Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband, bless his heart was up past midnight researching the web for help for his wife who is ALWAYS sick.My story is that I have Fibromyalgia and have had it for years. IBS comes along with that illness. In my 20's/30's I had IBS-D.For the past five years, I have been IBS-C. My latest doctor and frankly, my last one, kind of done with them all, as they do not know what to do either.My diagnosis was, IBS-C Severe, I was told my GI was in a knot, very up tight! Duh....that was not a diagnosis that was what I KNEW!I even told him that before the test. I also suffer from gluten intolerance but my test came back negative. But give me gluten and I am sick.I am at the point of not wanting to eat, my stomach backs up so regular that eating is becoming like a weapon in my mind and intestines. It doesn't matter what I eat, I eat healthy that hurts me, I grab something on the go, that hurts me.I can go days without eating and still no relief. I am told to increase my fiber, but fiber is my enemy it just makes IBS-C worse!I am taking Phillips Colon Health and that seemed to help for a couple of weeks, but not anymore.I keep thinking some where there is an answer to this but have not found it yet.Can anyone with IBS-C, give any insight on a medication, a diet, anything that works for you?I'm at the end of my rope with this - I'm tired of feeling toxic all the time. Tired of the pain, swelling and all IBS has to offer.Any advice that has helped you, would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Youngs I can tell you that not eating is NOT good. When we eat we have a colonic response. The act of eating will actually stimulate our colons. So by you not eating.. you may be making the C worse. So I would NOT skip anymore meals. Loads of info here so hopefully you will find some treatments to help you.Please use the site navigator down on the bottom right of every page and go to our Constipation Forum (or any other forums that seem to apply to you) for much more info. Read other's posts there. Use the "Search Function" (up to the rigth in blue tool bar)to search on things or treatments etc... and then posts any questions you may have.All the best

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that is true that I have found that even not eating doesn't help and does make it worse.I am glad my husband found this source and I will check out what you have noted. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to this site - i too am fed up - suffering w/chronic constipation/have stomach pain even after eliminating - i can't eat - am missing work and am just miserable. I want to give up. I keep praying the docs will find something to help me but to no avail. Have tried antidepressants, yoga, probiotics, drinking gallons of water. the pain is unbearable, so you are NOT alone.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
MisMis.. Welcome! :(Please check out our Constipation forum for more treatment ideas. Just use the site navigator down at the bottom right of the page by the "Go" tab & drop down arrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Youngs,I have been at this for about 30 years. What I mean by "at this" is trying to figure out why I hurt so much and how to fix it. I am now a 54 year old woman and it has become worse over the years. I don't know why it has hit me but I now see the pattern starting with my young adult children and I realize my father must have suffered with it too, undiagnosed. It must be hereditary for some people.I have found out a few things that may help you if you want to experiment, I am listing what I know below. Many people who have ibs are lactose intolerant. I am. Stay away from all diary religiously. That includes the small amounts in baking products, mashed potatoes, chocolate, etc. read labels and treat it like a deadly allergy and see if you get some relief.Don't eat any take-out, pack your own meals and snacks and don't eat out any place that can't cater to specific dietary needs.While high fat foods are not recommended, make sure you ingest a good amount of healthy oil (canola and olive oil) daily. Stir fry vegetables, fish, chicken whatever. Not enough fat increases the constipation. Put me on any kind of weight loss diet and my bowels stop up. Get some fat into the diet. Omega 3 supplements or salmon oil can help.Eat lots of vegetables, but cook them. Raw causes gas. Monitor what fruits set you off.Stay away from tea and coffee for while and see if that helps.I am currently experimenting with a wheat free diet and it is helping me.Start each day with a soluble fiber cereal like oatmeal. Watch the labels. Instant oatmeal often has milk powder. I buy quick oats and cook it in batches, reheating some every day in the microwave to save time.Develop a regular exercise routine. It keeps you strong and the endorphins relieve stress that seems to aggravate ibs.The pain is real, but try to keep moving. It will help you I promise. I have become a lot more disciplined with my diet and it is worth the effort. I hope to eventually find the answer to be free of pain and gas, it disrupts every part of my life, but I am trying. I have a healthy bmi of 22, I run and keep fit and at 54 I am in pretty good shape. When this first hit me, in my 20's, I was a little overweight and I allowed the pain to be an excuse to cling to comfort food and not exercise regularly. I have been through doctors, barium enemas, exploratory micro-surgery and a colonoscopy. The only test that came out positive was the lactose intolerance test. The answer when the docs can't diagnose it, is ibs. If you take control of your diet, health and get fit, you will feel like you have some control over your body. Take one baby step at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts