Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
5-HT3 antagonistsInclude ondanestron, granisetron, Lotronex (alosetron), cilanestron, and Remeron (Mirtazapine).1) Attenuate visceral pain due to rectal distension. 2) Delay colonic transit. 3) Increase fluid absorption in small intestine. 4) Relieve abdominal pain and discomfort.5-HT4 agonists Include Zelmac (tegaserod) and prucalopride.1) Directly inhibit spinal afferent neurons, which would reduce sensations from the gut. 2) Enhance peristalsis and colonic transit. 3) Stimulate intraluminal secretion of chloride, which would add fluid to the gut promoting evacuation.4) Improve global GI symptoms, abdominal pain and discomfort, bowel movement, and bloating.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks Flux, for the info. I had been wondering about this also. Do you know where Paxil fits into all of this? I had horrible side effects on Paxil and don't want to get a hold of anything that remotely resembles it. Remeron is supposed to be kind of like Lotronex but it's classified as an anti-depressant. Do you know if it's more similiar to Lotronex or Paxil? I appreciate any info. you have. ****trying to live without Lotronex*******

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, all. i should explain more what i'm looking for. Obviously i'm doing this for personal reasons as i'm interested in getting better, but i came across an explanation of this in a professional cme program along with a chart of the differences. i'm willing to get permission to reproduce this and try and turn it into something the layperson can understand as i think it's important for many, but i don't want to go to all the trouble if it exists already.tom

G

·
Totally off the wall here...but..... theses meds have "this" and do "that." The other meds have "this" and don't do "that." All the words are very hard to understand for many..but..heres where I'm going off the wall...or slamming into it???
. Pictures speak louder than words...and also reaches more parts of the brain, hence better overall understanding. Perhaps replacing the human body picture with something that is more easily understood. For instance. A computer will not work properly without a mouse?? Yeah it will work but all the keys to push. Not to say use the PC thing. but...do you know what I mean or maybe I should go over to the "corner" of the wall now????
Deb------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
antidepressants are related in that they act on 5-HT but do so in the brain and even experts at this point are not sure because of the blood/brain barrier. This was one of the problems with the release of the lotronex - too much poorly understood information being act on and disseminated through health information media sources that have only a dim understanding.let's get good information and get it out.tom

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
3 good Doctors are working on my IBS (for 2 years now) and they have me on Serzone to increase the amount of some kind of endorphin dealy bob by blocking some kind of "synamptic receptor site thing?" that sounded a lot like that h3t (5-ht3?) thing you guys are talking about. I think it helps.I posted my medical notes yesterday under the post: Hi, New Member if you want more medical mumbo jumbo(fartman)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay, everyone out of the corner, here's the scoop (for dog lovers) on endorphins.Remember those baby toys with the square, triangle, round, etc. holes in them? The trick was for baby to "get the round peg in the round hole".Well, braincells talk to each other in a similar fashion. Each connection from cell to cell has a little gap in it full of chemicals that are a lot like the baby toy blocks. Each one is shaped different. One cell sends a message through a long wire called an Axiom (Sp?) That message might be: "Three Squares, five Rectangles and a Triangle!". Well, there are dozens of these different shaped "endorphins" floating around in that gap I mentioned and, sure enough, when the command comes down they quickly obey by rushing to the other end of the gap where there are little "receptor sites" or holes that are just the right shape for them to fit in just like the baby toy. Sometimes we use up all our "triangles" too soon and when a cell commands "send some triangles!" there aren't any there to send.If 3 squares, 5 rectangles, and 1 triangle means: "CALM DOWN! YOUR GETTING UPSET OVER NOTHING!", and we are out of triangles, well, how can the cell send it's message? It can't, or worse, the message is altered. Doctors give us "Triangle Blockers" that stop up the triangle hole in the receptor site so we don't use them up so fast. Some say excess worry uses up all our "triangles" so there are none left when we really need them.Am I making any sense or should I just go back to farting?

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my basic point was that we are trying to talk about something that at this point is not clear yet to even the experts. It does seem like if we put our information together it would be helpful, yes?tom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes. A basic explanation of synaptic process might be in order too. The enteric system works the same way."Prozac" for the gut might be a way, but I'm hoping for a cognitive therapy that could nip the problem before it even gets down the Vegas Nerve. My real fear is that they will discover that the system can't be 'rebooted' after it's broke.In other words, our IBS will be with us for the rest of our lives. bummer.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FPHHT - interesting comment about cognitive therapy - done right it appears to make the same changes in the same way in the same place in the brain as antidepressnts do - research and clinical experience.tomp.s., i'm hoping as you are on the 'beboot' issue.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
G

·
Fphht,Love the triangle and square thing.
Would like it if CT could be the "fix" but it does take time. Last I counted there were 10 cognitive distortions. I think many people with IBS or any other chronic "syndrome" get blasted with overgeneralization and the good ol' Mental Filter. I don't take ANY meds for Ibs but there are many times when I wish I could.Que Sera SeraDeb------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think brksmom hit the ticket here based on what the shrink is telling me. She, (the shrink) says that many of us are nervous or suffer anxiety disorders because we use up important endorphins faster than "normal" people. Since these endorphins are the catalyst of brain activity, she concludes we might actually be more intelligent because our brains "work harder". Unfortunately, the side effect of using up our HT3 (Seratonin) and MAO site articulators (endorphins) leaves us with no 'good' neurotransmitters when we really need them: (when we are SCARED). Without 'good' endorphins we end up in the out of control situation termed: PANIC!She thinks this is exposed more now because modern society is less predictable and more stressful, and natural selection has not kept up. (We are all dinosaurs folks). If your brains nervous system has this deficiency so shall your enteric nervous system. When your gut runs out of 'good' the next step is: PANIC! So, the gut empties itself ASAP; (throws out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak).Stupid Science! (DOE!) 'homer simpson'

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.