Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to see my primary care physician. During our discussion I told him that I had IBS-D. OF COURSE I had to tell him about the beautiful discovery of calcium on this thread.When I said, "I went on the Internet..." he started chuckling.
I said, "You can laugh all you want, but taking calcium 3-4 times a day means that after 20 years of IBS, I am diarrhea-free." We went on to talk about why calcium might relieve the symptoms of diarrhea. When all was said and done he said, "I'll have to tell my patients about calcium. I have a lot of female patients with IBS."Thanks again to Linda and all the other IBS sufferers who offer their advice and frienship.
Jen

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. My doctor's take on calcium is that it works to open up the nerve receptors, therefore allowing the brain-gut digestive signals to be sent. He went on to say that caffeine blocks calcium and suggested reducing caffeine intake when you if you are taking calcium supplements. Something to think about...

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:My doctor's take on calcium is that it works to open up the nerve receptors, therefore allowing the brain-gut digestive signals to be sent.
This makes no sense to me at all.
quote:He went on to say that caffeine blocks calcium and suggested reducing caffeine intake when you if you are taking calcium supplements
there might be something connection between consumption of calcium and its absorption and loss from the body, though. At the moment, we only have only anecdotal reports that calcium consumption via pills helps with functional diarrhea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts