Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I have had a rough last year...I finally went to see a gastro-who performed numerous tests-couldn't find anything basically said it's IBS. When I first saw him he did mention anti depressants to calm my stomach-he never gave me those...next send me off to a psychotherapist-three month wait...she was no help...It this how it should work?? Am I done with the gastro now?? Is there any other options for me?? I feel hopeless..My healthcare system is all part of the same team so I can't refer out until next year?? I am down 50lbs-will they help me more if I lose maybe another 50?? Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think the gastro should still be treating you #1. Call and see if you can schedule an appointment with him to get on an anti-depressant or anti-spasmodic, or a combination of the two. I think he should be the one treating you, and if you need help with therapy that could coincide with what the gastro is offering to help you.Are you D predominant? If you are and it is severe, have you thought about Lotronex?I wanted to add that Lotronex is given to people that have tried most other IBS medications and haven't responded. I think you are newly diagnosed and am not sure if your IBS is severe (although you have lost 50lbs), so I'm not sure your Dr. would give you Lotronex. The fact that you have lost 50lbs. is what bothers me; you can't keep losing that much weight, that's why I suggested looking into Lotronex as an option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding...I have more of the constipation-two to three weeks between bms..So the gastro did give me Miralax. It took me two months to get into to him and he told me he was done with me--he pretty much implied to me that he doesn't have time to take care of these IBS cases-since they are not life threatening..I think I will probably have to go ahead and wait until January when I can switch to a new Primary dr, and health care system. I started out at 205lbs so luckily I have plenty of weight to go on!! Hopefully I can live with the pain-this is really no way fo me to live.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Oh, if you're constipation predominant, definitely don't take Lotronex!There are other IBS medications for constipation. You might want to look into Zelnorm (which a lot of people on this board use), and then there is a new one called Amitza that just came out awhile ago that a lot of people have had success with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.