Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the doctor thinks I have IBS right but I'm not sure anymore. Maybe I have gastritis or something else. I've also notice that when I take antiacids it makes me feel worse. I had diariah the other day and my stomach was cramping really bad and I had all this pressure on my front area because I was holding it until I made it to a bathroom. Also I felt like I wanted to puk but I didn't. What's wrong with me?IBS-C, spasms, excess gas, feeling of incomplete evacuation, fatigue, hot flashes, small headaches

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Some antiacids with magnesium in them can cause d, so look out for that as it may be irritating the IBS.Why are you questioning its IBS? Not that a lot of people don''t, but in your case what do you think?

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Some antiacids with magnesium in them can cause d, so look out for that as it may be irritating the IBS.Why are you questioning its IBS? Not that a lot of people don''t, but in your case what do you think?

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
By the way, antacids containing aluminum, might cause C. Just fyi

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
By the way, antacids containing aluminum, might cause C. Just fyi

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
also the"feeling of incomplete evacuation is not used for an IBS diagnoses, but helps support the diagnoses.have you ever had a sitz marker test for c?have you ever been checked for Outlet obstruction type constipation (pelvic floor dyssynergia)The external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation. "ConstipationThe symptoms of constipation are infrequent bowel movements [usually less than 3 per week], passage of hard stools, and sometimes difficulty in passing stools. One motility problem that can lead to constipation is a decrease in the number of high amplitude propagating contractions [slow transit] in the large intestine. The test used to detect this is a transit time (Sitzmark) study. http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
also the"feeling of incomplete evacuation is not used for an IBS diagnoses, but helps support the diagnoses.have you ever had a sitz marker test for c?have you ever been checked for Outlet obstruction type constipation (pelvic floor dyssynergia)The external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation. "ConstipationThe symptoms of constipation are infrequent bowel movements [usually less than 3 per week], passage of hard stools, and sometimes difficulty in passing stools. One motility problem that can lead to constipation is a decrease in the number of high amplitude propagating contractions [slow transit] in the large intestine. The test used to detect this is a transit time (Sitzmark) study. http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html

·
Registered
550 Posts
shortyflygyrl,I have had problems with gastritis along with minor ulcerations of the duodenum, and I can definitely say it greatly aggravated my IBS symptoms, but was not the sole cause of them. I have read that stomach acid should have no real influence on IBS, but I can only relate what I know. My symptoms were nausea, vomiting, very painful and violent contractions of the stomach/intestines, as well as an increase in the usual IBS symptoms. If you suspect you may have gastritis, maybe you should see a doctor, but I don't believe the condition would cause significant IBS-type symptoms in people not otherwise predisposed to them. (Just a hunch. I have no evidence to back this up.) I agree with eric that antacids are probably not the best thing, as they contain magnesium. I have had very good results with Zantac 150mg along with periodic treatments with Protonix. Best of luck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
shortyflygyrl,I have had problems with gastritis along with minor ulcerations of the duodenum, and I can definitely say it greatly aggravated my IBS symptoms, but was not the sole cause of them. I have read that stomach acid should have no real influence on IBS, but I can only relate what I know. My symptoms were nausea, vomiting, very painful and violent contractions of the stomach/intestines, as well as an increase in the usual IBS symptoms. If you suspect you may have gastritis, maybe you should see a doctor, but I don't believe the condition would cause significant IBS-type symptoms in people not otherwise predisposed to them. (Just a hunch. I have no evidence to back this up.) I agree with eric that antacids are probably not the best thing, as they contain magnesium. I have had very good results with Zantac 150mg along with periodic treatments with Protonix. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.