Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just fired my "new" GI doc. called him last Tuesday to get blood test results, and was told the nurse would call back. Called Wednesday, and was told the same thing, and I mentioned the side effect of the Questran. Again, the nurse would have to call back. Called several times on Thursday, got voice mail, left messages, ditto on Friday. Called 3 times today, finally got a live body after 3 messages. "Maggie WHO? Spell your last name?" EGADS, DO YOU LISTEN TO YOUR MESSAGES????? "The nurse will have to call you back." NO! We have played that game for almost a week now. I want to talk to her NOW! On hold for 10 minutes, the nurse calls back, tells me that she will call the doc (where IS he???) and get back with me. I told her I leave work at 3, and to leave me voice mail at home with blood test results and WHAT the Doc thinks I should do about the side effects. I got home at 3:10, and there was a voice mail left AT 3. "This is Patty at Dr _____'s office. I want to help you with your difficulties, give me a call." I called IMMEDIATELY, and got their answering machine. I was PISSED, and told them I was NOT calling back, I was NOT coming in again, and this is why, and proceeded to list off all the reasons, and telling them that they needed to at least PRETEND that they cared about the health and well being of their patients. If they cannot do that, well then I HOPED that they went out of business REAL soon. I am pretty upset about this, and of course this just set off another whopping IBS attack, been to my throne 5 times in the last hour. YUCH------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
ugh! you've been through a lot. I'm glad you fired the doc and told him off. I know what you mean about docs not returning calls; I've tried to call about my medication, too, and have had no luck. I hope you manage to get in to see a new doc soon.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Oh Maggie, I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!! Your post really hit home with me too. It is so irritating to not get an answer to a simple question out of your doc's office...and don't even get me started on voice mail...sheesh! Hubby and I own our own business and have private health insurance with a whopper of a deductible. So I go to the doc, get treated like #### and pay out of my pocket for the pleasure of being treated like I'm crazy or a idiot!I decided a couple of months ago to write letters whenever I feel I have been wronged or not heard by my doc's. This has been effective as I have gotten return calls on both letters I have sent. A letter (physical evidence) is harder to ignore than a phone call.Unfortunately we are living in an age where we have to fight for decent healthcare.I hope you get a great referral for another doc that listens to your needs and gives you support.------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Maggie,You sure have had more than your share of rotten things these last few days. Sorry about that. Fired your doctor? That's a good thing because he didn't seem to be very concerned about you. Have all your side effects subsided now that you quit the Questran? Hope you are feeling better Maggie.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sorry about all this, Maggie. Yikes. My GI would only see me once (I guess doctors, as someone else said here, once they learn its IBS, pretty much cut you loose), but he's never failed to return a call. I don't remember where you went -- was it a teaching hospital? You said something about an intern. How about calling the IFFGD and getting some referrals? Or, maybe you need to go to Seattle after all?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I feel all better now. I sent him a VERY long e-mail laying out all the problems I saw, and told him why I was not coming back. I also decided that I WILL be my own doctor from now on. I have a GP who will do whatever I ask, so I just have to figure out the tests that need to be done, and ask her to do them, then extrapolate the diagnosis, and tell her how she needs to treat the problem... easy, eh? Hey, my throne has been my best friend tonight, and I am off to get some immodium at the 24 hour pharmacy..... TTYL!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought I'd mention something my Mom has done a few times. Write a letter to the doctor explaining the situation and saying that you have received no service for the very hefty fee he charged, and ask for your money back. It worked recently with my mom's Opthamologist. He didn't even check her eyes--a young smart-aleck technician did. The technician was so busy telling my mom how silly she was for wanting new glasses when she just got some last year, that she screwed up the prescription. The technician also spoke to my mom as if she were a child, in that loud patronizing tone people use with older people. Mom wrote to the doctor and received a check in the mail along with an invitation to seek a second opinion (permanently), which was OK since Mom had made an appt. with a new doctor already anyway.You can get a lot if you just ask for it.Debbie

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Maggie - let 'em have it! And anybody else who fights for good service - I salute you!
there's no reason we should have to put up with crappy service - I don't care if the docs went to medical school - we're paying them for a service, and like Debbie's Mom did, we should demand our money's worth. Stories like that make me so angry at the doctors who think that since they went to med school, they can condescend to the rest of the population. Grrrrrrrrr.------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat

G

·
Maggiew,It sure sounds like you've had a terrible week. Sometimes we have to go with our gut instinct and do what we feel is right for ourselves.I recently had that with that new gastro dr. I was seeing. He is supposed to be the best in the Dallas area. Written up in the paper and on TV. He's the one that did the sig flex and endonoscopy and said my stomach was a little irritated but thought that I had acid reflux and IBS. Dugh! I knew that. The new medicine he was prescribing just couldn't be making me sick.Well, 15 pounds of weight lost and paranoid about putting anything in my mouth later, I stopped the medicine. I feel so much better.Sometimes I think the drs now a days feel that they are God and can't make a mistake. They don't listen. Do they really care about how we are feeling, or are they too worried about that almight dollar? I'm not sure anymore.I think we are the only ones who really know what works and doesn't work for us. It took me a long time and lots of drs to understand that.Feel better soon and do what you think is best for you.Sherre

