Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just discovered this board and been reading it alot. From your posts, it seems to me there are three types of C: C as in D and C alternating, classic IBS-C dominant, and slow motility C. Is that right? If so, why are these three tribes under one tent? Don't I really want to get diet and other recommendations on say, bananas, only from my slow-mo buddies? Isn't that one reason why what works vary so widely?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes I agree Citylady. As a slow mo type I would just love the threads to be more specific to types. How can we organize this? Maybe by just starting up threads specific to our individual problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:please ckeck out this web site http://www.colonichealth.com
This site contains a lot of bogus info.
quote:There aren't 3 types of C, there is only one type.
This is false. The term constipation can be used in different ways: infrequent defecation, straining, and incomplete evacuation are also described as constipation. Technically, only the first one is "true" constipation.Studies seem to indicate there is a functional constipation which does not involve altered transit and a refractory constipation, which does.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So what would functional constipation be caused by? I've never been able to understand what constipation would be caused by if not by altered/slow motility. Jimmye

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can have hard, dry, hard to pass stools that exit the body in the normal 72 hour time frame. Which is what you are likely to see in functional constipation.This often is helped by eating more fiber, drinking more water which alters the stool consistancy so it comes out easier.In slow-motility it can take longer than 72 hours to get out of the body, sometimes much more than 72 hours and increasing fiber tends to only bog things down even more.K.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:So what would functional constipation be caused by? I've never been able to understand what constipation would be caused by if not by altered/slow motility
Lack of fiber. Americans eat a lot of refined carbohydrates (sugar and simple starch) with little fiber.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the clarification on functional and refractory C. Aren't there then different dietary recommendations ? Shouldn't people who are prone to refractory C stop taking fiber when they have problems and drink/eat different things? Shouldn't they ordinarily eat less fiber at one time, or only certain types? Maybe avoid foods or vitamins that are known to slow things down?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think the idea of separate threads is a good one.But how can we,mere mortals,bring this about?I've got a very long colon with slow motility.If I take fibre supplements(I eat a lot of fibre and drink lots anyway),I'll just get more bloated,unless I use a motility aid of some kind.It's true that some advice people give will be of no benefit to someone with a different type of problem - eg.probiotics won't help if you don't need them and exclusion diets are pointless if food intolerance is not a problem.Similarly,someone with IBS C.might get help from anti-spasmodics that wouldn't help someone like me.In my case,fibre supplements alone just lead to a more distended,blocked up plumbing system,and the standard colon self-massage won't work because my colon is curving and coiling all over the shop(I couldn't possibly follow it unless I stuck my hands inside!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have slow transit C, and am just thrilled to hear that other people exist who find that traditional C therapies (fiber, prunes, etc.) don't work, even make thing worse. (Don't you just hate when people suggest these things as if we haven't tried them -- it just adds insult to injury.)I just read that heat can sometimes help. I have a heat pack, and am trying it on my tummy today. Anyone have success with this?I think linking IBS to my slow transit C has been revelatory. It makes sense that my colon is stressed, and TLC is what helps most (not more harsh fiber or stimulants.) Not eating when I feel bad sees to help a lot, like it gives my tummy time to rest and recouperate. Chewing foods well, eating and drinking slowly, etc. have helped too.What have others of you done that helps soothe a stressed colon that decides to clinch instead of pulse?from an IBS-Cer who hasn't had D in decades.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Flux...I have a feeling that you are more medically minded..that's why you think that info on that site is bogus. Did I not say that everybody's system re-acts differently? There is only one definition of "C" "Difficult,incomplete,or infrequent evacuation of the bowels". How it comes out, all depends on how unhealthy the colon is.I'm here to provide everyone with the opportunity to discover the powerful benefits of natural health! Suki

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:There is only one definition of "C" "Difficult,incomplete,or infrequent evacuation of the bowels". How it comes out, all depends on how unhealthy the colon is.
No, the colon can be healthy and constipated simultaneously: that is just lack of fiber. Also, the defintion is wrong as noted above.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Funny...that definition is from the Dictionary!Sorry a healthy colon does not have a problem with constipation , but I do agree that when people do have constipation and all the other symptoms, it is lack of fiber, and a well balanced diet. Milk can also be a factor now day's. You should drink Soy milk, Goats milk or Organic Milk.Here's is another web site to check out http://www.alivepublishing.com click on the moon icon. Click on any link, go to search type in "Purify Yourself" . Two magazines will come up. the 2002 has alot of food info the other 2003 is about Purifying yourself.You can also search for the "Milk" article. This is a great Magazine published in Canada. You might even beable to pick up a copy once a month at your health store.Suki

