Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curous if anyone has tried this.I understand that it helps produce an increase in seratonin levels.It works a little different than SSRI's in that it doesn't act as a synapse and it is herbal.Seems to have wonderful reviews but I was concerned that since it is absorbed through the intestinal walls that it might have the opposite affect of lotronex and cause diarreah...Could be a question for Doctor Spock....I mean Flux?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've heard the same about 5 HTP but I don't know how if affects IBS. Flux is the last person you should ask, however, as he is totally opposed to anything natural or alternative. Don't bother responding to my comment, Flux. Maybe you can get more info on it at an alternative medicine website.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Since you've told Flux not to bother to respond, maybe I'll answer for him: No, he's certainly not opposed to "anything natural." Quite the contrary. Most medicines, as Flux and all of us know, come from natural sources.But 5HTP tryptophan was the subject of a long post about a week ago -- started, in fact, by a question I asked. The problem (as several, including Flux responded) was that some brands of this supplement, were found to be contaminated, much as L-Tryptophan was back in 1989-1990, causing quite a few deaths.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I'm a believer in herbs, but lately I've gotten nervous because of the reports of contaminatons, and also because of reports of drugs found in some of them.I remember when L-Tryptophan was taken off the market. I knew someone who was recommending it to people and she sure hurried to tell them to stop taking it when the news came out. If you do a search on 5HTP you'll find the post and the article that was linked to it. I believe the article said 5HTP shared some of the characteristics as L-Tryptophan. But I'll have to look at it to see exactly what it was.JeanG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.