Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, wow... am I happy that I'm not alone, but GOD I feel sorry for all of us. I just have a few questions:I used to do a lot of drugs (cocaine, ecstacy, you name it), and I drank a lot of alcohol...and I drank a lot of coffee and smoked a lot of cigarettes.....please don't judge my past decisions--I'm on the right track now. However, I really feel like this has done some damage, and I am now suffering leaky gas as a result. (Perhaps I am being punished....though, I know a lot of people who live the same lifestyle and don't have the same problems as me). Has anyone else made this connection? Also, I don't have a general fecal body odor. Sometimes I don't smell at all. But sometimes, when I'm sitting down for long enough I notice a fecal smell wafting up from my anal region. Like I passed gas. When I fart or have a BM it doesn't smell particularly different from anyone else, which makes me think the leaky gas is a result of....I don't know, a metabolic disorder? Candida?I've figured out that I usually smell when I have to go number 2. It's like my rectum wants the world to know. When I have a BM, the smell usually goes away. Does this happen to anyone else? By the end of some days, if I don't go, I absolutely REEK. F*@k this is so embarrassing. I'm starting to become socially anxious. People have made comments so I know it's not Olfactory blah blah blah. I'm starting to fear eating. But I'd rather be abnormally skinny and hungry all the time than smell like ######. any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. peace and love and good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gas can stink, feces always do. This it not a metabolic problem or pathogen issue.Some people have more sulfur reducing bacteria than others so their gas is stinker than people who have a lot of methane producing bacteria (these two bacteria live in the same part of the colon and usually one or the other, but not both, predominate the ecological niche).Bad lifestyle choices do effect health, but it is isn't a specific punishment, just bodies sometimes wear out and get damaged and which parts get it the worse depends on your particular anatomy, genetics, and what other problems you may have. And every health problem that happens also happens to people who did all the right things. They usually have more anger than shame when something breaks (but I did everything right and this wasn't supposed to happen to me).No eating usually is constipating and if not going every day makes this worse than not eating will make this worse. So that may not be a good long term strategy, especially if you eat so little you fall into the underweight category which can also damage your health.A couple of things can help with the sulfur reducing bacteria.1. Feed them less. They make the smelly gases from sulfur in the diet. So limit protein to 3-4 ounces per meal or less. If you have volume issues fill up the rest of the plate with cooked veggies (will also make you go) or stick to lower gas carbs like rice rather than high gas carbs like beans and wheat.You may also have to limit things like onions and garlic that while they don't have much protein they have other sulfur containing compounds (why they are pungent).2. If not going makes it worse, make sure you get enough fiber and water and maybe even take a low dose of an osmotic to make you go. Sounds like you tended to take things that stimulate the bowel to go so you may need to give it a bit of help to make sure it keeps going. It gets used to having extra stimulants around just like the nerves in your head (there is a huge set of nerves needed to control the gut).3. If it doesn't constipate you to much see if Pepto Bismol (or other bismuth containing internal deodorant products like Devrom) work. Bismuth binds to the sulfur gases and what isn't in the air can't be smelled.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As far as food goes, listen to Kathleen. She knows what she's talking about. I also found that carbs make things worse like potatoes, wheat, come cereals & waffles, bread, and pasta. Also lettuce and if you're going to drink juice, water it down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The same thing hapened to me after cronic workplace pesticide exposure.I think this will become much more common as more pesticide becomes an ingredient in our foods. Physical stress from some of the things you did probably damaged your organs. Probably not a serious health issue, but very uncomfortable. The cells that line the intestines are replaced weekly. They can stop producing digestive enzymes when that hapens. That can also affect pancreas enzymes. You might have lost the ability to digest milk sugar or table sugar. If you can't digest it then it is left behind for hungry bacteria (no pun intended). The problem may get better if you stop eating/drinking whatever the bacteria are using for food. Wishing everyone well.

G

·
Hi "anotherone"Do you use probiotics? I am wondering if this might help you. I take PB8's...they are mild but effective enough...the ones that are much stronger (and more expensive!) simply tear up my insides. Also, have you ever done a seasalt water cleanse? Its quick and very cleansing with little discomfort involved and is overwith in several hours. If you are interested, let me know by reply and I'll write up the very simple recipee for you...I can include the website, too... my family and I tend to vary slightly from the 'recipee'... Just know no one here is criticizing or judging you. I'm PROUD of you for being so upfront and honest! Good for you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've figured out that I usually smell when I have to go number 2. It's like my rectum wants the world to know. When I have a BM, the smell usually goes away. Does this happen to anyone else? By the end of some days, if I don't go, I absolutely REEK.
I usually stink, but especially when there's stuff just waiting to come out. I'm trying to get more fiber so my stools will be better formed and not so sticky'n'mushy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I usually stink, but especially when there's stuff just waiting to come out. I'm trying to get more fiber so my stools will be better formed and not so sticky'n'mushy.
i noticed this too. anyone wonder why this is? if its worse when theres a lot of stool in the rectum what does that say? that the smell is somehow leaking out of the rectum? i always thought it could be something to do with the sphincter spasming, allowing smell to escape but who knows. the smell is definitely way less or gone right after a good BM. of course it starts back up again later on

·
Registered
41 Posts
i noticed this too. anyone wonder why this is? if its worse when theres a lot of stool in the rectum what does that say? that the smell is somehow leaking out of the rectum? i always thought it could be something to do with the sphincter spasming, allowing smell to escape but who knows. the smell is definitely way less or gone right after a good BM. of course it starts back up again later on
This is a marvelous site for people like us -IBS sufferers.Some people use the olive oil method and find it is the answer to flatulence problems. Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil each night on an empty stomach. Believe it or not -- THIS ACTUALLY WORKS. There is scientific study to support. Please consider giving this a try. It's the only thing that's worked for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Might as well give it a try I guess, nothing to lose. The other thing I notice it it seems at it's absolute worst an hour to four hours after I've gotten up, and passing gas a few times seems to eventually help reduce the smell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.