·
Registered
840 Posts
Suki1I don't agree with unhealthy colon=constipation. I had a colonoscopy and am happy to report that my colon is as healthy as can be. Drinking soy milk for me would not be good, I get very bloated and painful intestines for a few days from beans of any kind. Why would organic milk be any less organic than "organic" milk? Regular milk comes from the cow just as much as "organic", no?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: had a colonoscopy and am happy to report that my colon is as healthy as can be.
How can a colonscopy tell you that your colon has or doesn't have a motility problem?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know if I have a motolity problem or not, doctor didn't get into that, just that they haven't found anything abnormal like growths ect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Jo-Jo! Do you live in Quebec?...I'm from Val D'or!Anyways you can't get the April issue yet from the web site I gave you ,but if you go to your natural health store or the health department in the food store...you still might get it.I'll give a quote form the Alive magazine for you about milk."A glass of, cold fresh milk is an inviting image seen daily in the media. This marketing image belies the fact that modern milk production is a cornerstone of processed food production. Unless your purchase organic milk, the milk you buy in the supermarkets or at the corner grocer is no longer "natural," but undergoes a host of processes including pasteurization and homogenization.The resulting product is a pale image of its former self,it's digestibility and nutritional value having been compromised, often contributing to human ailments ranging from lactose intolarance and heart disease to life-threatening allergies. What follows are some problems brought about by conventional dairy processing.Milk processing begins when the cows are fed antibiotics to treat illness including mastitis (infection of the udder). This practice leads to antibiotic residues in the cow,s milk, which is compounded by the fact that after milking, the product is shipped to a central collection facility where residues effectively contaminate the entire supply."Well I think you get the picture.There are some people that are allergic to soy, so drink organic or goats milk. They say that goats milk is the closest to human milk. Also if you eat dark leafy veggies and almonds are a good source of calcium.Drinking ALOT of milk also is one of the cause to constipation.Suki

·
Registered
30 Posts
Constipation is defined by the consistency of the end product - a constipated stool is hard, dry, lacking water. Frequency of stooling does not define constipation, although it may be a feature of the stooling pattern.The gross average human transit time from ingestion of food, through digestion, absorption and defecation is 23-27 hours. As with all generalizations, these numbers may be very inaccurate for some functioning colons.If you consider the many other differences between human beings, it is not surprising that transit times thru the gastrointestinal (GI) tract vary too. It is also not surprising that some foods, in some people, tend to slow or speed up transit times.There is only one secret to reducing your personal frequency of constipation and that is to learn about your own body. Not one thing posted is going to be your one personal magic answer, although using another's postings of what works/does not work for him/her may give you ideas about what to try. And only try changing one thing at a time for a few days, otherwise you will not learn which item is working/not working for you.I concur with flux about Suki's postings and web site. Approach with caution; buyer beware.And incidentally - having nursed (I'm an RN) children close to death from receiving unpasteurized (farm fresh) milk, I'm a skeptic about the benefits of this. When discussing allergies, always remember than anyone may be or may become allergic to any substance at any time. This includes goats' milk, soy milk and any other ingested substance. Allergy can be a life-threatening issue; do not use the term lightly. Some of us are just intolerant of some substances i.e. we know they do not "agree" with us too well. Use the term "intolerant" when talking about these substances.Do not confuse lactose intolerance with allergy. Lactose intolerance is caused by the lack of or reduction of lactase - an enzyme - needed to digest milk sugar (lactose). Lactose intolerance is usually a genetic problem, although sometimes people can become lactose intolerant either permanently or temporarily after another illness e.g. a GI viral or bacterial illness. This is common in toddlers after viral illness.I do concur with possible problems associated with trace hormones in milk and that organically raised cows would seem to solve this problem. However, how do organic farmers ensure their cows do not have mastitis and that the organisms causing the mastitis are not in the milk, unless the milk is pasteurized? (Mastitis is also very painful for the cow - hear the bellowing once and you'll be thankful for antibiotics.)I hope this helps to clarify some issues. All of us with GI problems are best helped by listening to others and learning to manage our own particular GI tract, one small change at a time.Dietary safeguards lie in eating a wide variety of foods.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes Suki i'm from Quebec. Thank you for the info. I drink lactose free milk, would be nice to find some organic lactose free. There is a farm around my house where we got our goat's milk just a few minutes out of the goat. I find if it's straight out of the goat you don't get that goaty taste but found that i was burping the goat taste for a few days after drinking the milk, for that reason i don't drink goat's milk anymore. I don't have an allergy to milk and am not even sure if i am lactose intolerant even but what i do know is if i drink regular milk i get very bloated and have intense intestinal pain for a few days. My gastro doctor tells me i'm not lactose intolerant because i don't have D after drinking it, so i don't know.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts