Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 days of heaven... haven't felt this good in a year. I thank finding this web-site. Sure has helped me adjust my life. Dr said IBS about 2 weeks ago..put me on Dicetel.I'm reading Heathers web-site and now book.I have been taking calcium after dinner and now 1/2 a one with lunch as I'm craving diary real bad. I'm really watching what I eat and I'm de-stressing as much as I can. I find stress is the worst at bringing on attacks. I think doing all of this together is what is helping me at the moment. It is life changing....thats for sure.Merry Christmas !!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I am so glad you are feeling better. Just take things slow for a bit and give the calcium a chance to take hold and let your insides head a bit. Then you can try in small amounts things you thought you could not eat or drink slowly and see how it affects you now. I eat and drink things I avoided for years since being on the calcium. The less you take the better of any meds and over the counter meds too because they all have side effects. And the side effect of the calcium carbonate it constipation and thus the benefits for us who suffer or suffered from diarrhea on a daily basis. Good luck with the experiments and I hope this Christmas is a good one for you.Linda

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know, isn't it wonderful.Seen your post on the thread that I started the other day. It's just so fantastic - i'm almost getting used to it!!I need to take 3 or 4 a day, thats no hard ship so much easier to take than immodium.All the best for Christmas and new year.Jude

·
Registered
22 Posts
LNape - I was told by the GI dept. chair at Northwestern - to take 2000 mg. calcium daily cuz of my IBS-D and being small boned............is the chewable kind acceptable? Like everyone else reading this info - it's so so great! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
There is a chewable that has the same ingredients that the purple and white bottle of Caltrate which I have used or Sam's club version. The Caltrare Brand in the orange and white bottle is the chewable form. It should work as well I think. I have not tried it but some have and I have no bad feedback on it. Let me know if you need some help getting the dose worked out and if you want all the info I can email it to you. Just email me.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Scoop,I was wondering where the GI department came up the the idea of using the calcium to help diarrhea. From this board and all the success people have had. Linda

G

·
Please give me a story about calcium perhaps taking longer than 3 or 4 days to work -- so far not working for me and I have tried everything from gluten free diets to antidepressants! Anyone,,,,help?!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Linda - He told me the calcium would help with the diarrhea and also with me being small boned (my mom has osteoporosis). He was the first and only doc of the many that I've seen, tell me this was a must! He'd also suggested questran, which I tried, but it gave me heartburn, which I'd not had before - so then he said to use prilosec. I'm not real good with meds, so I thot - why take a med (questran) that I don't need (good colestral) and then it, in turn, makes me have to take another. So, I quit the questran and went back to immodium.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Calcium works much like the Questran by soaking up excess bile and water which if you do not have another reason for diarrhea my just be the cause. It is much easier to take but you need to look at everything you are taking even over the counter things to see if you have any other diarrhea causing meds that may be the cause,Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.