Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 1 pill on ondansetron per day for 5 days.I think it constipated me. No more D. But the pain continued, mainly in the morning.My question is:Does the antagonists of 5HT3 receptors help in pain? Or does it help only in D and urgency?Thanks,

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is a study on Lotronex for men. (I assume you are male) Sounds like a tie with placebo. Lotronex may work a little different than Ondansetron however.A study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in 2005 (Chang L, Ameen VZ, Dukes GE, McSorley DJ, Carter EG, Mayer EA) used a double blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess the effects of Lotronex in men with diarrhea-predominant IBS. Researchers recruited 662 men, half of whom received Lotronex in varying dosages, and half of whom received the placebo, for 12 weeks.Patients who had been given Lotronex at a dose of 1mg twice daily reported 53% rates of relief in terms of urgency and abdominal pain, compared to 40% in the placebo group. All doses of Lotronex resulted in firmer stools, but no significant results were seen in terms of urgency or number of bowel movements. Constipation was the most commonly reported side effect. Conclusion: Lotronex at 1mg twice daily provides adequate relief of IBS pain and discomfort, and improved stool consistency, in men with IBS-D.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had little pain relief, so I had Elavil added. Ive come to the conclusion that after my colon working so little to get out the loose movements, it is working harder and contracting more to move the formed bm's, causing pain.The Elavil has helped alot with the pain and urgency, as well as helping me take less Lotronex... I was on 4mg per day(2- 1mg tabs at night, 2 in morining). Now I only need 1 or 2 per day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.