·
Registered
164 Posts
Go get em! It can be frustrating when the peope who are supposed to help you doesn't. They need to know when they aren't doing their job. I think they forget we're sick people who would like an answer. I had a Lower GI scheduled one time - went through the whole horrible prep. Went to the hospital for the prep - I had the nurse from hell! She was so rude and then ends up, they said I wasn't cleaned up enough to do it - go home and reschedule. I just cried and walked out - never rescheduled. My point is (yes, I do have one) - I wish I did what you did and called and let them have it. You have my respect for doing it. And I hate to say it, but you may actually do better off treating yourself. As long as you have a great GP, you'll probably get along just fine! Prayers are with you! Rebecca

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eek it gets worse! I called today to AGAIN ask for my blood test results. (It IS my blood, and I will pay for the test, I deserve the results, right? Even if I fired the doc!) The receptionist answered the phone. I told her who I was, and told her I was calling AGAIN for my blood test results. "Did someone here call and ask you to call in for results?" No, it has been 2 weeks, and I WANT the results. "The nurse has your chart then and is in a proceedure, she will have to call you back." No, that is the problem, she does NOT call back. I will hold. I have a speaker phone. "Sigh, I guess you will have to wait then." 10 minutes of BAD radio music later, she comes back on the line. "The office manager has your chart, and you will have to talk to her before you get the blood test results." Ok, put her on the phone. "She isn't here now." Fine, so GET my chart, and read me the blood test results. You DO have my chart don't you??? "Well it seems that you wrote a letter to the doctor..." YES, I WROTE HIM A LETTER, IT WAS E-MAIL AND I FIRED HIM BECAUSE OF THE INCOMPETENCE OF THE OFFICE STAFF!!!!! "Well, the office manager has to talk to you." I don't think so. Look, why don't you just tell me what lab you sent the blood to. I will call them and have them send a copy of the results... "No, they will only release them to us." Well, then what do I have to do to get those results THIS week??? "What address do you want to have us send them to?" The one in my chart. "What would that address be?" Have you lost my chart??? "What number can the office manager call you at?" None during the daytime. I am not allowed personal calls at work. Leave me a message at my home number with the test results. "What number would that be?" Listen to your voice mail, it is there a dozen times, and is ALSO in my chart, do you know WHERE that is??? "Well, we had a new girl working reception, and she was sickly, and was doing a poor job because of that." Well, you are a doctors office, if she was SICK, she should have stayed home, and if she was THAT sick, she NEEDED the doctor to treat her. Don't ya think? And if she could not pass on messages, answer the phone, or listen to voice mail, and the Doc LET her work there, and didn't handle her illness, then I really CAN't trust him with MY health, now can I??? SEND ME THE TEST RESULTS BEFORE I TEST THE DOCS MALPRACTICE INSURANCE! Then I hung up. I was SO bad, and again it felt SO good!------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
Maggie,That makes me so mad, I could just SPIT! (I don't think I spelled that right).My thoughts and prayers are with you.Love,Bettie------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Maggie -- is it possible (and I know you work and it's time consuming) that you could see one of your other doctors? They could have the damn results faxed over that hour while you are there! I have a GP who wouldn't send me my tests for C Difficile (which I wanted to take to another doctor) until another doctor ordered them, imagine? They were my tests! It's not quite illegal to do that, and sometimes they make you sign a release to get them yourself -- but In rare instances have I seen this. Most will certainly cooperate (although, again, it always has to come from the nurse or office manager. They make it real hard). The hanging up may have made you feel good at the time, but you're left with the frustration. So I'd try and cut through -- even if it means marching down there.

G

·
Maggie, You shouldn't have had to go through all this nevermind you still don't have the results. I applaud you for losing this Dr. It makes you wonder who is paying who here. You could remind him that when customers have a bad experience we tell about 20 people.....I'm with Bettie, I could Spit too. Jackie

·
Registered
370 Posts
maggiew - that's why I like my gastro. Took 4 or 5 to find him but I would not trade him for all the tea in china. He cares so much that each time you go to see him before he examines you he sits you in HIS OFFICE, not the exame room and talks to you for 15 minutes to see how you are doing and how your meds are going with your body. Askes about any lifestyle changes etc to see how your environment may be effecting your condition. Then he examines you and gives you any prescriptions if necessary and thanks you for coming in and if there are any problems to please be sure to stop by or call and when you call you get a human voice and they REMEMBER YOU!! One day he was 7 minutes late (no this is not a typo error) yes only 7 minutes late and he apologized to everyone in the waiting room, he was late coming back from the hospital, he had an emergency. A GREAT DOCTOR HE IS !!Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.