Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a bizarre question, but I’m curious about the possibility. Anyway, the question is: is it possible to have a large intestine transplant, and if so would it in theory “cure” the whole of IBS?

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Unclear if it would cure the IBS thing.I'm not sure how much of the Enteric Nervous System would come with the Colon, or if you could hook the new one up to the old one properly.Also may not deal with any of the differences seen in brain regions that interact with the Enteric Nervous System (things that light up different when you trigger rectal hypersensitivity in IBSer in PET scan type of things).K.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:the question is: is it possible to have a large intestine transplant,
No. The large intestine is not transplanted because it's not an organ critical to life and transplantation poses such a risk of immunorejection that it necessitates the use of lifelong anti-immunorejectio therapy. Those drugs in turn make a person signficantly susceptible to serious ilness from what would otherwise be minor infections.
quote:I'm not sure how much of the Enteric Nervous System would come with the Colon, or if you could hook the new one up to the old one properly.
The enteric nervous system is self-contained in the intestine wall, so it would definnitely come along.
quote: (things that light up different when you trigger rectal hypersensitivity in IBSer in PET scan type of things).
These nerves would have no connections to the transplanted section, so unless there was a phantom pain phenonmenon taking place (not that II know about), that would also be "fixed".However, the enteric nervous system is a functional continuum from end to end and that would get disrupted, so the few people who have had can have symptoms that may, in fact, be worse than IBS. For one thing, the brain in the head is needed to expand and empty the stomach and also to initiate defecation. Those things would no longer work properly. Still, the problem of immunorejection and related problems, such as lymphoproliferative disease, are already enough to deal with!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Ronin1 I have had IBS-C for 15 years however since last 3 years I have been on Homoeopathy and it has worked for me. But I know Flux, my buddy will not agree and I could care less as I now rarely visit this IBS BBoard. There have been many debates as to the "proven" treatment as regards to Homoeopathy. I did also think of getting a transpant like you but as for the reasons mentioned by Flux and others which I do agree its not possible to get large intestinal transplant. However some folks have opted for Colostomy (involves getting rid of small intestine (or large?) thru surgery and putting a bag for collection of excreta).As far as I am concerned Homoeopathy is working fine for me so if you can find a good skilled homoeopath it will be great.And as far the views regarding homoeopathy on this BB, well all I will say they may explore other options ( and all fail except CBT which folks seem to be helped by it) We know conventional meds can "manage" IBS to what extenet depends on the individuals severity of IBS. But homoeopathy does not cure but I would say I am 80% better which is far then what I could ever achieve thru Allopathy.take careGary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.