of imodium daily prior to being pregnant. But also took buscopan or pepto bismol as and when needed, for cramps and gas. I just started taking mebeverine just before i found out i was pregnant, but had to stop that too. Im trying to be positive and think I had it under control before, and I will again. And Im lucky to be pregnant so I try to put up with it for my baby. But yes 9 months is a long time to have to deal with it with little or no meds. This pregnancy seems a hell of a lot longer than my first one, where i only really suffered for the first 3 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Star82...out of curiosity is the baby a differnt gender? I had 2 boys and now pregnant with a girl and when I was pregnant with my boys I had ZERO ibs..it literally went away and was the best 9 months of my life...i ate whatever I wanted and nothing seemed to disagree with me so Im shocked to how bad my ibs is acting now. I really dont take anything bc if its bad I just stay home but geez is it depressing bc its bad most days...although I force myself to go about life the best I can. I eat gluten free and really try and watch my diet however I have gained weight im up like 15lbs. If I have to I take a zofran and let me tell you it constipates you. Will stop anything right in its tracks...I also am A very anxious person and believe that it why I have IBS to begin with so just trying to stay positive. Soooooooo hard!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had a girl last time and this one is a girl too. I try to stay home when I can but taking my daughter to school and collecting her on an afternoon is the problem as it is 2 hours a day where I have no toilet access. Im an anxious person too and have seen a councellor about it but everyone seems to think Im beyond talking to someone about my anxiety and will probably need medication for it. My midwife thinks my IBS is entirely because of anxiety, and that definitely does make it worse. But Im sure hormones and having a baby squashing, punching and kicking my colon will have an effect. 15lb sounds like a good gain for how far along you are. I lost 16 in the first trimester due to morning sickness and ibs, and havent gained any back yet. So Im having extra antenatal appointments. My doctor wouldnt give me zofran :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
U womens r really great. So much pain u can handle alone.. M at my startin phase with loose stools evry tim n so scared n nervous that loosing hopes wid lif. But u al r great. Actually m into depression n anxiety also bfore illness last 8-9 months. Dr has started antidepressant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.